ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Toastfrenzy's Tin Top, some say...........

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not been on here for a loooong while, thought I'd have a bit of a Clio etc hiatus.

But while I've been hiding I've been talking .....to Dan.

He came up trumps with some needed parts for my engine.

Namely;
WP_20150412_16_48_02_Pro_zpslujrsksd.jpg

and an engine block, all for which I am extremely grateful!

So now I have to call Fred, find out what work he has on, time scales etc to get the engine sorted in the next few weeks if possible.
Good news on getting some bits from dan but seriously you're going to leave it with Fred! Not spoke to tony lately then! See you in 2017!
Russ

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Hi Pete, it's good to see you back on the road to getting the Clio back on track (if that makes sense). I hope all the cr4p is now out the way and you can get on and enjoy some racing once the engine is sorted.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Not been on here for a loooong while, thought I'd have a bit of a Clio etc hiatus.

But while I've been hiding I've been talking .....to Dan.

He came up trumps with some needed parts for my engine.

Namely;
WP_20150412_16_48_02_Pro_zpslujrsksd.jpg

and an engine block, all for which I am extremely grateful!

So now I have to call Fred, find out what work he has on, time scales etc to get the engine sorted in the next few weeks if possible.
Fair f**king play pete! That's very admirable of him to do.

Good to see you back Pete.

Thanks Cub - - I would say good to be back but now getting a CBA feeling trying to get this engine sorted.

Welcome back Pete :smile: so you havent even started the rebuild yet?
That would be a definite no!
Good news on getting some bits from dan but seriously you're going to leave it with Fred! Not spoke to tony lately then! See you in 2017!
Russ

Nope, going to call Fred to arrange picking the Cup back up later next week or next weekend. Yes, Dan saw me right after all said and done, can't fault that.

Engine Dynamics might be a good choice if Freds a no go
Got a whole raft of things to decide, but first I need to get a 2nd engine sourced and get this one out and somewhere for a strip and look see ( may have found someone via @NorthloopCup )

I'm selling Porkies engine for him at the moment :smile: proper spec and fastidiously built!
Txt, got details and really wish I could! If I knew I could sell the internals off my current engine ( but don't really know their condition) and the new bits for up to 2K I would.

Thanks for the help etc thus far.

Hi Pete, it's good to see you back on the road to getting the Clio back on track (if that makes sense). I hope all the cr4p is now out the way and you can get on and enjoy some racing once the engine is sorted.
Hears hoping! Thanks for the info via PM too.
Fair f**king play pete! That's very admirable of him to do.
Yes, just hope the effort's not going to be wasted!
Someone mention my name?

Blimey, you still here!

So the wheels are turning, albeit slowly, just bought a std engine (arriving on Monday 20th Apr) and will run with that as is (std cams & std inlet) for now. Spoke with Fred and will be picking the car up next weekend 25th\26th Apr.
Plan is for last week April first\2nd week May;
Swap the engines over -swap the water pump -dephaser (possibly) as both new on my HC engine - oil pump and sumps too(got to come off for a look see anyway).

Change belts.

Then off some where for mapping...and drop off my HC engine for it's internal examination.

Hopefully by the end of May it'll be ready - I'll try and plasticize the doors too, as with std power we'll need to be as light as possible.

Cup In bits
I missed what happened here but it doesn't take much to put two and two together from this page alone, admirable that parts were bought in replacement mind you.

I have FG doors for sale too Pete..., deal with them and the ITB's :tongueout:

Ok, A picture from a recent day at Bedford - first time on slicks....was a really good day - would I spend 1K for the day? Nope, but happy with the £185 that it actually cost me!

F3_zps4kmuf1ku.jpg

Clio #17 - well it's all ready!! Apart from being spread around the Midlands, doors are in a garden shed, shell is in a barn and the engine and gearbox in his mums garage - Fred sold up and didn't quite get mine finished in time.

No hassle\bother really as I'd more or less written this year off anyway through one thing and another.

How did you find driving that Pete, fun or hardwork?

It was easy!
Flat shifting, mental braking and lunatic hard acceleration with RWD to boot. The only things I didn't really get the hang off was the levels of grip available on slicks both in corners and braking (though was getting there) - the pro racers on the day where doing 1.18's and I was 1.23's, on the West circuit. Plant your foot upshift, brake downshift, turn in, cover throttle and feed in power (before apex - Ooooh) n upshift. I always thought the speed of things would be really quick (easy to mess up) but once you're in the zone it was all 2nd nature. Coming out of the corner before the pits in 5th upshifting to 6th and then from over 100 hard braking, after the brake board, before the left hander for instance!

The cut slicks that we all use are poor in comparison having now driven on both.

Don't get me wrong this was on track with 10 other cars where yes they encourage you to go as fast as you want - overtake within reason - but add 10 cars all going for the same point at the same time I might be preaching a different story - I used my mirrors only a few times (was also surprised at how much you can see from them too) - was concentrating 100% in front! I was also the fastest in my group so didn't have to worry too much about what was behind.

RWD is soooo much better than FWD, this is coming from someone who has never driven a RWD car on track this was my first time.

Nice evening for it,

WP_20160211_17_56_16_Pro_zpsz3ejprej.jpg

Since giving the Cup to Fred back in Nov 2014 found many a use for the trailer. this is four rubble bags full of plaster board - gutting the whole house as no Cup to take my time up.

But I'd still prefer to have my Cup back! One day Rodney, one day.

Oh, I'm not bitter in the slightest.

The time has come to pick up #17 - great - though it's far from complete, engine needs putting together (block, head etc) and putting back in it's rightful place.

All a bit of a disappointment really looking back on the length of time it's taken to get this far. Nevermind - the money\time not spent on track, #17 etc allowed us to totally gut the house and now not far off having it all complete. Bit of a long winded "weekend only" renovation but meant the whole cost was far far cheaper than getting a firm in and doing the renovation themselves, got a known trusted builder and labourer for £220 a day (Sat & Sun) along with me! job done I'll get some pic's up later as the transformation has gone really well.

Of course, anyone recommend someone to finish off #17 too?