ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Using phone in US

White Sti Hatch
Heading to Orlando at the end of the month and want to be able to use my phone over there at a reasonable price but have been told itll cost me a fortune by the t-mobile shop, is there anything i can get here or over there even if it means unlocking my phone etc to use it ??

dk

911 GTS Cab
How is buying a payg sim going to help though, as then you'll still spend a fortune on that calling back to the UK.

The best way is to just text all the time and buy a phone card out there, they are dirt cheap (like £6 will get you an hour plus back to the UK) and just use them from hotel room or villa as it's a freephone number.

dk's idea is the best. PAYG rates to call internationally from the States using a USA SIM are comical. Expect to pay around $1.50 a minute. The phone networks over there really do take the piss

White Sti Hatch
Im not looking to call home with it its to keep in touch with everyone im going with while were out n about, texting & local calls (US) only and if i can get a mobile internet "plan" at the same time for like $1 a day its made of win !

Calling home would only be done from villa with phone card

If thats the case then you just need to get your phone unlocked and stick a SIM in when you get there. Its kinda different to PAYG in the UK.

PrepaidPlansChart.gif

Looks like you can buy monthly plans or just do PAYG but call rates differ dependent on how much you top-up by. Also you get charged to receive texts. No wonder texting isn't popular in the states! Retarded networks :/

If you got the phone from T-Mobile direct (eg phone/net/store) they are locked to TMUK. Unfortunately you won't be able to put a TMUSA SIM in as it will only take TMUK and Virgin UK SIMs. Even though TMUK and TMUSA are part of the same group the locking on them is country specific so the phone will still need to be unlocked :(

White Sti Hatch
If you got the phone from T-Mobile direct (eg phone/net/store) they are locked to TMUK. Unfortunately you won't be able to put a TMUSA SIM in as it will only take TMUK and Virgin UK SIMs. Even though TMUK and TMUSA are part of the same group the locking on them is country specific so the phone will still need to be unlocked :(

A ffs ! women in the shops a liein cow then

Go cry to your momma!
You can buy an AT&T "go phone" for about $20 from best buy, I'm sure they come with credit..

Getting your hands on a US' sim didn't seem that easy when I was over recently.