ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Wd40 on Black Plastics. Has anyone got pictures ?

BMW E92/Audi S3
I did it before my car was colour coded. I had stuff stick to it, Dirt, twigs, chavs etc..

Mito Sportiva 135
^ probably wasn't rubbed in well enough, that will happen to any plastic dressing...

Yeah it will come of paint fine, but easier to spray some onto a cloth first then rub in rather than spray directly onto plastic.

cg172

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172FF
Doesn't last too long though. Meguiars Gold Class trim detailer is a much better product in my opinion...

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Doesn't last too long though. Meguiars Gold Class trim detailer is a much better product in my opinion...

About £6.00 for the Megs versus £1.80 ish for WD40 . No contest imo .

WD40 everytime . ;) Next time i use the WD40 Dicky i'll do some before an afters i.e. with the white marks and then dressed with WD40 .

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
I used it last night and it worked a treat. Just have to see how long it lasts, but worth a go. Some people buy products for the name (who would have thought you can get car detailing snobs???)

Shed.
Anyone got pics ?

And i guess its a case of apply with a cloth and buff off ?

if you apply with a cloth youll get lint all over the joint. ideally you want a foam applicator pad. and use AG bumper care.

But if your using WD40 for your bumpers i guess you dont give a s**t about your car anyway so yer wd40 on a cloth will do.

Why do you say that Michael? So just because I use 95 ron fuel it means I dont give a s**t about my car LOL what a silly comment.

R35 GTR
I use it on my bike as my girlfriends dad has used it on his bicycles for the last 20 odd years and they are still in use. He never washes the bikes, just wipes over with wd40.

Mk1 Maxim Sport
^^ lol na using baby oil might annoy the gf lol and u will look as if u love ur car just that little bit too much if ur sat there massaging baby oil into the bumpers lol

330Ci (Fail)Sport
LEATHER_InstantWaxShine_new.gif

Read about using shoe polish on a dub forum, results looked good so I tried it and have to say I was very impressed. Deep black shine stayed for ages and much better than Back to Black, etc imo.

wd40 works wonders on black plastics if you accidently get polish on them making them go white, leave on for a minute then scrub and it should lift off within a wash or two :D

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
Mine has lasted a few weeks. Back to black just covers the ground in s**t from the roads and polish etc. the wd40 is better for removing the grime and ground in stuff. Your never going to get one that lasts for long.
Colour code is the way forward.
D1cky you've got a 172, what black bits do you have?

Mito Sportiva 135
Anyone got pics ?

And i guess its a case of apply with a cloth and buff off ?

if you apply with a cloth youll get lint all over the joint. ideally you want a foam applicator pad. and use AG bumper care.

But if your using WD40 for your bumpers i guess you dont give a s**t about your car anyway so yer wd40 on a cloth will do.

That is a little bit silly to say, it is designed to displace water and does actually work well.

I have tried it on my car, and if you think I don't give a s**t about my car then you are SERIOUSLY wrong my friend...honestly it does work quite wel;.

visualize whirled pe
I am not joking I've even seen peanut butter and even veg oil mentioned in the past, when I had my Mk2 golf and my scirocco (with lots of plastic on the bumpers) one guy told me to use a hair drier or heat gun carefully on the plastics and that actually did work, then I dressed with wd40.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
^^^ Anything oil based works . Like you say , peanut butter , veg oil ..... WD40 ;)

What a silly and uneducated thing to say . You obviously haven't tried WD40 . Apply / remove it with an old microfibre cloth , solves any problems with lint ;)

Last edited:
  106 GTi
I am not joking I've even seen peanut butter and even veg oil mentioned in the past, when I had my Mk2 golf and my scirocco (with lots of plastic on the bumpers) one guy told me to use a hair drier or heat gun carefully on the plastics and that actually did work, then I dressed with wd40.

Heat is one of the best tricks for faded bumpers.

I have just used Zymol Carbon on the Pug plastics tonight as recommended by a few and will see how it holds up, beads water like the paint on a small test :)

106 GTi
Carbon does not stain trim hence why it can be used.

What happens if you get 476 on plastics ?

RenaultSport 172.
after reading somewhere on the forum you can use it and it works...

i tried it and it worked a treat :p

Mito Sportiva 135
I use 476 on window surrounds and wipers and works well. Also use on windows and is great - beads well and you can just wipe with a mf cloth and some QD and look as glossy as the paint.

Might try some on the mirror surrounds later if I am feeling brave but not so sure it will work on that type of plastic.

Mito Sportiva 135
That's why I am hesitant to try, 476 is pretty tough to remove! Maybe just try on a small area at the bottom of the mirror cap if you know what I mean (so you can't see it anyway unless you look underneath)?

106 GTi
That's why I am hesitant to try, 476 is pretty tough to remove! Maybe just try on a small area at the bottom of the mirror cap if you know what I mean (so you can't see it anyway unless you look underneath)?

Sod that even use someone elses car !

Mito Sportiva 135
Ha yeah or that! My mum's golf is normally my test car, although it is newer and more expensive than my car it is in a s**t condition in comparisson!

Will be giving it a good seeing to over the summer though...