ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

top mount looking a bit funny...

had the drivers side top mount replaced the other week, and literally havent even looked under the bonnet at it since then, looked last night with a few friends and one pointed to the newly changed mount and the rubber is about 1.5cm up from the body work, the other original one on the otherside sits flush to the metal. just wondering is it normal for it to have such a gap? will get some pics up if people want them.
going to garage tomrorow to get passenger side changed as i should have done them both at the same time really.
cheers guys.

PH2 172
ah ok, its just the one that wasn`t changed has literally no gap at all, but im getting it swapped this week. Any reason as to why there is a gap??

The gap is to allow the damper rod to rotate with the spring,platforms and shock body,so that it does not wear the internals,should be 5/6mm to allow for the change of angle on full lock & suspension compression.
I suspect someone did not appreciate this,and ground a bit off the top caps to achieve zero clearance
Interestingly,I looked at a 2014 Nissan Note (a Renault in essence) a couple of days ago,and the top caps are solid to the turret,but maybe the struts are totally verticle on that vehicle,and attached to the wishbone,not the hub carrier.

Last edited:
The gap is to allow the damper rod to rotate with the spring,platforms and shock body,so that it does not wear the internals,should be 5/6mm to allow for the change of angle on full lock & suspension compression.
I suspect someone did not appreciate this,and ground a bit off the top caps to achieve zero clearance
Interestingly,I looked at a 2014 Nissan Note (a Renault in essence) a couple of days ago,and the top caps are solid to the turret,but maybe the struts are totally verticle on that vehicle,and attached to the wishbone,not the hub carrier.
I'm pretty sure mine were fitted with an impact driver !!!