ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

vegetable oil in diesel

clio rxe
Ive heard that you can use vegetable oil in diesel engines instead of diesel, is this true? ive a 2002 model and was wondering if my enhgine could run on it as its a hell of a lot cheaper than buyin diesel, anyone know?

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
You cant put in straight in that I do know as on cold morning its to viscous.

You need to get a pre-heater to heat it up a bit before It goes into the engine.

Do a search for bio diesel on the i.net.

Is more complicated than just pouring it in anyway

Lionel Richie
you can run it on a 50/50 mix no bother, but your car MUST have a bosch injection pump, if its a lucas forget it

clio rxe
ur a prick alexbleubolt, very brave hiding behind a user name and internet forum, i asked a civil question and have always get helpful answers back from other users, but you, your just a wanker

you can run it on a 50/50 mix no bother, but your car MUST have a bosch injection pump, if its a lucas forget it

Drat, beat me to it!

As Fred said you MUST have a bosch pump lol.

Oh and in the local rag, there was an article about the local plod cracking down on cars that smell like chip shops.

535d / t5 caravelle
just googled it pal, theres loads of top info, i'll be filling up with the s**t next time in the 106 ha ha.....................quality!

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
i would be very hesitant about using vege oil in a modern commen rail deisal engine as the tolerences in the pump and injectors are so fine its unbelievable. i would do research on it just to check what exactly to do

Ultra 197 ex 172 Cup
hey thick, I bet you wont ever put vegetable oil in your "enhgine"
maybe they should change this place to the cliodiesel.net or clioveggieoil.net then you and mark can join, and leave this place to the people with sports engines

Your not gunna have many friends round here if you speak to people like that. I dont understand the need to argue all the time :(

Tangoed Works
its fcuked how saving money can be illegal. as long as emissions are being flouted, the government shouldnt give a toss if you pisss in your tank.

but then they depend on the motorist heavily to line their pockets

2005 Nissan Navara
The fine and penalties for running on veggy oil (or mix) is the same as running on cherry...both are non-taxed fuels.

You can get around the tax issue (and so legalities) of running on veggy, but you have to register as a business, and certain milaege/cost restricions are put in place.

2005 Nissan Navara
cherry isnt legal for road use btw whatsoever, EXCEPT for streetlight repair/fitting wagons, which can use it whilst driving between lamposts, but the second they are travelling the highway as a road vehicle, they have to use derv.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
The fine and penalties for running on veggy oil (or mix) is the same as running on cherry...both are non-taxed fuels.

You can get around the tax issue (and so legalities) of running on veggy, but you have to register as a business, and certain milaege/cost restricions are put in place.

once you use cherry it stains all your fuel lines etc so can be detected even if you switch back to normal deisal. least with vege made fuel once you switch back to normal deisal nobodys non the wiser

CS Dungeon
It is now LEGAL to use veg oil in a diesel with NO TAX to pay.....

Provided you use less than 2500 litres a year.

I am using 10% Sunflower oil mixed with the diesel and Millers additive .... on a Daily basis.

It is both quieter than normal and better MPG.

I have used upto 90% sunflower with diesel and Millers in hot weather........ with even better MPG .......

However if the engine goes Cold (parked over a couple of hours) it can be a bugger to start ........ but its great for long journeys (Lancashire to London or Scotland) or if I'm not really stopping anywhere.

On 5% to 45% I find no starting differences to straight diesel ---- even in winter!

ALL you need to be Duty Free, is use under 2500ltrs veg oil per year ....... AND keep a log of amount used ( a simple notebook will do) .. there is NO registration or Licence required.

CS Dungeon
First point :-
you smell like a chippie if you recycle oil from a chippie --- its long and complicated (plenty of sites tell you how) and if only a very, very small error in filtering --- it will clog the injectors fast.

As a bynote :- if you use oil from the local chinese, you smell like a chinese chippy --- I tried it.

Police in some areas stop anyone with a "smell" as it must be illegal ---- in fact most recyclers use a recognised "recipe" and pay (used to pay) the fuel duty at 28 or 43p per litre.

IF YOU USE NEW OIL - THERE IS NO SMELL it is "cleaner" smelling than pure diesel.

Second Point:-
I use Oil from the supermarket shelf ---- no processing --- no filtering --- as it comes.

higher priced oil is no improvement ..............

Sunflower oil is the highest cetane and therefore best.

Rapeseed (marked "veg oil" or "canola") is great, better lubricant but slightly lower cetane.

Olive Oil, Palm oil, grapeseed oil etc tend to wax too easily (waxing blocks the filters, pipes and injectors) --- if in doubt, set you fridge to its coldest (not the freezer) and put a bottle of oil in it --- if it goes cloudy, it is useless in colder weather.

Point three:-
Blended with diesel at 5 to 20% oil added to diesel --- no mods are normally needed in most conditions (except Transits etc with lucas/cav pumps)

at 20 to 50% oil added to diesel -- no mods on longer journeys or where stopping does not allow the engine to fully cool (1/2 hr in winter upto 2hrs stopped in summer)

at 50 to 90% oil added to diesel --- no mods but make sure you put in fresh diesel hen parking up or it can be a sod to start in cooler weather.

Generally there are few problems with merc vans and mpv's if the thermostat is good (cold engines do not run oil very well -- 90c is much better than 70c)

----------------
I run blended in all weathers, adjusting the ratio according to the weather (very, very roughly)

I always use Millers Diesel additive slightly stronger than the bottle says (4 to 6 measures in a tank) as it gets rid of the crap (see previous threads on millers from me and others) and stops "caramalising" when the engine is cold.

Low Sulphur diesel is better for the environment than older diesels but the sulphur acted as a lubricant --- you add the veg oil to replace the lubricant effect.

currently I am getting 47mpg from a 1997 108d that managed 32mpg when I bought it ---- No Mods ---- "blown through" with Millers diesel additive and straight diesel (one bottle in 2 tanks diesel) -- it ain't pleasant but it works ------- then the mix as outlined.
-------

If you follow the rules (1st in this thread) and use under 2500 ltrs in a year --- its fully legal NOW.

If you want to run on pure veg oil ONLY or to make your own bio diesel from used oil --------- I fully recommend Smartveg UK - advanced diesel to veg oil car conversion system for recipes and/or full veg oil conversions.

So is using that like PAYE where you pay tax on the oil above 2,500ltrs or if you go over you have to tax it all?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
so you could run a dci on this s**t? i need a run about to get to work and back and work in a supermarket where i can order s**t loads of this stuff at discount!