ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thought I'd share....

Renault Clio 172
Baptism of fire today! Handled like a bag of knackers first session, then rear break pad fell out in second!!

So, took ARB off and sorted suspension out. Handled lovely for the second session.

Then, flying down the back straight at about 120mph, breaks went! Turns out we had fitted a clip the wrong way! Won't do that again!

CLIO 182
Was a pleasure to meet you the other day mate! And the car looks well!!

Couldn't believe how great them fibreglass doors were!! So light and a what an excellent fit!!

Hope Snett went/goes well mate!!

Renault Clio 172
Hi Ant, got the mapping done by a local guy, who was crap! Going to RS Tuning in the new year, although I may change to TB's, but sure yet

Renault Clio 172
Snetterton report!

Qualified in 21st out of 40, which I was quite pleased with, as I was still getting used to the feel of the car, and it was slippy as hell!

Got a few battle scars in the first race, as I got rear ended by a Maxda! Once I got out of the mess of all the MR2's and other Japs, I got going and started to improve. Finished in 13th after the first race, with a best lap of about 2.27 from memory.

Second race started in 13th. Dreadful start, and lost about 4 places! Found it very difficult doing a race start on a hill! Anyway, got going and pulled it back to end in 10th. Dave's Clio (not sure if he is one the forum?) in front of me, but I couldn't keep up! A faster car and better driver!!

Race 3, started in tenth. I started with intentions of keeping my place, as I had no idea how I'd keep up with those in front, as they were all a lot quicker! I did gain one place though, which I was chuffed with, so ended up 9th overall. I think I was second in class, but I may be wrong. Lost track a bit, with all the excitement. Best lap was 2.24. 3 seconds off the guy in front of me!

Loads of help again from the other guys there, Tony, Dave, James and Ged. I'd have never got on without them, so thanks very much. A really helpful and friendly bunch of people.

So, plans for the winter, are to strip the car down and see what I've got! Throttle bodies are a high probability along with the ECU and mapping. Also going to strip the suspension down, to get to understand it a bit more. It was awful for the first test, so want to know what it all does and how to set it up. Had a kind offer of help for this, so will certainly be taking it up!

Cup In bits
Not sure how I missed this, car looks good and the progress better. Well done. Need to find some inspiration in this to pull the finger :confused:

clio cup
You done a great job Andrew, All 3 races finished in a decent position, you know what they say, "to finish first,, First you have to finish"
I was on a mission in race 2 Andrew and wasnt going to hold any prisoners, I'd dropped back to last place on the first lap after being pushed out wide by an MR2, took to the grass and could not re join till everyone had passed. 24 passes saw me finish in 9th place.
Glad you had a good weekend mate and hopefully have some more time to chat next time as we were training a new guy and had James's new build BMW there that took quite a bit of our attention,

Renault Clio 172
Hi Dave, sorry, couldn't remember your nickname! It's was really good having you in front of me, taught me loads! Hopefully have a few close races next season mate, and get out of the way of the MR2's!

CLIO 182
Hi Ant, got the mapping done by a local guy, who was crap! Going to RS Tuning in the new year, although I may change to TB's, but sure yet

May as well hold out on anymore mapping if you do go to ITB's then mate, Paul is really decent, top bloke. The reason why I asked is because he sometimes has to open up the ECU too if its been locked due to an RSTuner file etc and he does a good job of it it but didn't sound like you had the best experience!

Renault Clio 172
This may be of no interest at all, to anyone, but a mate of mine set a time lapse video up the other day, to record what we did.

CLIO 182

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 66
  Renault Clio 172
I know it's not really project build related, but the dates for our Tricolore Cup racing have been published for next season, starting with a launch day on 5th March at Silverstone.

If you fancy seeing the racers, and throwing your car around with us, then have a look here - http://www.trackattackraceclub.com/downloads/entryforms/2015-preseason-launch-day.pdf

A really helpful and friendly bunch. If you don't fancy driving, then spectators are welcome, and I believe it's free too. Come along and see what it's all about. It's not as frightening, or expensive as you might think....

Renault Clio 172
Back to work on this tomorrow. Engine out and off to RS Tunning, for a freshen up. A good clean of the engine bay and cut it any of the bits we don't need.

Then, stripping the suspension, to clean it up, and see what I've got! The front is as low as the springs will allow, so need to find out all the sizes, etc, to get some helper springs ordered. I think the car can go at least 30mm lower!

Some help off @Ant_Smiggy with the set up too. Be good for him to work on a 'proper' car, instead of the Ginetta things!

CLIO 182
Back to work on this tomorrow. Engine out and off to RS Tunning, for a freshen up. A good clean of the engine bay and cut it any of the bits we don't need.

Then, stripping the suspension, to clean it up, and see what I've got! The front is as low as the springs will allow, so need to find out all the sizes, etc, to get some helper springs ordered. I think the car can go at least 30mm lower!

Some help off @Ant_Smiggy with the set up too. Be good for him to work on a 'proper' car, instead of the Ginetta things!
Haha couldn't agree more with you mate! Cant wait to get stuck in! Any idea what time you'll be there in the morning? be nice to start early, its a shame I need to dash off for my evenings lectures, Id miss them if i could but there's no room for error missing the work. Especially at Masters level 😢

CLIO 182
8:30 blimey that's a lie in for me that haha! Ill have to set off a bit earlier anyway to beat the crappy morning rush out of Huddersfield so ill be there around 8 more than likely chief! otherwise id be late! It was like that for my commute to Optimum just down the road in Horbury.

Butties sound divine!! Its gonna be a chilly morning!

Renault Clio 172
Another good days work. Thanks @Ant_Smiggy for your help, I'll be calling on you again:)

Anyway, engines out and ready to take to RS Tuning tomorrow, for a freshen up. We also stripped the suspension on all wheels, to give it a good clean and check. Ended up making some new nylon bushes for the back, as I think the rubber ones that were on, where the only rubber on the car!

I did another time laps video of the progress, which shows the work. I was quite impressed to get the engine out for the first time in less than 3 hours!

More than anything, it shows I need to lose weight! And that I've learnt how to strip and reassemble suspension and breaks:)

Renault Clio 172
Just got these replacement springs!

11B2E5BF-55DF-46C4-B11A-4CA3C48146F3_zps8lohfl27.gif

Bought these from www.motorsport-tools.com and recieved shocking service! Wouldn't recommend them to anyone. welched out of sending the free gift they promised, as there 'system' was down! Hate dealing with companies who don't care!!!!