ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Uprated / modified exhaust mounts

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I've not really looked into the options previously for replacement mounts, but there didn't seem to be much available. I had the OE mounts for 4 years before they started to fail, replaced them with aftermarket mounts available but they have lasted a little over a year.

SO..... I bought 2x Powerflex universal exhaust mounts EXH 008, about £6 / £7 each. Pic in this link
http://www.powerflex.co.uk/i/product_images/2-Exhaust Mount Cat Page.pdf

I cut the useless rubber mount flush from within the metal frame so it left a nice opening to fit. They're not a direct fit into the standard metal mount and required approx 3 - 5mm taken of each side so I still had to compress it to get it in place. cabled tied in place to ensure it can't fall out (unlikely but just incase). All I have to do now is find a 12mm drill bit and make the hole for the hangar arm.

P2010011.jpg

New exhaust arrives in a couple of days so I'll make final measurements then and get them fitted.

No more sagging :rasp:

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Fitted the rs 192 system today and got the mounts drilled and in place, works a treat and would highly recommend buying the poly bushes instead of cheap aftermarket mounts. didn't take any pics today but I will do tomorrow and post them up in the afternoon

Cro

Meg'd r27
I did the exact same using basically a bigger version of this
exhaust%20mounts.jpg

Works a treat almost 2 years on

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I just filled all around the outside of the standard one with Tigerseal, bob on 40k later still!

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the OE holes are slightly raised over centre when no weight is on them, so I kinda did the same. I proppod up the tail pipes to where I'd like them to site, marked the rubber then drilled it.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I'm thinking of filling mine with some sealant, I'm having the k-tek engine mounts plus poly dogbone so exhaust doesn't really move now. So I'm guessing the brackets Fred was talking about will be fine?

b/g 182, meg tourer
best just packing the oem mount out with small bits of rubber hose and cable ties in place, still room to move then. bit pikey i know, but it works well and my car is a bit pikey!

FF 182
id like to know this ^^^^ also, im currently using sockets to pack my mounts as they are completely nakerd after 2 months (NWP + miltek)

Dave - couldnt you have turned the powerflex mount by 90deg and the slot the exhaust hanging arm through the semi circle hole?

Black Gold Trophy
Well done mate, I thought of this ages ago but i've just never been bothered to sort out finding some PU bushes that fit, but credit to you for making it work

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I'm thinking of filling mine with some sealant, I'm having the k-tek engine mounts plus poly dogbone so exhaust doesn't really move now. So I'm guessing the brackets Fred was talking about will be fine?

Do it, thats what I did with mine using "tigerseal" and like I said still working great, also works on engine mounts ;)

Golf GT & A4 Avant
No reason why you can't turn it 90 deg. but then it won't be held on place as such and will move around within the slot both up and down and sideways. Plus doing it this way meant it gave a better fit within the hanger, and I could also make the whole exactly where I wanted it.

They are stiff, but if you get hold of the tailpipe there is still a degree of flex in them still to allow for engine / exhaust movement if needed. It just doesn't bump around with general small road bumps too much.

As for the packing out of the OE mounts with sockets etc. wheres the flex and give in that?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
as an alternative to tigerseal, would some normal silicone do the job of filling the OE mounts?

Ph1 172
i've just fitted one that i filled with normal clear silicone,. Do have another that i fill will tigerseal when i get time.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
I packed mine with general purpose black silicone the other day (heat resistant up to 120 degrees-which seemed enough) an finally the tailpipes sit properly when engine cold at least.. once exhaust gets hot the left one gets off-center a bit but I'm not too bugged about that
pic showing when cold:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z273/rippttor/Photo0069.jpg (couldn't insert image cause of some error-sorry)

This is a simple mod and I reckon it will last pretty well

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I have modified some old mounts with these bushes now.

Have cut it down and mounted it 90 degrees turned to the OP's. The hole should be suitably located for the exhaust now.

The bush was quite tight fitting but i have silicon'ed around it to hold it in place. Movement is good as you have the hole at the bottom which allows it to flex vertically and the silicone at the sides allows it to flex sideways. The fit on the exhaust is also not too tight to allow movement forward and back also, but not too loose either.

Will fit them when i get chance (in good weather!) and see how it is.

DCi 80 DieselSport
This is excellent and will definately save me a few quid.

I was wondering though....

Is the middle hanger a similar design to the box hanger? Can this be done to the to the middle hanger?

If not is a case of biting the bullet and buying an OEM replacement?

Cheers.

Mental 172 Cup
I made one myself out of truck and trailer d rubber, plenty enough movement whilst being firm at the same time and cost the sum £0 :)

gdw

RS Clio 172
I need a plan for the middle mount? I replaced it with an ebay special and it lasted about 2 months... the rear I have placed a wooden block and tie wraps and its holding out fine but like the idea in this thread.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5a3dec17
Is this the middle mount you're referring to? I can't see how to improve it unless you can find a substantial way to bond a new rubber to the metal fixing plate.

Just a note to say 6 months on my mounts are still holding strong and no vibration or sound coming from them. Glad I could help some people with a cheaper but just as effective alternative to the Prima racing mounts

Golf GT & A4 Avant
the exhaust brackets? the exhaust is the same as the day it was fitted, the uprated mounts won't affect the exhaust

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
the exhaust brackets? the exhaust is the same as the day it was fitted, the uprated mounts won't affect the exhaust
Just wondered if u saw any sign of bending due to the stiffer rubber but maybe not it's all good :)

gdw

RS Clio 172
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Renault-C...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a5a3dec17
Is this the middle mount you're referring to? I can't see how to improve it unless you can find a substantial way to bond a new rubber to the metal fixing plate.
Yes that's the one.

For the centre mount:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...l-centre-exhaust-hanger&p=7674236#post7674236

I did the same as the OP for the rears and they're 100% fine (mine are the newer red rubber) after 4 months or so.

Excellent thanks for the info.

Kawasaki ER6N
Just done mine took literally 20 mins if that and still has enough play IMO to not damage the bracket.