ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very strange noise

Scirocco GT 210
When I drive over a bump in the road, I occasionally hear this very bizarre noise.

Roughly once every 5 bumps or so I drive over, instead of the usual quiet, dull 'bump' noise you get it makes this noise instead. I can only describe this noise as the sound plates (plates which you eat your dinner off) make when you stack them.

It sounds like it's coming from the right hand side of the car, can't say whether it's the back or the front though.

It only happens when I drive over bumps, cracks, potholes, manhole covers in the road etc, but not when driving over speed bumps - that might be because I always take them slowly though. Doesn't happen when I take corners, accelerate fast or brake hard.

Anybody got any ideas what it might be?

MK1 Clio 16v
Did you forget you have a dinner set in your boot from when you went shopping? :rasp:

Could be something in the brakes?

My calipers were loose on both sides after a mate of mine changed the disks for me, they were dead tight when he re-fitted them but they loosened up, they rattled like hell whenever i went over bumps in the road.. Sounded a little bit like what you describe.

Just a thought!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i had something similiar on my 205 gti. might be totally off here, but on mine it was the little anti rattle pads on the brake calipers which stopped the brake pads from movin and rattling. small L shaped long piece of plastic with the clip at bottom of caliper with the pads resting on top.
try lookin at that? p1ssed me off for weeks!!

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
could also be the exhaust rattling against one of the heat shilds under the car.

Scirocco GT 210
What have you checked?

It's not the exhaust, I've tried shaking it and the noise isn't as 'tinny' as the noise the exhaust makes when I banged it about. So it isn't the exhaust.

I've tried jacking the car up and using pieces of wood to lever the front and back wheels up and down - not a sound, so I don't think it's the suspension. Shocks aren't leaking, springs are not damaged.

The CV joint, anti roll bar and bushes etc all look fine and well.

Really am stuck to what it is :dead:

Might give the brakes a good looking over.

Leon Cupra 300
When the car is on the flat, just check the clearence as the exhaust passes over the rear suspension beam. If there are marks on it and is a small gap i'd guess it is that, or was on mine anyway. They twist on the last join as the backbox is only clamped at one side and therefore drop! Just needs pulling apart, re-pasting and re-clamping, sorted.