ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upper engine mount issue..... too wide??

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
OK, so mine was ripped from the rubber, meaning it needed changing.

Rather than go solid, I grabbed a second hand one for now. But on fitting, there seemed to be more movement, more space for the mount to move in. Like the rubber buffer blocks were too small. But on checking, they were the same size. Seems the actual black metal C shaped bit of the mount is more open than the previous one.

Was there different sizings? Can I heat this one up and bend it inwards, stopping the movement? Should I fab some sort of shims to go in the gaps to make it more solid?

HALP

53 Clio's & counting
Iv never noticed any difference, but just get a big clamp and squeeze it shut a bit. bear in mind the whole mount needs to be moved forward to take the slack up too - this makes a good difference

172 cup
I've found this on a couple, like Russ said use a vice/clamp to bring them in. Just a poor design to be honest

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
crush it up in a vice. it'll be the rubber buffers are worn. If they sold those separately it would solve a lot of problems but they only come with a new mount

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
But i measured the buffers against the old ones and they matched. The actual C-cup part of the mount that they sit in is wider. Will whip it off again and get some heat/vice on it