ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TwentyValver Project Thread

ValverInBits
Thanks for the comments,
Pete: The mongoose is fitted now. I know you've never seen one of these, but ask phil, it doesent look remotely barry

How come you went for a 2.5" not 2.75" or 3" will 2.5 not hinder the gt28 at higher revs. also how much was it.. it looks v v nice (pm if u like)
pmed

he's been doing a few little things over the last 2 weeks. Unfortunately Final year dissertation makes projects slow down. Ill ask him nicely for an update.

ValverInBits
Here we are then. The delay is annoying, I know. I've been trying to find time and money, but it's ticking over steadily.
There's 3 problems with this project. Firstly, I didn't manage to get a job over last summer so I have a cash problem. Secondly, I'm at Uni for nearly the whole year and don't get any spare time to come home. And thirdly, I've mega over-complicated this car for a first time project. If I could do it again, I would do a fair few things differently to just get a working car before searching for mega power.

Enough of my crying, the car itself:
I've recently had the subframe off recently. I've cut a tiny piece out of the N/S where the gearbox drain plug was just rubbing against it and welded in new metal. I've slathered the whole subframe in a good layer of underseal.

Downpipe and Manifold have been fitted. The manifold actually comes off with the turbo still attached and the engine in place - which is nice when you forget the gasket the first time around.

P1020071.jpg

-----
I bought some ally pipes from a seller on ebay to make up some hard boost pipes. Quite a tricky 3D jigsaw to sort them out and chop them about. Heres the pipes I bought with the IC

P1020064.jpg

Couple of modifications required to get the boost pipes in. Alot of the bumper has been chopped away from behind to accomodate the intercooler already. The fog light cables got in the way of the boost pipes, but that was an easy fix.

P1020075.jpg

On the other side of the car, this bracket that holds the carbon canister was no longer usefull:

P1020076.jpg

P1020077.jpg

Spent some time getting the boost pipes to fit. The O/S was really tough. Trying to avoid the headlight/altenator/subframe/arch liner/aux belt was tough.

P1020081.jpg

That picture is taken through the headlight hole. I may need something just to hold the pipe a little clear of the altenator.

John Deeley welded these up. This guy can really weld (ex-prodrive), and i've seen some extremely nice TIG ally welding he's done too. But he had trouble with my cheap ebay crap. I've had a few suggestions - cast ally, full of silicone - but it was just a b**ch to weld and you can see it in the results sadly.

P1020126.jpg

Ends got swaged too

P1020128.jpg

After subframe painting, I went to put the subframe back on the car only to find the williams anti-roll bar wants to destroy my nice new downpipe. The issue is that the OEM downpipe went under the subframe, but I've sent mine over the top. It gives it a better route and neatly avoids the CV gaitors. The williams ARB has a long kink in it to avoid the OEM downpipe which goes straight into my downpipe.
sideways danny mentioned the idea of using a MK2 anti roll bar - I've had a look and I think it'll work, perhaps with some slight persuasion of the tunnel to avoid the MK2 ARB kink :evil:. No pics of this atm, I was too f**ked-off to handle a camera, but I'll get some pics when I have a go with the 172 ARB.

-----

New CV joint turned up to replace the old one with the knackered thread.

P1020118.jpg

I'd already fitted the O/S shaft, so this was just for the N/S. I've found that the shafts are too thin to support the OEM CV gaitors, but I managed to create a seal using a bit of coolant hose.

P1020120.jpg

Finished shaft:

P1020121.jpg

I'm relatively confident these should be a touch stronger than the VW OEM shafts, provided the guys who fabricated them have used some half decent steel. The inboard CV spline is improved with better contact and the minimum diamter of the shafts is increased very slightly.

With both shafts on the car, I could fit new wheel bearings in the front end. GSF got it wrong the first time round, but I eventually got them in. Big thanks to John Deeley (who made my manifold and DP) for the help removing the old bearings.

P1020124.jpg

-----

Anyways, I've now got 1 month left of Uni till summer. Hopefully once I'm back, I can get the car running quite quickly, but I now can't touch it for the next month :(

How it stands:

P1020140.jpg

P1020141.jpg

P1020142.jpg

P1020143.jpg

P1020145.jpg

P1020146.jpg

P1020147.jpg

ValverInBits
thanks for the comments :D

The bonnet does close and clearance is just about ok. I may end up making some adjustments to the airvent looks. But thats more due to me not wanting rain water on the hot turbo turbine than clearance

Rally Cinquecento
Feel your pain mate, I'm at uni and trying to build a rally car from scratch, 2 years down the line and everything is still half done! Not even finished painting the cage!

Project looks good though mate, does put my project to shame a little though haha!

Polo G40 & Clio 17Poo
Tubes are formed and welded (you can see the weld line) I'd suggest monkey metal, probably old washing machines and coke cans from China...

Looking good now, reakon I can finish the red polo before you? :p

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Excellent, can't wait to see the finished product. Its going to be a bit of a monster! I can't remember if you have decided to or not but any plans for a LSD?

awesome!

that inlet looks awful close to where the headlight should be though! will there be enough room for the pipe work and the light? probs just the pics make it look alot tighter though

ValverInBits
awesome!

that inlet looks awful close to where the headlight should be though! will there be enough room for the pipe work and the light? probs just the pics make it look alot tighter though

It looks tight, because it is tight :D No-one said it was going to be easy eh!.
I've had the headlight in and it does fit.....just.

Getting there Mark, won't be long :)

Cheers mate!

ValverInBits
Just wanted to say massive thanks to dan for the 172 ARB idea.

The 172 ARB fits without a hitch. It's close to the passenger footwell, but it seems to clear.
The only catch is, I've had to use OEM 172 outer ARB bushes. The Powerflex williams/172 (same part i think) won't fit. The OEM ones are deep enough to accomodate a slightly longer bar, and I think the 172 bar is longer than the williams. Inner Powerflex bushes do fit tho.
Sod all difference in the bushes tho. I don't know why i forked out tbh

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
You finished uni now? Its can't be to far away if you havn't, so I am hoping to see some really good progress soon!

Trophy Turbo :)
WOW great thread, this will be stupidly fast :)

P.s If you need some Heat resistant material oo stop the bulk head setting on fire :) let me know the same stuff the renault f1 team use withstand 4000degree with 1mm clearance :)

The 172 ARB fits without a hitch. It's close to the passenger footwell, but it seems to clear.
The only catch is, I've had to use OEM 172 outer ARB bushes. The Powerflex williams/172 (same part i think) won't fit. The OEM ones are deep enough to accomodate a slightly longer bar, and I think the 172 bar is longer than the williams. Inner Powerflex bushes do fit tho.

172 one is indeed longer than Williams. With the williams item fitted on my 172 setup you can see its ever so slightly too short (not going into the bushes fully)

Williams20V-306BHP
yup. And more importantly, pay day is friday. :D:D

i need to get my finger out on our one then... can have you finishing before me..... although you have the ECU? i might be strugling lol

If you need any tips n bits drop me a line :D

Flan

Lunar Mk1 & Flamer
Holey Mother of god!

Mark when you said to me you regretted selling me the "wuk" i had no idea this is what you planned!

Your mental!

The Project is simply amazing mate, next time im your way i will deffo pop in!

ITB'd MK1

Only just seen this
Sweet :D !!!!!!

I knew there was a reason for paying attention to seemingly pointless details :D

E63, 172 track toy
Only just spotted this, new to renaults from VAG world me!

Just getting my teeth into my ph2 project but wanted to let you know that you arent the only one that has said..

I've mega over-complicated this car for a first time project. If I could do it again, I would do a fair few things differently to just get a working car before searching for mega power.
Its so easy to do, my last project i gave up on after getting it finished bar mapping and niggles. I hope you see this right through, it will be worth it.

Also, much respect for the fabrications, i bet those are the bits you are the most pleased with, i know when i built my last one my IC, rad and oil cooler mounting bar work of art was my favourite bit even though it was just a load of angle and bits welded together cleverly!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Isnt his downpipe going down and underneath like a Mk1 normally does unlike ours going through the subframe?

I looked back but cant work out which way hes putting it...

oh, i figured he was using the 172 one to aid clearance... 172 one wouldn't help over a mk1 item if it was going under?

ValverInBits
Sorry about the lack of pictures. Ill get on that ASAP

Basically the Anti-Roll-Bar Situation:
My new downpipe goes over the top of the subframe dead centrally. It gives a really nice route and clears the rubber gaitors on the O/S inboard CV and the SteeringRack pinch. Clearance between hot downpipes and rubber gaitors is always a good thing!

As the Downpipe comes over the back of the subframe it swoops down imediately, following the line of the floorpan. The williams ARB has a long 'kink' in it that runs directly through my nice new downpipe. On the standard car, this long kink avoids the exhaust well.....I reckon that's why it's there.

The solution (and Danny, I can't thank you enough for the thought) is to use a 172 ARB. It has a short kink, offset to the N/S. This kink sits to the N/S of the Downpipe and the O/S of the passenger footwell. I'm not sure whether you could run it on an OEM williams....probably not.

Current work:
ThinkAutomotive order in:
MASSIVE oil cooler and lines
Thermostatic take off plate
Turbo: water send, Oil send lines

Manual cable clutch lever:
Standard 20v boxes run hydro clutch actuation.....valvers are cable clutch.
Went to the dealer today....they told me they stopped selling this part in 2008?? Might call Flan on this one. May look into a hyraulic clutch, but only if it's gonna be cheap and easy.

Looking at gear linkage....seats out.....carpet up etc

Holey Mother of god!

Mark when you said to me you regretted selling me the "wuk" i had no idea this is what you planned!

Your mental!

The Project is simply amazing mate, next time im your way i will deffo pop in!

Saw the car at FCS mate. Looks really well! I only sold that car because I wanted a white one! lol. This car isn't in good nick atm. Needs tlc once i've got it moving. The main reason for getting this shell was '92 Cat exempt and it was white!
Be good to see you mate. Couldnt find you at FCS. hope your well.

i need to get my finger out on our one then... can have you finishing before me..... although you have the ECU? i might be strugling lol

If you need any tips n bits drop me a line :D

Flan

Your gonna win dude. I reckon this'll need sill attention before MOT. That's gonna be the sting in the tail sadly. oh well. I'm f*cking determined.:evil:

oh, i figured he was using the 172 one to aid clearance... 172 one wouldn't help over a mk1 item if it was going under?

It's just for clearance. My DP goes over the subframe which the 172 ARB avoids neatly. The 172 bar is near enough the same diameter, but I'm still going to consider stiffening the rear roll stiffness when I can get an idea of what the balance is like. Too stiff on the front ARB and i'll just understeer.

ValverInBits
What makes you say the 172 DP wouldn't fit a standard williams? too long?

You don't mean a 172 DP, you mean a 172 ARB surely??
I don't think you could run the ARB with a standard valver/williams downpipe. The 172 ARB does not kink to allow for the valver/willy exhuast. Having said that, it's been so long since i've seen one, I can't remember how low the standard exhaust hangs....

My 172 ARB with custom DP

P1020339.jpg

P1020336.jpg

This is a comparison of the powerflex vs 172 OEM bushes. I found that the 172 bushes were deeper inside meaning i was just able to squeeze in the extra length of the 172 ARB.

P1020313.jpg

I've Finished the gear linkage, but i've literally not got time to write it up right now!! but i'm pleased with it.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I did mean 172 ARB :eek:

I'm running a manifold over the subframe like you are, looks like this will give extra clearance!