ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

urgent help.. 182 wont start (does nothing)

Clio 182
just been out for a drive, and went to go out again..

I can't see my battery being dead, everything works with the keys in, cd etc - but when I go to turn the engine over all I hear is a click from a relay, there is no hint of a sound of the engine trying to start..

anyone got any ideas of where I should be looking? seems odd that it was running absolutely fine and now wont do anything!

thanks

Nick

172 A Cupwork Orange™
do your doors lock ok check the fuses would be the first thing to check

Clio 182
doors lock fine, any idea which fuses might be at fault? I can't see one for the ignition on the diagram.. not sure what other fuses it could be.. unless its one from under the bonnet?

It has recently had a replacement engine (1000 miles ago) so I suppose there is a small chance something is loose, but I have no idea what!

172 A Cupwork Orange™
the best thing to do is to check the light on the center of the dash if the light doesn't go out when your attempting to start then the problem is down to the engine immobiliser not the battery etc.
as for the fuse it is usualy a five amp one that controls ur hazards,door locks and immobiliser i cannot remember which one it is it went on mine once when i changed my cd player, best to check them all,
after you have done that try bumping it see if it actualy starts

sounds like battery. mine did this, but i been out for like an hour driving, then went to pick up the gf, stopped for 15 mins then it was dead.

CLios seem to cook the batterys after about 3 years.

LY 182
doors lock fine, any idea which fuses might be at fault? I can't see one for the ignition on the diagram.. not sure what other fuses it could be.. unless its one from under the bonnet?

It has recently had a replacement engine (1000 miles ago) so I suppose there is a small chance something is loose, but I have no idea what!
follow the live wire from the battery untill you end up at the starter motor, then give the wire a wiggle at the end of it and try again

Clio 182
well - it seems it was the battery afterall - I really didn't expect it to just die like that!

so that means in the last month the car has cost me:

Replacement engine: £800
Fitting new engine, clutch, cambelt, general service: £1500
new rear shocks x2 (today) £106
and now I'll add a new battery to the list!

fell in love with it again on my drive before.. but its now at a real risk of being replaced if its not careful!

thanks for your replies :)

Clio 182
yep.. oil pump went, and that was that really.. crankshaft bearing siezed :(

just out of warranty too.. excellent!

I wont be selling it for a long time now, should be getting a company car soon, so this is getting turned into a country lane and track toy hopefully (if something else doesn't decide to break!)

Da

Less
Gutting mate, can't believe that Renault didn't honour it though with it been just out of warranty! :mad:

172 A Cupwork Orange™
Well at least you have got to the root of the problem now lets hope for many many miles of trouble free motoring..