ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking of getting a V6

ph1 titanium 172
Hi guys,

I'm very tempted at the moment to get a V6 255. Do we have a buyers guide on here along with any idea of servicing schedules and parts costs ? e.g. new tyres, brakes etc....

I've done a search through the guides section, but cant find anything specific to the V6 ?

Please help.

Si.

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Just done exactly what your thinking of, went from a 197 cup to LY255 V6. Mine is averaging around 25MPG, if you have the 5 year cambelt service done at a dealers your looking at best part of £1000, tyres- if you stick to pilot sports- which after a run to scarborough are brilliant cost you ~£170 and ~£200 for the rears. For the remainder of my insurance policy it was an extra £191 over my cup. I absolutly adored my cup but the vee is in a different league- just make sure you are comfortable with the running costs.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Just done exactly what your thinking of, went from a 197 cup to LY255 V6. Mine is averaging around 25MPG, if you have the 5 year cambelt service done at a dealers your looking at best part of £1000, tyres- if you stick to pilot sports- which after a run to scarborough are brilliant cost you ~£170 and ~£200 for the rears. For the remainder of my insurance policy it was an extra £191 over my cup. I absolutly adored my cup but the vee is in a different league- just make sure you are comfortable with the running costs.

That seems pretty spot on tbh!

ibiza cupra
just get one. even if you dont keep it, at least you can say you have had one, thats what i would do if i could afford it.

Why is that Jay?

Numerous of things really... Think it's because I'm getting older (25) lol and want more comfort?

Just my opinion..
Ride to bumpy and hard (on day to day use), 197 is a firm ride and I feel the 197 can carry more speed through corners.

Noise, it is an awesome when revved but when you're after a steading drive along with the hard ride in the past I have got out the car with an headache.

Parking is a bit of a pain, and I never felt comfortable leaving it anywhere!

I think they kinda look a bit old now too. Still a modern classic though.

Lack of space can be a pain if you want to do weekends away, we've managed in the past but not really ideal.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. I know some of you may disagree but hey ho. If I had a few million in the bank I'd have one sitting in the garage for the odd blast now and again, but do think there are more capable cars out there, but depends what you want.

If anyone has there heart set on a V6 I'd say do it, but think about what you want from a car first..

LY V6 & Fiesta ST
Numerous of things really... Think it's because I'm getting older (25) lol and want more comfort?

Just my opinion..
Ride to bumpy and hard (on day to day use), 197 is a firm ride and I feel the 197 can carry more speed through corners.

Noise, it is an awesome when revved but when you're after a steading drive along with the hard ride in the past I have got out the car with an headache.

Parking is a bit of a pain, and I never felt comfortable leaving it anywhere!

I think they kinda look a bit old now too. Still a modern classic though.

Lack of space can be a pain if you want to do weekends away, we've managed in the past but not really ideal.

These are just a few things off the top of my head. I know some of you may disagree but hey ho. If I had a few million in the bank I'd have one sitting in the garage for the odd blast now and again, but do think there are more capable cars out there, but depends what you want.

If anyone has there heart set on a V6 I'd say do it, but think about what you want from a car first..
Fair tbh, but i found that the ride is no worse then my 197 cup, it is a lot harder to carry the same sort of speed in corners as 197 but you have to drive it differently. The noise is awesome and imo found it actually quieter at motorway speeds then my cup.
Parking and leaving it anywhere i totally agree with you, imo think they still look good and certainly are still a head turner. Was in a convoy with a few other RS - AG200, LY R26 to name a few and the vee was getting all the attention from a packed scarborough sea front.
I don't want this to seem like i am saying you are wrong- just trying to give a different perspective to a prospective new vee owner.

Like I said just my opinion on a few things on ownership and not everyone will agree with me. But everyone wants different things from a car which is fair enough, and yes you have to adapt your driving from a f/w drive Clio to a V6 as they drive different.

And I wouldn't stop someone getting one if they had the chance. But I'd just say think it through first

None
I would have one in an instant if i could afford it, completely impractical but you only live once :)

Discounted 1*2 parts
awsome looking cars but fooking expensive to run. as said above you wont see much change from £1000 on the cambelt change. Tyres are going to be up to £250 a corner depending on what you have. Discs and pads are expensive (approx £250 front and £300 rear for pads from dealers)

i think if it was my money i'd rather have a megane 225/230. they are quicker, more practical and imo look better :)

again just my opinion

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Renault Sport Clio V6 255 2002-2005 5.6

Renault Sport Megane 2006-Now 6.3

Not sure where you got your stats from!?

Clio V6
It is that - loved yours when I saw it in the flesh - they just look stunning and definate head turners!

Thanks, I have to admit that I'm totally bitten by the V6 bug :) Can't imagine life without one now although that opinion may change if anything goes wrong!

Black R26, Iceburg 172
I'm in the same boat i just cant get the thought of a V6 out of my head. Now also considering a VX220 turbo which isn't helping me decide. I think until i've actually test driven them both or been in them i wont know if i want either of them. Might hate them both when it comes to driving them lol. Doubt it though!!

Discounted 1*2 parts
Renault Sport Clio V6 255 2002-2005 5.6

Renault Sport Megane 2006-Now 6.3

Not sure where you got your stats from!?

my mistake i thought all v6's were 6.2 to 60. never realised the 255 was that much quicker!!

also thought all the 225's were 5.9 but again now i realise its just the r26r

:approve:

Discounted 1*2 parts
I'm in the same boat i just cant get the thought of a V6 out of my head. Now also considering a VX220 turbo which isn't helping me decide. I think until i've actually test driven them both or been in them i wont know if i want either of them. Might hate them both when it comes to driving them lol. Doubt it though!!

i'd love a vx220 was looking at one before i bought the 182 but i don't have 7k (for a 2.2) so had to comprise with the 182. good comprimise though :)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
awsome looking cars but fooking expensive to run. as said above you wont see much change from £1000 on the cambelt change. Tyres are going to be up to £250 a corner depending on what you have. Discs and pads are expensive (approx £250 front and £300 rear for pads from dealers)

i think if it was my money i'd rather have a megane 225/230. they are quicker, more practical and imo look better :)

again just my opinion

IF the OP wants to PM me I have just sold a MK2- & its a money pit if you dont check every component-

heres a summary of bits that will need to be checked-

Front end paint- ~ £400 More if its the private ID
Brake Disks front- £500 ( Without Pads) ~ £600 all in
Rear Disks £375 ( Without Pads) ~ £450 all in
Tyres ~ £175 a corner
Air con ~ £30 Regass - Although if theres a leak could be
~ £250 repair @ Regass
Steering wheel ~£150 if its knackered
Cambelt ~ £1000- No pocket change out of this- take the car to SG motorsport
Damaged Panels- ~ £800 Wings less for bumpers
Missing grates ~ £130 each
Bolts- ~ £40 Each on the engine cover
Bolts- ~ £80 Each on the underbonnet Tray
Service @ renault ~ £330
Alloy refurb ( often corrode) ~ £80 a corner
Engine tray £800

-Petrol 20-25 MPG You can spunk a tenner on a 15 mile round trip-

If you dont check the car you will buy a 12k car then spend 3k getting it right...

What it should look like when sold-
http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/3623/recaro006.jpg
S

Last edited:
  Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
Your best bet is to go on to v6clio.net. Every part of ownership is discussed in there. I've had a recent string of bad luck with mine but still haven't thought of selling it. Ive drove hot Meganes and Type R's but as good as they are I'd end up yawning in one compared to a vee. Every blast in it is brilliant and you get out of it feeling like youve drove a car as opposed to using 2 brain cells to throw a fwd one round a few tight bends. A car doesn't need to be the quickest, gripiest or loudest to be a great driving car. There's more to it than that and a 3.0l V6 mid engined powered clio is just a different experiance to any 2.0 fwd. Thats just my opinion.

ph1 titanium 172
Guys, thanks so much for all the advice given to my original post. Good to see both sides of the fence. I love the V6 so much, and would love to own one, but am fearful of stretching myself too far financially. Think it would be best to be happy with my ph1 for now, and keep my eye out in the future.

If anyone lives in/around Worcester, and owns a Vee, any chance you could take me out for a spin ? Would love to experience one, even if that's as far as my Vee experience will ever go.