ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thinking about Trading My 172 Cup in for a 172/182 FF

172 cup
I just swapped the other way and prefer my cup 172. But to be honest I wouldn't have swapped if it wasn't that my first car was a bit buggered. Why do you want to swap?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
I'd do it, but I prefer the more plush interior of the FF 182. 172 cups smell funny too, all of them. They all smell of wet dog

RB Clio 182
The 172 cup sounds like it needs the dog kennel carpet out of the 182's boot to go with the smell, according to jeremy clarkson lol.

I've always found the 172 Cup interior more supportive/comfy than the FF interior. Personally never seen the attraction with Xenons either, given that they go wrong it's another costly expense to repair when they don't make that much of difference in brightness.

Only thing that's good on the 182 is cruise control.

Everything else just looks prettier, does that interest me? No.

So I'd stay with the Cup.

P.S. I've got a mint 182 interior with doorcards if some people in here are interested.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Have to agree with you there nick... My cup interior is far more supportive than my mates FF interior.. Also feels more comfortable on long runs!

Have to agree with you there nick... My cup interior is far more supportive than my mates FF interior.. Also feels more comfortable on long runs!

Indeed, did a 350 mile drive to Scarborough in my old standard Cup. No stopping, got out feeling pretty good. Driven to Donnington in my 182 (120miles) in one go, got out with a numb arse and feeling pretty stiff.

The cup seats are more couch like, similar to the Williams seats. Now they are comfy seats!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I did the ring and back in porkies cup a few years ago when it had standard seats. Wasn't too bad but the lack of Aircon was horrible!

GW Stage 2 R26
Indeed, did a 350 mile drive to Scarborough in my old standard Cup. No stopping, got out feeling pretty good. Driven to Donnington in my 182 (120miles) in one go, got out with a numb arse and feeling pretty stiff.

The cup seats are more couch like, similar to the Williams seats. Now they are comfy seats!

they are the same seats aren't they?? Just cloth versions? Also I found the lack of abs genuinely dangerous in my cup.. I've had other cars without abs but the cup seemed to lock up way to easy in the wet.. Nearly killed me a few times..

they are the same seats aren't they?? Just cloth versions? Also I found the lack of abs genuinely dangerous in my cup.. I've had other cars without abs but the cup seemed to lock up way to easy in the wet.. Nearly killed me a few times..

You'd think so, but they can't be. With the cup seats you get no airbags so thus one difference.

Dangerous without ABS. Of all the non ABS cars I've owned, the Cup was and still is the most versatile on the brakes. Guessing its down to poor tyre choice, not driving to the conditions, driver.

RB 182 FF
FF 182 = awesome car, it does everything you need and comfortable! Just done a 3700 mile euro trip in mine and was a pleasure :D

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
This is an age old argument. People who own either type will say they are the better car, most of the time anyway.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I've owned 2 cups and a cupped 182. Prefer the cups, go better too imo ;)

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E

Its not something il be buying... The 182 is staying as is tbh.. Eibachs will come as I have a broken spring other than that it wont be changing I dont think..

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If you're going to swap at least do it properly.

/recaro sportsters

Weve put trendlines into two of our current 172s I think they really suit the car, and like Knuckles said, you are just paying a deposit and then renting them for free essentially, as you will always get your money back if you look after them.

Renault Clio 172 cup
I am only tempted because I do a lot of motorway miles and was thinking about getting the FF with possibly a custom 6 speed box for motorway cruising. I love my cup especially since I had the coilovers done the only thing I need to top off the handling is some decent tyres. I think the fact that the brakes lock up meow and again keeps you on your toes and helps you enjoy the drive everytime you get in it but the possible money gains through mpg are very tempting along with the cruise control and aircon.