ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Very strange 12v socket fault

Evo
So basically I'm stumped here, asked an auto electrician and he too hasn't a clue. Car in question is a 2000 ph1 172.

Regarding the 12v socket, there's power to it and the fuse is not blown. Phone chargers and sat navs etc. all work perfectly fine. The problems begin when I plug a tyre pump into it, the pump powers up and I get lights and pressure reading but when I turn the pump on everything just goes blank, as soon as you turn the pump off it lights back up into standby.

Firstly I presumed it was the pump so bought another and same thing happens, tried both pumps in other cars and they both work fine so fault is definitely with the socket. It cuts all power completely when a heavy drain of power tries to be supplied. Is there some kind of safety cut out or a faulty relay?

thanks for any help.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Sounds like it is trying to draw more current than the socket can provide. It's either the limitations of the socket, or their is a high resistance in the wiring to the socket.

Clio Cup
Id go with owen has said. The draw on the socket itself if too large

Though id expect it to be designed for a 5amp circuit as thats what its meant to be plugged into.

Have you tried with the engine running? See what if any errect that has

Evo
It used to work perfectly not only last week so whatever the fault is its recent. Haven't tried with running engine I will though!

Many.
Could also be the earth, pretty sure it runs back to the top of the dash.

If you still can't fix it, run a new supply, that's man enough. I'll always offer my help too

Evo
Cheers chaps I'm going to try it with the motor running later.

Edit: internally the socket looks clean and corrosion free and no liquid has been spilt down there.

Clio 182 cup
V=IxR
Your Voltage is being dropped across a high Resistance, the higher the "I" Current you draw the higher the voltage across the high Resistance.
ie. if 5 Volts drop across the resistance you only get about 7 volts and not 12volts at the pump.
Will Have a potential of 14.4 ish volts with the engine running so might help as mentioned above.

This don't help much as you now need to find the poor connection / high resistance.
At least you now know its not Witchcraft.

Good Luck

Evo
Quick update, been sitting on this fault for ages.

It does work with the engine running. I'm going to try a new socket.

Evo
Update for anyone else searching this fault, it was the socket itself at fault.

New item from renault @ £35 I believe, fitted it in the car park very simple. Works a treat now!