ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Timing Belt Change? - Cornwall

Mk1 172 Exclusive
Hi all

I purchased a Clio 172 exclusive about 3 weeks ago which has covered 88k miles.. looking at all of the receipts I have I don't think it has had the belts changed at all.. would a visual inspection of the belt shed any light on whether it has been changed at all? having read lots of posts on this forum, does anyone know of any garages in Cornwall that are trustworthy please?

2004 182FF
http://www.penwithrenault.co.uk/

Took my 182 to them after I bought it for new rear discs and pads and a thorough checkover after only ever hearing good things, obviously knew their stuff. Admittedly I haven't used them for timing belt or anything, so as always, ask if they have the proper tools and check they say the right things.... but they are very trustworthy.

2004 182FF
Edit:

Just realised you said you wanted them checked, not changed. Whoops. I just called to ask about an exhaust fitting and enquired about the belts for you, they have all the proper tools and stuff and the price was right too.... so they should be absolutely fine for a check.

Mk1 172 Exclusive
Edit:

Just realised you said you wanted them checked, not changed. Whoops. I just called to ask about an exhaust fitting and enquired about the belts for you, they have all the proper tools and stuff and the price was right too.... so they should be absolutely fine for a check.
Excellent, many thanks... I expect it needs changing tbh.. I've read that I also need to change stuff around the aux belt aswell.. any idea how much i'm looking at in total? just so I dont get ripped off tbh

Mk1 172 Exclusive
Excellent, many thanks... I expect it needs changing tbh.. I've read that I also need to change stuff around the aux belt aswell.. any idea how much i'm looking at in total? just so I dont get ripped off tbh

Just rung them and they want £564 all in.. sound about right?

Mk1 172 Exclusive
Just rung Penwith Renault again and this time they are saying it's an engine out job?!? and am looking at over £800.. form what I've read on this forum that just aint correct?

ITB'd MK1
they're wrong, suggests they dont know the job. Don't know what Pure are like with renaults but they have a good reputation with peugeots

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Engine out to swap the belts you say? A bit more than just OTT but it does make the job easier I guess

Mk1 172 Exclusive
Engine out to swap the belts you say? A bit more than just OTT but it does make the job easier I guess

yep just quoted me £1480 + vat to do Cambelt, Aux Belts and Waterpump and Clutch... I only asked him to add on a quote for the clutch as he said he had to take the engine out for the cambelt!

Mk1 172 Exclusive
Right got a quote from Pure and although not using genuine parts which does not really concern me the quote is £536 for Cambelt, Aux and Water pump.. so I think I'll be spending a day walking around Padstow like a tourist very soon.. lol

Mk1 172 Exclusive
good choice tbh nick certainly knows his stuff

look at his development stuff when your down there

padstow is ace btw and nick has possibly the best ever view out of a garage

Seemed a really nice chap and turns out he's been at the college where I work this year to do some courses.. just hoping now that the belt stays in tack before I go on annual leave and can take the car there.

thanks for everyones advice..

Mk1 172 Exclusive
had the cambelt kit, aux kit and water pump down at PureMotorsport last week and was a trouble free experience :) the weather was gorgeous so spending 6 hrs in Pad'Stein' was a good but expensive day..