ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

VOLVO TURBO POWERED MK2 CLIO

clio turbo
Hi all thought i's start a new thread as the old one was poo...

Basicly had lot's of progress the last few weeks, got the clio engine out and got the wiring loom split into the wires i need and the wires i dont need and also sorted out the volvo loom and retaped it.. All in all a easy conversion as the volvo loom only has 5 wires you need to think about, and you only use 3 of them or in my case 2 as i retained the clio fuel pump feed.. ;) But retaining the clio ecu like i did is a little more fiddly but i need it for speed sensor and fuel pump feed etc..

100_0888.jpg

100_0922.jpg

Sorted out the RSI mount and modded the cambelt inner cover to take it...
100_0921.jpg

100_0920.jpg

Bolted up the clio gear box to the volvo lump and it fitted a treat just had to move 3 dowls, i only had a auto flywheel but the whole point of fitting this was to trial run it to see if it would fit and to check i had the wiring correct, it's all comming back out to be rebuilt and i now have a 172 flywheel to fit and a up rated clutch..

100_0929.jpg

Then the fitting in, engine slotted in perfect and cleared every thing even the power steering will work...

100_0931.jpg

Turbo is pretty close to the bulk head but still plenty of clearence..
100_0932.jpg

I then had a spare couple of hours before i had to spend time with the mrs :quiet: so i thought i'd try and get her running, i roughly placed the loom where it needed to be and connected all the wires up, i also had to keep the renault ecu for stuff like fuel pump circuit as i didnt want to use the one built into the volvo loom and the speed sensor runs through the ecu aswell so i had to retain the clio ecu and just add in the 2 volvo ecu's...
Looks a mess but remember this is a trial run to see whats going where..
100_0933.jpg

100_0934.jpg

Best bit is i turned the key and it fires and ran first hit... :star::star::rasp:

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Good effort...I number of people have done this conversion...But tbh the gains for the effort put in were minimal.

clio turbo
Good effort...I number of people have done this conversion...But tbh the gains for the effort put in were minimal.

I got a richmod ecu and a few other tweaky bits, should see 160 bhp, i know a 172 is quicker but you gotta have the turbo kick :rasp:

Plus i paid £10 for a whole running mot'd 480 turbo and the clio cost me £200 with a blown engine, I'm a mechanic so cost no labour... Cheap 160 bhp fun....

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I got a richmod ecu and a few other tweaky bits, should see 160 bhp, i know a 172 is quicker but you gotta have the turbo kick :rasp:

Plus i paid £10 for a whole running mot'd 480 turbo and the clio cost me £200 with a blown engine, I'm a mechanic so cost no labour... Cheap 160 bhp fun....

A standard 172 is usually around 165bhp so pretty close and am guessing a fair bit more torque.

£210 for 2 cars! Should get a tidy amount back when scrapping the volvo once you've taken all you need too.

Really wish I was good at stuff like this!

ITB'd MK1
awesome spanner twirling!!!! bargain price too

Oh, you mentioned using a 172 flywheel. The trigger pattern is different on these, so you wont be able to do that if you keep the stock ECU :)

clio turbo
awesome spanner twirling!!!! bargain price too

Oh, you mentioned using a 172 flywheel. The trigger pattern is different on these, so you wont be able to do that if you keep the stock ECU :)

Some people say they are the same and a few others have said they wont fit... Looking at it it looks very similar to the volvo one and even has the same cut outs for the sensor pick up... The chap that sold it to me runs a engine managment company and claims it will fit perfect and has been drilled and tapped to take a volvo 210 mm clutch...

If any one else can shed some light i'd be very pleased... :approve:

clio turbo
Got the battery fitted in the boot today, i used a corsa 16v bolt in tray and clamp cost £16... Got a heavy duty earth lead and bolted that to the floor, i then ran a 38mm squared power cable down the inside of the car, i clipped it all along the passenger side under the plastic trim so you can't even see it's there, only took a hour and I'm pleased with the out come..
100_0940.jpg

Got my alloy panel cut out ready to mount the 3 ECU's on, the main power cable comes in just above it and i will have a isolator switch mounted next to the fuel cut switch.. And also extended the speed sensor wires so they reach the gear box and neatly tied my wires i need together and all the ones i dont need are now ready to be mounted in a box which i will fit under the passerger head light/ arch liner out the way..
100_0943.jpg

Idea's welcome chaps.. :banghead:

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
can you get hold ov another Volvo turbo engine and do it to my car please :D

thats frikin aweseom fella, lucky you kno what your doing, those Loom's just looke like string to me, no idea what they do lol.

clio turbo
Great going mate. Catch up on Msn soon.

Hi dave mate, yeah i took your advice mate and kept half the clio ecu and just fobbed off what i didn't need.. Thanks alot for your help, catch up on msn next time ur on

can you get hold ov another Volvo turbo engine and do it to my car please :D

thats frikin aweseom fella, lucky you kno what your doing, those Loom's just looke like string to me, no idea what they do lol.

Na it's not that bad a job, just read the diagrams over and over and your there, spose i have a added bonus of being a mechanic and having my own place to do it..
I'm not going for show and shine looks, keeping it standard looking but with good power, like a sheep in wolf's clothes.. :)

clio turbo
Does any one know if it matters if i extend the speed sensor wires, i extended them about 30 cm, the wires were just ordinary wires nothing special about them i extended them by about 30 cm and soldered all joins and heat shrunk them all up..

Will this be ok...

White Clio 1.2 @ 172
Does any one know if it matters if i extend the speed sensor wires, i extended them about 30 cm, the wires were just ordinary wires nothing special about them i extended them by about 30 cm and soldered all joins and heat shrunk them all up..

Will this be ok...

Shouldn't imagine it would be an issue, the only time I could envisage it giving you grief is if the wire is impedance based measurement. I.E it measures the speed by the ammount of Ohm's resistance across the wire but I highly doubt that's the case.

I'm no expert but as said I shouldn't imagine it being an issue at all.

clio turbo
Yes it's the 1.7 ohc 8 v engine b18ft lump...

Well the wires on the sensor are just plain old wires so i doubt that they are measured on resistance, thing is i didn't want to tidy all the loom up and then find out it wont read the correct speed and have to pull all those wires out again that would be a nightmare lol...

Finaly found a few places to put the ecu's, got 3 of the basterds to hide, im thinking of hiding the renault ecu under the passenger front head light then put the 2 volvo ecus on the alloy panel on the passenger inner wing... Just gotta think about water getting in there etc....

Also i was wondering if the fuel lines are big enuf, the volvo lines seam twice the size but it does run but when you rev it and hold it at a steady rpm range it just dies out and stops, but fires right up again then soon as you hold it at a rpm range again it stops... I am running the standard pump for time being which has 50 litres a hour less than the volvo pump... I'm thinking of changing the pump and pipes all at the same time..

172//Crap Micra//Bus
Great work pal, never seen this done before. Good to see something different being done. Out of interest, what would be the maximum output on something like this, realistically speaking.

clio turbo
Great work pal, never seen this done before. Good to see something different being done. Out of interest, what would be the maximum output on something like this, realistically speaking.

About 160 bhp with my rich mod ecu, you could go more but i dont see the point as the car aint rally geared up to take much more, i mite give it a 50 bhp shot of nos lol..

Gonna be a right sleeper! You're gonna have some fun there!!
That's all i wanted, cheap fast sleeper... :rasp:

clio turbo
Bit more progress..

Got all the wiring loom sorted today decided to mount the two volvo ecu's under the scuttle panel out the way and clipped the loom in place down the inner wing...
Just made a hole in the bulk head panel for the wires to go through and i also fitted a ignition feed to the loom and put a direct feed to the fuel pump from the volvo loom, decided against the idea of keeping the clio fuel circuit as it kept cutting out and restarting, i'd say it's summit to do with half the renault ecu being dissconnected lol...
100_0951.jpg

100_0952.jpg

100_0955.jpg

When panel is fitted it looks perfect i think..

100_0953.jpg

Moved all the renault ecu to under the head light on the chassis rail, all water proof and all the dead wires bunched up..
Also extended the main live on the volvo loom and roughly posistioned it where i needs it to be..

100_0957.jpg

100_0958.jpg

clio turbo
Got the water system all sorted now, also ran it till it was warm and it started and stopped fine with no issues at all.
Now the engine has to come out to fit the fly wheel and clutch in and job's done...

Need a inter cooler any body got any idea's as to what would be a good fit...

clio turbo
At first i was thinking about putting it into a 3 door rsi but then i thought every one's done that so i thought i'd make a 4 door sleeper instead. This way no one suspects a thing untill ya smoke em lol..

clio turbo
Well as for progress, not much.. had a major head ache with fly wheel issues and then i snapped my tdc sensor wires clean off...

Fitted new subframe bolts and painted the manifold, sent me ecu away for the rich mod, should see 170 at the fly... Now just waiting for my fly wheel and ecu to turn up then i can fit the engine back in proper this time...