ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

timing chain replacement ?

172,scenic, trafic
ok i have a 2.0 dci trafic on a 07 plate. was thinking of getting rid as its done nearly 90,000 miles before the dreaded injector problem struck.
however having spoken to my local dealer they are under some sort of warranty should they need replacing.
so as i have had this van since new and i more or less live in it am wondering whether i need to have the chain done at some stage? they dont suffer from them as far as im aware like vauxhalls do some is it something i need to consider. if so any idea of cost? cheers

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Yes get the chain changed as soon as possible. My chain snapped at 92,000 in my Nissan Primastar which had the same engine as the Trafic. It's not in the service schedule and Renault and Nissan both say the chain doesn't need changing but believe me it does. If it snaps the engine is scrap. I've got a new Trafic now and I will get the chain done when it gets to 60,000. I've heard of them snapping before 70,000 after talking to several AA service van drivers that have had Trafic vans. The warranty on new Trafics is 100,000 or 3 years but Nissan primastar is 60,000. Same van and built on same production line.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
The injector problem is also a common fault. I had one blow out on mine. Quite often the injectors seize in the head which can mean the engine is scrap if they fail and can't be replaced. They go right through the head and you can't take the head off without removing the injectors. They're a great engine until they go wrong.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
You can change the chain with engine in. It's a bit of a tight squeeze but it can be done. It's definitely false economy not to change it because sooner or later it will snap.