ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tuning an ’02 1.2 Dynamique

Hi all,

Its a pleasure to join this forum, Ive been reading for a while and have found it fascinating. Anyway, for my inaugural post I thought Id approach a subject that I am sure many younger Clio drivers (who cant afford insurance on the 172/182) would like more information on.

Im 25 but Ive just bought a 1.2 Dynamique for myself and the wife to learn in (Ive been riding bikes before now). Its a fantastic car with a really extensive set of features for such a small ride.

The engine is fairly sporty (for its size (in a car at least!!)) but I think that it could be a little improved with some TLC and maybe some small mods.

Id like to know your recommendations for some small mods such as air filter, chip etc in order to increase power a little. Preferably modifications that would not affect insurance too badly and also not make much difference to the resale value.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

PS. Does anyone know how to activate automatic door locking at 5mph? Apparently all the 02 on cars have it but it isnt activated in all of them. Mine is fine but a mate who has the exact same car hasnt got it working. :)

Best mods are a load of miles an airfilter of some sort and a fll manifold back exhaust system.
As for the door locking stick the key in and turn to position 2 them press the door locking button for a few second I think and youll hear a beap indicating its changed from working to not working.

ST

Get a decent panel filter and a cat back stainless exhaust mate, to be honest there isnt alot that can be done to the 1.2 16v engine to make it produce much more power without spending silly amounts.

And the door locking thing, all you need to is hold in the lock button until it beeps twice IIRC.

Cheers, Al.

Ive got a turbo from an old modified GSXR-1100, I wonder what would happen if I fitted it to the clio?! Probably a load of trouble....but you never know.

Can anyone recommend a specific air filter? K&N/PiperX etc? What kind of power boost are we talking? Id like to add another 15-20bhp if possible.

[Edited by MartinS on 20 March 2005 at 3:39pm]

Quote: Originally posted by MartinS on 20 March 2005
Ive got a turbo from an old modified GSXR-1100, I wonder what would happen if I fitted it to the clio?! Probably a load of trouble....but you never know.Can anyone recommend a specific air filter? K&N/PiperX etc? What kind of power boost are we talking? Id like to add another 15-20bhp if possible.

[Edited by MartinS on 20 March 2005 at 3:39pm]

Just adding a turbos not that easy you need loads of new parts ie manifold, exhaust intercooler (assuming your going to run any decient amount of boost) intake manifold as the stock ones plastic new ECU uprated injectors. Also the turbo likly to be quick big and wont even make any boost unless your near the redline which is useless.
You can buy a 172 suspension and brakes etc and all the bits you need to drop the engine into your ca for £1.5k + vat or j3ned does a drive in drive out conversion for £3k.

H22A7 Accord Type R

Hey mate, welcome! Like Alan says, get a decent panel filter - mine is a jetex, they were one of the first companies to do them for the engine. Get a decent cat back exhaust system (or spend more and get full manifold, decat, etc as edde said) and visit a superchip dealer. I am good friends with a lot of guys at a superchip authorised distributor and they say good things about the 1.2 16v chip -which has only recently been released. One thing not to do is to stick bigger wheels on it, it will only swallow up the gains from your above mods.

If you keep the standard 15s, when you come to change the tyres, get 195/50 profile all round. These are not only cheap as chips, but with them being slightly smaller diameter, they help acceleration, and motorway driving is absolutely spot on.............with my panel filter and exhaust, my clio made peak torque -on a rolling road - at 4000rpm........with the above tyre profile, 80mph in5th gear = 4000rpm..........so basically, you stick your foot down and off it goes.....no need to drop a gear. I would assume it would be even better with a superchip..........i shall let you know as i shall be looking into getting mine chipped once i get some £££ to do so!

If you want any good suspension kits, Apex do a very good -40mm Kit which is superb for improving the driving characteristics. They also do a -60mm kit which is also very good, but more focused on looks than the driver appeal of the 40mm one (Believe me, i have had both) :)

Rob. :)