ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Urgent Help Needed

MK1 RSi

My car has stopped working, after turning off the imboliser and trying to turn the key it doesnt start,

The relay clicks however nothing happens, we have checked the voltage of the battery which is steady 12 v and tried to jump start it but nothing.
Just clicking.

HELP

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
the clicking is the starter motor trying to turn. if your sure batery is ok try the following;

check you oil, make sure you engine hasnt melted.

put the car in 1st gear, then push it forwards/rock the car. sometimes the starter motor gear get stuck, this help release it.

unscrew the starter motor, and then try to start car, you'll be able to see if the starter motors turning, if not, its burnt out, you'l need a new one

A number of clios
my mate had the same problem with is. the battery was no good he bought a new one n it worked fine. get the battery checked mate

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
^^^^ you pin heads dont read...he said he tryed to jump start it, so its not the battery is it!

sorry dont mean to be mean, just annoying when people dont read the whole post, and then make up an answer.

i know what you mean mate, f***s me off when people reply with silly answers.

Anyway further development has suggested that its hopefully an imboliser problem, ive removed most of it myself but got a guy coming around today to remove it completly.

If it doesnt work after that its a new starter motor i think.... :(

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
good luck ;) oh btw..if it dont wrk when put it all back:: do yu have the imobaliser where the chip is placed in the side of the key? worth trying the other key if so, sometimes they send out wrong code! mine did this until i made it kiss the floor...then worked again! lol.

the reason why i dont think its the immobaliser tho is because they dont normally stop the starter motor from turning over, they just stop the spark, so the car wont start...unless you have a 3rd party one?

right, the laserline (aftermarket) imboliser has been fully removed and still nothing.

Which could mean its the starter motor, however why would bump starting not make it work?

The original renault imboliser is still there and still sort of active however the LED doesnt ever flash which is confusing. Where does this go to (got told the ECU) and how could it be sorted?

Renault know sh*t all

Please help

If it won't bump start then thats not pointing towards teh starter motor as even if the starter motor was buggered it would still bump start.

Are you getting any spark atall?

Clio 172 51 plate black
Hiya

i have a 96 Rsi and have experienced similar problems. however i was able to bump start mine. at first i thought it was the immobiliser but turned it on and off and nothing happened. after my car not doing anything for around 2 hours it just started working again. took it to the garage and all the could find was a lose earth wire. they tightened it up and has worked everytime since. they said if it happened again i would have to replace the starter motor

Dibbz_rsi

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Dave, it could be your ecu in that case....might have completely died. you can pick up second hand ones for £25 or so...

what you need to do is.....take the starter mototr out (2 bolts, very easy), then try and turn the oter over as if you were starting the car, if the motor turns, then its ok. if not, use your volt meter to check if any powers getting to the stater motor when the key is turned.

im not sure if renault put there immobalisers in the ecu (alot of cars do)....the light for the immobaliser should flash every second when the ingnition is switched off and the key is removed.

if it is a fault with the ecu, it might just be the wiring loom, they arnt very well made, and after time the wires rub thru, check the loom for splits.

chack to see if your head lamps come on while the ignition is on....if you hve a dead short, this would stop it from working. saying that tho, you've tested the volts off the bat while trying to start and said it was ok...

let us know if any of this works....iv got more to try if it dont.

as far as im aware the ecu holds the imboliser aswell (got told that today)

Ill try some earthing of relays 2morro, also going to look undernearth and give the thing a wack and see if it does out.

Surely if the ECU had gone some warning lights would show on the dash?

anyone got a picture of the starter motor?

or can describe where i should be looking, ive been under the car for 10mins and cant find anything :S

its ok now.

Works fine :D

I wasnt expecting the motor to be so hiden away :eek:

anyway it turned out to be a the connector on the solenoid, i also gave it a wack with a hammer as its fucked me off for the last 2 days.

Thanks for the help :D

Looking for a ph-quick...
well done dave!
this is why we love our Mk1 clios so much! no matter how they go wrong its always the smallest little thing to fix!

Long live Mark 1's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!