ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Valver V’s 172

do a search or read through the forums and you will be able to read all the arguements for and against both cars - not sure we need another 10 page arguement about mine is better, nah nah, no, mine is faster nah nah, no yours is sh*te nah nah :mad:

so, be warned - if this turns into a sl*gging off each others cars I will delete the thread :devilish:

Trophy

Personally having had one of the fastest 16vs in the club and currently owning a Cup and a Williams 2 i can say that the older models are more involving to drive, the Cup is a little sedate for my liking although there are benifits to driving a brand new car with warranty.

Dont get me wrong, if i could afford to, i would keep the Cup but due to buying a house it has to go.

Speed wise the 172 will beat a standard 16v but most are no longer standard, handling depends on what suspension has been fitted to the Valver.

I still prefer the looks of the 16v/Williams to the newer 172s but thats just my opinion, wish i could still buy a brand new willy!

Bring back the Mk1!!!

Retro,
Mat.

there both fast clios. nuff said. 172 is faster tho.

put it this way. If a 172 owner had his car in garage for a week and they offered him a valver over a 172 for a courtesy car, id bet most would go for a valver.

and vice versa.

so theres that sorted :)

great car choice by the way. just watch it in the wet. i lost the back end of mine somewhat tonight on an and island and i wasnt goin that quick. always the way when you get used to hot weather i find. :oops:

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Im with Mat, little more charater in the older models IMO.

The 172 is still 1 of the best looking new hot hatchs available! :cool:

omg

if reno brang back the old willy maybe with a few extra engine tweaks i would soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bye one lol

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

It all depends on what you are after for a car.

The 172 is fast, corners ok, is newish and has less rattles, subtle differentaition characteristics from its lesser models, however every man and women round my way seems to have one. If your after exclusivity dont get one.

The 16v is also very quick to 125mph, only 2/3secs slower to 120mph if that depending on what 172 you get to race against lol. The 16v has striking looks with the bonnet bulge, integrated flared arches and roof spoiler, a more racey suspension package than the 172 with less body roll when cornering. Becoming more and more exclusive by the day. Its a more hardcore alternative, never ending reving engine that standard revs to just over 7000rpm and has a kick from the cams at 4000rpm which always puts a smile on pasengers faces!:)

The arguement of which is better really depends on what your looking for in a car. If you want a normal car that goes fast get a 172. If you want something which stands out from the crowd get a 16v/willy/cup/V6.

Quote: Originally posted by Red16 on 17 July 2003

16v cos 172 is modern, soft, lardy, common and mailto:sh@t">sh@t!
in your opinion only of course!!! :D mine is definitely not soft, lardy or common, but it is modern

The 16v is fast becoming regarded as a classic hot hatch of the old school. Ive had mine for two years now and it always turns heads and gets comments/questions. Valvers really look the part and theres definitely no confusing them with any of the lower Mk1 models. The Valver will always be in the shade of the Williams it spawned, but its still rare and definitely an enthusiasts choice nowadays - partly because of their reputation, relatively slow depreciation (for a 9-12 year old car) and very high running costs.

The 172 hasnt had the chance to become "rare" or the "enthusiasts choice" yet and only time will tell if it is to be. Certainly hot hatches are enjoying massive sales popularity at the moment, so more 172s are being sold than Valvers ever were. My tip is for the Mk1 172 and 172 Exclusive. Theyll be the most desirable IMO in years to come in circles like ours.

Cant comment personally on handling/speed etc, although it seems that Valvers have the edge on handling and the 172s are a little quicker.

Seeing as for a short time I had both Williams and 172 MK1 at the same time (and a 172 MK2 until Nov. last year), Id say Im fairly well qualified on this one.

Williams - simply stunning around corners. Never driven a car like it for handling prowess. Engine from a tractor, but I can forgive it that. Straight line speed not amazing, but able to keep up with the majority of modern hot hatches in a straight line.

172 MK2 - Nice interior, great toys, cool headlamps, wonderful engine, solid handling (when lowered - std. springs too mushy for my liking). Let down by being a wee bit too heavy due to those toys. Used to drive mine around with the rears out along with anything else easily removable. Made it more fun.

172 MK1 - Naff dashboard plastics aside, the interior is fine. I personally preferred the look and feel of the MK2 172 interior. My car is totally std. at the moment, so the handling feels soggy compared to the Williams. However, after inital disappointment at the handling, Ive realised that its just been set up softer than the Williams was from the factory. I can take my favourite peak district corners nearly as quick in the 172 mk1 as in the Williams. Its just fecking scary! The car leans to much, and because of the weight transfer on the soft springs it can snap out of corners that have been taken hard. Im going to lower it and fit k-techs camber bolts, and I think that will take it to somewhere closer to the Zen point of FWD handling that is the Williams.

The other bonus of the MK1 is that it is a useful few KG lighter than the mk2 172. Id be interested to see what the mk1 would be like with the MK2 gearbox in it though. If I ever kill the box, then Im going to have a mK2 box fitted in replacement.

As for the comments that people make about the old MK1 clio hot hatches getting more "looks" out on the road, it simply isnt true. Ive had all three varieties of hot clio now (okay, apart from the V6!), and you will get plenty of envious looks with any of the models.

In fact, more people have stopped to talk to me about the 172s that Ive had than the Williams! Shame that the Williams attracted more attention from the wrong sort of people :(.

In short, a Valver or a Williams can be tuned to be as quick or quicker than a standard 172. A 172 can be modified to handle as well or better than a Williams. Depends how much money youre willing to chuck at modding and insurance. I personally love sporty Clios, and having had loads of experience with them now, Id say that they all have a very similar character to them, despite 12 years seperating the oldest and newest models.

Sorry for the essay!