ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing belt snapped!

Clio 182
Ok as the title says. Whats worse, its only done 50k and has a frsh and just ran out of warranty! Got a timing belt i just need you guys to tell me what are the timing marks if there are any, or what is involved in setting it up as its variable valve timing.

Thanks, Matt

R35 GTR
There are some special tools you need for locking camshafts and flywheel i think.

cost a fortune from renault, but you can get them for about £50 from other car part places.

Clio 182
Dunno yet about engine damage! Fingers crossed i will get away with it. Sods law, i was gonna sell it a few weeks ago, then the power steering pump failed so fixed it, big job, then after 5 miles of driving, the cam belt snapped! WTF. I think mine was built on friday afternoon lOL!

I read the compression ratio as 11. something to 1 so its not looking good! And turning the crank over you can hear it hitting the valves soo might be expensive!

Are you sure you need the special tools?

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
Trust me renault should pay the lot, even if they dont customer services should should last 5 years or 72k if they dont renault parts hasnt done the job. but i find it funny the cambelt went after the p/s pump. and it will need 16 valves

Clio 182
I think ill be going to renault for this. It takes the pi55, i wish i still had my zetec s! It poofed a bit of smoke out, and came to a stop via engine compression! Im hoping its not gone as far as a wrecked piston! :(

Its a great car but sooo fragile!

Nah not fragile, my mates Mondeo ST TDCi Build is shocking lol! Depends on if you have a monday morningcar or a friday afternoon one.

I think ill be going to renault for this. It takes the pi55, i wish i still had my zetec s! It poofed a bit of smoke out, and came to a stop via engine compression! Im hoping its not gone as far as a wrecked piston! :(

Its a great car but sooo fragile!

Da

Less
Trust me renault should pay the lot, even if they dont customer services should should last 5 years or 72k if they dont renault parts hasnt done the job. but i find it funny the cambelt went after the p/s pump. and it will need 16 valves

Agreed, who did the p/s pump?

Monaro VXR/Cupra TDi
Dunno yet about engine damage! Fingers crossed i will get away with it. Sods law, i was gonna sell it a few weeks ago, then the power steering pump failed so fixed it, big job, then after 5 miles of driving, the cam belt snapped! WTF. I think mine was built on friday afternoon lOL!

I read the compression ratio as 11. something to 1 so its not looking good! And turning the crank over you can hear it hitting the valves soo might be expensive!

Are you sure you need the special tools?

Happened to the K-Series in my Elise on the day of sale. Some chap came down from Leeds to view her, went 500 meters before returning home on the test drive.:mad: :mad: :(

Cost just under 1K to return everything to normal.:(

I suspect your valves will be damaged, and if at some RPM, so will the pistons.

:dapprove: :dapprove: :dapprove: taken on wednesday. . .
DSC01638.gif

porsche 944 - 80's ftw!
Ring german and swedish for the cam locking tools and cam belt kit (mention cliosport and you get a reduction).

And you can factor in around £500 - £700 for replacing bent valves/skimming head (depends how many valves are bent) and refiting the head.

Clio 182
the p/s pump has nothing to do with the cambelt. Renault have checked it all out and have said they will only foot 30% of the bill which will amount to roughly a few grand because ALL of the valves are bent and it basically needs a rebuild. The mechanic said, if they are neglected in the slightest bit, they are weak engines, but its never over heated and always been ran with the correct amount of oil, and never ragged when cold, and i think ive only hit the limiter twice EVER. And that was by accident.

Will be doing it myself with my uncle, so cheers for all the advice so far guys, some of its really helpful. Im a bit dissapointed in renault not footing all of the bill tbh. Apparently on its 36k service it was meant to have an auxillary belt, but it just had the tensioner adjusted, so renaults fault but they still say only 30%. Im gutted.

Cheers for the help so far guys and ill keep you posted.

Lionel Richie
the aux belt wasn't changed at 36k!!!! thats renaults fault then, they should be paying 100%

if the aux belt fails it ALWAYS takes the cambelt with it

get on the phone to renualt uk ASAP

Astra van,Mk1 nova
not good mate:dapprove: , so when are the correct times to change the cam belt, i gather so far the first one should be at 36k when should the next one be, my cups millage has just hit 54k, when should i get it changed:)

Lionel Richie
no no no and NO!!!

AUX BELT is done on 36Kmiles the 3RD service (12k intervals)

CAMBELT is on the 6TH service at 72k miles (or 5years, whichever comes first)

Astra van,Mk1 nova
no no no and NO!!!

AUX BELT is done on 36Kmiles the 3RD service (12k intervals)

CAMBELT is on the 6TH service at 72k miles (or 5years, whichever comes first)

Ok calm down mate, im used to the whole vauxhall 8v thing, cam belt snaps put on a new one! as the cam locks proventing the valves from bending