ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

To all V6 Owners

KTM Xbow, Jag XF
Hi all, ive been lurking a fair bit but havent got round to posting so thought id finally put a post up. I've had a few cars in the past and after my best mate having a clio and moding that its been brought to my attention what great cars they are. After selling my TT last week im currently stuck with what to go with next as I want something special but fun that sounds great so a V6 seems a great solution. Ive been looking at phase 1 V6's but have a few questions in the back of my mind which im hoping some of you guys will be able to answer:
  1. What are the overall running costs and servicing costs like?
  2. What milage are the engines good for as ive seen a few in 50's but these seem high when compared with other examples for sale, what sort of mileage do they go upto and do you need to spend silly money to get there?
  3. What are they like to own? Are they problematic or are they generally quite good?
  4. How hard is it to obtain parts for the engine and do you have to drop it out to work on?
  5. Is there any buying guides or service guides about on here as ive searched about but yet to come across one.
  6. Whats the handling like and can it be improved by a few simple mods as I understand from reading about that they are pretty tail happy and take alot of getting used too...
Thanks in advance :)

Andy

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
I would say get across to v6clio.net there is a buyers guide and if your looking at a car it will most likely be on the register as some have an intresting history.

Are you planning on using it daily? what type of TT did you have?

KTM Xbow, Jag XF
Thanks for all your replies, I wasn't aware of a V6 forum so I'll go take a look there :) Car will be used as a daily but its of no concern to me at all... TT was a 225 at 280 bhp and had a few bits and pieces...not to everyones taste I know, Cheers :)

229408_224789927538277_100000218135737_1051197_8233103_n-1.jpg

224169_224789734204963_100000218135737_1051189_5239076_n.jpg

4642049910_c034bfc0c1_o.jpg

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
That’s a pretty nice TT mate!

I personally wouldn’t like to use my V6 everyday but that more comes down to me, there are owners that will disagree with me and they use it as a daily. Space is limited, turning circle can be interesting sometimes and MPG is 25/28 IMO

However for the type of car it’s awesome and I can’t say there are major problems same as a normal Clio I guess, they are known for coils, but road tax is reasonable for the type of car. I guess if something did go wrong it’s the not the normal car that every mechanic has worked on though, but definitely get across to V6Clio.net masses of info

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Those are some quality shots of your TT! Looking forward to the shots you take of the V6 when you get one :p

KTM Xbow, Jag XF
Thanks for all the kind comments chaps, ive had my fun with it now and put it up for sale over a week ago, 2 days later a chap from sweden flew over and paid cash on collection for it and didn't even haggle on the price! wasn't quite expecting it to sell that quickly so as a result Im not sure what to go with next. A phase 1 is within my budget and I would love but the more I read the more im tempted by a phase 2 and think to myself just get something else for a while and save a bit more as they do seem to handle better and be favored over the earlier ones. Wait and see, only time will tell!! Part of me just thinks go for it... clio v6 is a clio v6
:p Few more pics incase anyone wants to see more! :)
th_227312_224790090871594_100000218135737_1051205_1031032_n.jpg

th_jay.jpg

th_379991831.jpg

th_369592092.jpg

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
I would save your money & get a tidy Phase 2-
The Phase 1 V6 is a little underwhelming & will always be in the shadow of the PH2-

Ph1 owners will say different- however theres really no contest- PH2 wins hands down

Parts are expensive- Disks, tyres, etc-
Make sure cambelt has been changed properly - some PH1's will be due a second change soon-
Also Clutches, Gearboxes are fragile, also Dephasers going as well now- all cost a packet to repair-
Manifolds cracking are common-

Budget 8k for a decent PH1 & 12 for a PH2
S

Lionel Richie
don't worry about mileage, the L7X engine will do 300,000 miles without blinking (as long as the services are kept up, belts being the most expensive!)

ph2 v6s are for girls!! the raw ph1 is were its at!! :rasp:

to be honest, they are basically the same car. the ph2 is the finished article, but does cost 4k+ more for an equivalent condition example. you wouldnt be disapointed with either.

dont believe the negative comments you read about handling, yes you have to drive them with respect, but they are fine.

If you wanted to, you can fit a ph2 subframe and some kws and a ph1 will out manourvre a ph2.

to own they are like nothing else on the budget, total hoot to drive & properly get under your skin. many owners who sell, seem to return.

Clio
I hear ph1 clios are really bad on handling... you would be better off getting a ph2 or a 1**/200

You've never driven one have you. Its all rumour about not handling. On the road they can be pushed very hard without problem. Its only the second you step past the limit you are in trouble. I think the problem is that the point between traction and overstepping it is a fine line.

I had an E36 M3 and overstepped the line a few times and managed to get it back into line after a few brown pants moments. I stepped the V6 over the line and I wasn't talented enough to catch it. That is the difference.

P.S I'd also like to add that the PH2 was only created so they could appeal to 'girls' who were a little worried about owning a proper mans car.

Addz

ClioSport Club Member
  Trophy, TVR Tamora
Hi all, ive been lurking a fair bit but havent got round to posting so thought id finally put a post up. I've had a few cars in the past and after my best mate having a clio and moding that its been brought to my attention what great cars they are. After selling my TT last week im currently stuck with what to go with next as I want something special but fun that sounds great so a V6 seems a great solution. Ive been looking at phase 1 V6's but have a few questions in the back of my mind which im hoping some of you guys will be able to answer:
  1. What are the overall running costs and servicing costs like?
  2. What milage are the engines good for as ive seen a few in 50's but these seem high when compared with other examples for sale, what sort of mileage do they go upto and do you need to spend silly money to get there?
  3. What are they like to own? Are they problematic or are they generally quite good?
  4. How hard is it to obtain parts for the engine and do you have to drop it out to work on?
  5. Is there any buying guides or service guides about on here as ive searched about but yet to come across one.
  6. Whats the handling like and can it be improved by a few simple mods as I understand from reading about that they are pretty tail happy and take alot of getting used too...
Thanks in advance :)

Andy

I had a ph2 a few years ago, the big service with the cambelt kit and that was pretty expensive, about £1500 from memory but i wouldnt quote me on that, rear tyres were alot as brakes (rear pilot sports near on £500, front discs £500+) but i think you can buy the discs alot cheaper now, they were Renault only at the time.

Don't really think milage is a issue on the engines, nothing really went wrong on mine over two years, one coilpack went down and i had to take the whole exhaust off due to a rattly cat which was a pain in the arse to figure out but changed to a stainless exhaust and de-catted the pipe which fixed it.

I loved owning it, it was my dream car since i first saw a mk1 so splashed out whilst i could afford too. I loved how much attention it got everywhere, i drove it all year round in rain, snow all sorts and it was fine (apart from ripping the undertray off and smashing the bumper in a massive puddle)

V6clio.net is a brilliant site for guides, loads for taking bits off and all sorts which really helped me!

The handling was no where near as bad as people make out, in the dry there was so much grip its nearly impossible to get the back end out, the wet is a bit more interesting as there's no traction control but so longs as your not silly its pretty good, i span mine once on a roundabout but i was really trying to see how far you could push it!

Hope that helps a bit, i'd love another one and quite often find myself looking on PH

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
For my 10p worth....

They are great cars to be in. As others, the attention it gets is very noticable. It's a Marmite car too. A lot of people simply not understanding the reason why that Clio has no rear seats - or why that Clio has a 'silly' bodykit on it!

One-off parts are eye-wateringly expensive - like arch-liners and undertrays. Check that those are intact and not cracked/hanging off. eBay sometimes chucks up the occasional item - but those are rare and snapped up as quickly as an offer of sexual debauchery with Kate Beckinsale. The front bumper/valance WILL get stone chipped to death and the lower edge is really quite low. Find a good bodyshop and you'll be fine though.

Coil-packs seem to be a random failure - I must have changed about 5 on Jain's V6 during the time she had it. Iirc, they were about £25 a-pop - which when you have 6 to consider, bumps the price up somewhat. Still, they tend to only go singularly - so have one in the boot at all times, and you'll be fine. An absolute piece-of-piss to swap out too - literally five minutes of a job as each coil pack is accessible from the top with the engine cover off. You'll know when one has gone as power will drop significantly and the engine will sound like a poor-man's Scooby. ;)

Driving one is a little surreal. If you're familiar with the Clio Mk2 cockpit at all, then you'll feel immediately at home. Initially, it's a little underwhelming, tbh - almost as if you get a sense of 'is this it?'. Fire it up and set off however, and it's a completely different car.

I've always found the steering on the Vee to be nigh-on perfect - certainly great for the job of changing direction in the car and free from any drivetrain issues that clearly the other FWD Clios have. Even in standard form (engine/intake/exhaust) - they sound lovely when opened up. A nice, smooth, progressive V6 noise that has a hint of bark to it. Easy to get it popping on the over-run too. It feels a lot heavier than say a 182 - simply because it is. But that's not really an issue with a Vee as it helps to make it feel a lot more planted and connected to the road. Open it up on a motorway or sweeping A-road and it's a great long-haul cruiser.

Make sure you have attained your Captain's License too. There are container ships that have a tighter turning circle than a Vee. ;) Other than that, they are epic cars - a nod back to the marque's history, but in a more modern form. And other than on a meet - it's highly unlikely you'll see another on the road.

Get one - you'll love it. :cool:

D.

Mark 1 Clio V6
Don't worry about the mk1's handling, as long as you drive within the limits of your talents you will be fine - just like any car.
Rear wheel drive mid-engined will always be tricky especially in the wet.

In the last couple of years I've heard of more phase 2 drivers spinning out and doing damage......just keep within your capabilities.

I'm on my second mk1 and wouldn't consider a mk2 as I prefer the Iceberg silver over any other colour on the vee (including liquid yellow) and the original will always be best.
I wouldn't ever have it as my daily driver though - tried that with my first and ended up having to get a second car. It's too much for me as a daily and is hugely impracticle, so I run a Meg 250, and only use the vee on dry summer days (only did 1500 miles over the last 15 months).

As great as the Megane is to drive and is probably a better car in every way to the vee, the vee is far and away my favourite of the two. Can't really explain why, but these things get under your skin and you will love owning one.

Just do it - life is too short to think about these things for too long!

Last edited:
  Clio V6
Hi, I posted this on V6clio.net before, hopefully it will be useful to you:

I've gone from a Phase 1 to Phase 2 and back again.

Firstly, if money was no object then I would have one of each as they both have their own unique feel. If I had to have one then it would be the Phase 2, but there isn't much in it.

Things I loved about the Phase 2 - The interior (much better), the fact it was newer, the xenons, slightly better handling, the spoiler, the 18s, the silver side pods and the black rear/front grills (so much better than the mesh from the Phase 1).

Things I didn't like about the Phase 2 - The cost, the price of the tyres plus it was a bit too refined in the cabin.

Things I love about the Phase 1 - The price, more aggresive looking, all the noises/clunks in the cabin (much cooler than the Phase 2). Plus, it's the original Clio V6 in the original colour!

Things I don't like about the Phase 1 - The interior, wheels are too small plus all the missing toys from the Phase 2 that I described above.

The main thing to note is that I got my Phase 1 for half the price that I sold my Phase 2 for (both with similar mileage). This makes the Phase 1 a total bargain as it is in no way half the car. The common complaints about power, handing etc. just don't cut it with me and shouldn't influence potential buyers unless they plan to go on track days. Honestly, there is so little difference when you're only pushing it 80-90%.

I guess the other question is does the Phase 1 get the same kind of attention as the Phase 2? The answer is a definite yes and if anything, it might get a bit more than my Illiad Phase 2 did. I'll leave you with these 2 examples:

1. I left it in the centre of Taunton recently whilst my missus nipped into a shop. I left the car on it's own for a few minutes but could see it from where I was standing. I couldn't believe the attention it got when no-one was in it. Photos being taken, people looking all around it plus one guy even drove past then came back so he could get out and take photos of it.

2. I was driving through town the other day and some guy drew level with me at some lights in a Porsche Carrera GT (£150-200k car). He put his window down and we had a good old chat about our cars. Amazing when you think my car cost about 20 times less than his!

I'm a big fan of both and would commend the Phase 1 to anyone