ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

updated engine mounts experienced opinions please

CLK 55
after swapping out all my mounts for genuine new items, I'm totally disappointed in the amount of slack in the engine. especially around town. I find myself on and off the clutch much more than my other cars to keep it from jerking.
soooo.. I am going to bite the built and buy uprated ones. can anybody advise a good mix and match to keep the vibrations to a minimum? as I said the current mounts are brand new so may be able to use say one of them? And change the other two..
cheers in advance
Dave

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I would try changing the dogbone to a powerflex one and keeping the two standard engine mounts first before getting solid engine mounts.

You are likely to get more vibration through the car with solid engine mounts and if your in traffic this will probably be as annoying if not more annoying than before.

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
I would try changing the dogbone to a powerflex one and keeping the two standard engine mounts first before getting solid engine mounts.

You are likely to get more vibration through the car with solid engine mounts and if your in traffic this will probably be as annoying if not more annoying than before.

I wouldn't do that, the stiffened dog-bone will then put extra load and pressure on the standard engine/box mounts. The vibra's are fine in traffic, if installed properly. They're not 'solid' as such, they're just a lot stiffer.

JezzaMac

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't do that, the stiffened dog-bone will then put extra load and pressure on the standard engine/box mounts. The vibra's are fine in traffic, if installed properly. They're not 'solid' as such, they're just a lot stiffer.
I had it like that for the best part of a year with no issues. It stopping my manifold hitting my subframe so clearly stopped engine movement which is what the OP is trying to do.

I would agree that Vibra's aren't that bad, but I know that some people complain about them a lot. Got them on my car and noticed a little more vibration but not a huge amount.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I also had just the power flex dogbone on mine for over a year and it was fine. Its the cheapest one to upgrade, and makes a really nice difference.

I noticed a significant increase in vibration after powerflexing my dogbone, but it settled down to perfectly acceptable levels after a week or two an improved the gear stick feel massively. When I then installed VibraTech mounts I noticed next to no increase in vibration. If there was one it was minimal at first and now they've settled in I can't feel a blind bit of difference compared with just having the dogbone uprated.

For me they've all made a significant improvement over the OE mounts that the car came with when I bought it. I'd recommend doing the dogbone first as it's less £. Have it fitted for two to three weeks worth of driving to work/back etc and see if you're happy with the vibrations after that. If you are then I'd say go for it and get the VibraTech mounts.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
I agree. Even when my mounts were shot it was only heavy use of the throttle when changing gear and deliberately enducing it by stamping on and off the throttle in the higher gears that I got any knocks.

My standard mounts are spot on for normal driving.

Clio 172 phase 1
Ive got the red vibratechnics ones .... there hard .. really hard in fact its like driving a washing machine on spin cycle the whole ting vibrates and rattles and there is even a rattle for the rattle its bad.... that being said theve dramatically improved the feel of the car when on b roads ... but on a motorway there just vile

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Ive got the red vibratechnics ones .... there hard .. really hard in fact its like driving a washing machine on spin cycle the whole ting vibrates and rattles and there is even a rattle for the rattle its bad.... that being said theve dramatically improved the feel of the car when on b roads ... but on a motorway there just vile
I imagine the vibra red ones to be on a par with the PMS kit ! Have your fillings fallen out yet? :smile:

Clio 172 phase 1
There solid if i had any fillings they'd be gone :) if you leave a can of coke on the seat go for a drive then open it , it can prove to be interesting.

CLK 55
definitely something to think about. it's fit sure a engine mount problem. unless there is something a miss when the subframe. but if that was the case I'd definitely have some knocking or clunking of which there is none. the car is vastly better than before I changed the mounts. the main drivers mount was actually detached! but that said it's by far the worst engine movement between first second third, in any order that I've felt in a long time..