ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated / modified exhaust mounts

Clio 197
I've not really looked into the options previously for replacement mounts, but there didn't seem to be much available. I had the OE mounts for 4 years before they started to fail, replaced them with aftermarket mounts available but they have lasted a little over a year.

SO..... I bought 2x Powerflex universal exhaust mounts EXH 008, about £6 / £7 each. Pic in this link
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/i/product_images/2-Exhaust Mount Cat Page.pdf

I cut the useless rubber mount flush from within the metal frame so it left a nice opening to fit. They're not a direct fit into the standard metal mount and required approx 3 - 5mm taken of each side so I still had to compress it to get it in place. cabled tied in place to ensure it can't fall out (unlikely but just incase). All I have to do now is find a 12mm drill bit and make the hole for the hangar arm.

P2010011.jpg

New exhaust arrives in a couple of days so I'll make final measurements then and get them fitted.

No more sagging :rasp:

Just wanted to say cheers Yellow Dave, i saw your guide above and fitted my powerflex exhaust mount to my cup - hopefully should last years and the exhaust is now very stable :) much better than the socket method (which still allows side to side sway) and much more cost effective than the Prima mount & doing the same job.

If anyone else is interested you can get the EXH0008 powerflex insert for £5 delivered from eBay

BG Megane 225
After wading through various threads to try and find a solution to the center exhaust hanger, I managed to get hold of a perfect sized jubilee clamp to surround the rubber on a standard mount. A few cable ties to keep it in place.. can make minor adjustments by clamping up again if needed... Let's see if the Magnex is knocking in the morning..

Clamp.jpg

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
On one of the pictures, you can see 2 yellow powerflex mounts.

Could you share a part number for that?

After wading through various threads to try and find a solution to the center exhaust hanger, I managed to get hold of a perfect sized jubilee clamp to surround the rubber on a standard mount. A few cable ties to keep it in place.. can make minor adjustments by clamping up again if needed... Let's see if the Magnex is knocking in the morning..

View attachment 67730

I'll have to take a pic of my center mount mod.....stainless jubilee clamp (same as pic) and a self tapper with a large head sitting slighlty proud screwed in the flat bit of the mount, this stops the jubilee clamp sliding off...period. Since doing this no more centre mount issues. Before, without the self tapper the clamp kept coming off.

Clio 172 Phase 1
I'll have to take a pic of my center mount mod.....stainless jubilee clamp (same as pic) and a self tapper with a large head sitting slighlty proud screwed in the flat bit of the mount, this stops the jubilee clamp sliding off...period. Since doing this no more centre mount issues. Before, without the self tapper the clamp kept coming off.

Awaiting a pic as mine is fooked

gdw

RS Clio 172
Same here, the jubilee clip one works for me but ive had two snap, i think I need higher quality clips.

Over the last week i have been modifying a secondhand pair of mounts I got for £5.

This is how my piper was sitting on the old mounts:
f7438bb2.jpg

The mounts already had some copper pipe in them, so I put some old sockets in the side and cable tied them in place. It looked like this:
03cd4350.jpg

After I done both mounts I got a tube of "stikaflex" silicone from screw-fix and filled in all the holes and gaps then left to dry for 4 days.

The finished product:

b1062d12.jpg

I had them fitted on Sunday night by a friend and the exhaust is sitting so much better. I haven't got any pictures of how it's sitting yet but I'll post one at a later date.

Just thought I'd share what I done :)

Arctic 182 FF
I did this exhaust mount mod this weekend and I am very impressed with how well it works. As mentioned above I turned the Powerflex EXH008 bushes 90 degrees so the holes provided were top and bottom. Cut 3-5mm off top and bottom to make a nice snug fit and used the top hole for the hangers. Then added a couple of tie-straps for good measure.

Exhaust is sitting perfect now (RS192), so for £10 I would say this mod is brilliant! Cheers

Golf GT & A4 Avant
On one of the pictures, you can see 2 yellow powerflex mounts.

Could you share a part number for that?

the only picture with 2 yellow mounts is the pic where the mount is fitted, and in the reflection of the exhaust to see the mount again. only 1 powerflex bush was used per mount.

Jonw that's an impressive bit of filling!

Robbie, the mounts in the kit lasted me less than a year, I personally would modify your existing mounts instead of buying new ones to modify, either with the cable tied sockets or with my method (my method obviously being the only option to consider!!!!! lol) and buy the gasket kit seperately

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
the only picture with 2 yellow mounts is the pic where the mount is fitted, and in the reflection of the exhaust to see the mount again. only 1 powerflex bush was used per mount.

Robbie, the mounts in the kit lasted me less than a year, I personally would modify your existing mounts instead of buying new ones to modify, either with the cable tied sockets or with my method (my method obviously being the only option to consider!!!!! lol) and buy the gasket kit seperately

Thanks for the clarification.

I need to order mine soon as mine is falling apart. Would the same part do for both?

Clio 182

Cheers for the advice Yellow Dave

derv biege barge
Did this with mine as replacement parts will last 6 months if you are lucky. Been good like this for over a year now.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
surprised to see this thread keep popping up still, thanks for all the feedback and suggestions.

I've since sold my Clio, but my Dad is still running this on his Mk2 RSi and working well

DCI100 / 211hp MK1
Sorry cant link on my mobile but are these te bushes I need for rear and centre mount?

Ebay- 160757647156 -rear
ebay - 150774525986 - centre

FF 182
Got my powerflex mounts today as one of mine looks pretty shagged and slightly lower than the other, will be doing this on Saturday and will upate with pictures :) hopefully I will get the pipes dead centre

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
I used a Renault centre mount but the powerflex rears and they are spot on a year later, you just need to spend some time playing a little to get it right but you don't need to change them anyway near as much as the crap Renault ones.

FF 182
I will see how it goes anyway. Those in the pics are badly done, not even the right shape and the hole in the middle is ridiculously big.

If it goes badly wrong then i will get prima ones for the rear. I have a genuine renault centre mount

Inferno 182 & Saxo
Think I'm going to invest in a set of those square powerflex mounts. Seems they only do the red kind nowadays though, shouldnt think that'd make too much difference

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
Bumpage time.

I've just ordered a set of mounts to use. Is it better to mount them on an angle like some have mentioned? Or shall I just drill the hole slightly bigger to allow for a bit more flex?

Inferno 182 & Saxo
What have you ordered? I mounted my square powerflex ones in the hanger "flat" and just drilled a hole dead centre

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I'd be grateful if you can keep the thread updated as to how they perform please, people seem to disbelieve me when I say they're still going strong

LY R26 #288
Just ordered me some of these. After about a year of fitting NWP rear hangers they've given up the ghost and the exhaust is knocking like mad.

Try these before I go spending silly money on oem ones.

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
Have put some zip ties on. Thought i had some but then couldnt find them! so popped out in the van to get some