ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

the wobbling effect

Clio 172 ph2 red
hi guys,

mij clio has an problem (not the driver this time). I've a clio 172 ph2. I lowered it with coilovers. At first i lowered it at the lowest possible point..... a bit of shaving here and there not what i wasn't used to with my first clio.

After i let it align i noticed something :( when i took a left turn it felt like my right front wheel was wobbling over the road. Like it realy didn't wat to go there. Brought it to a renault mechanic friend of mine and he said the axle(? my mechanical english isn't the best) stood in a strong angle... so he thougt it was the trouble maker...

replaced it with a brand new one.. looked liked the problem was gone... let it align again... and gues what..

next possibility the wheel bearing... took it apart so he could press a new one in it.. mounted everything and and took a testdrive... the probleem seemed worser and almost not drivable.... managed to get to my friend and we looked... there was rubber on the rings to adjust the coilover so we thought is was to low and camber was the problem.... I put it 2-3 cm higher and made a new appointment for alignment

after the ride home from a new alignment i already noticed... so back to my friend ... the rubber from the axle was torn and all the oil was spread around it.. Replaced it with the old one cause we thought it had been the rubbing against the wheel at first..

and after the latest allignment it is still not gone :(

The problems i now have:
wobbling effect when I take a roundabout (here you have to steer left )
When I accelerate i am going to the right side
braking keeps it steady for so far i tested
when I let it role out it goes right slowly
also tried my winterwheels same proble

Hope someone can help me because the clio tuning (and problemsolving i hope) scene is bigger here.

p.s. are there special products for lowered cars like special supporting brackets or something ? or will the 182 type be better for it something ? als because the front wheels aren't centered anymore and mybe i could solve that

greeting stefan

My spellingscheck gave everything a red stripe so i hope its readable.

Renault Clio RS Ph1
Hello, fellow Dutch person.

It sounds like the wobble is caused by a wrong KPI, camber or alignment setting. (King Pin inclination, of fuseelangs- of fuseedwarshelling zoals wij dat noemen).
King Pin inclination (and camber/caster in a lesser degree) makes sure that your car and your wheels always return and stay in the straight-ahead position. This is why your car automatically centers the steering after cornering.
If the KPI is not set correctly, the wheels cannot find their straight-ahead position and start to wobble like the wheels on a shopping cart.
It means that the coilovers were not fitted correctly, that your car has been damaged or some bloke tried to change the KPI, which is usually fixed in the construction of the car.

Nu even in het Nederlands (dat engelse was zodat de mensen van het forum niet gaan zeuren).
Waarschijnlijk is de helling van de veerpoot (je coilovers) niet goed. De fuseelangshelling zorgt ervoor dat je auto na een bocht automatisch weer rechtuit stuurt. Als de fuseedwarshelling niet goed is, dan kunnen de wielen de rechtuit positie dus niet vinden, en dan krijg je hetzelfde effect als bij een winkelwagentje, dat ken je vast wel. Wat dit dus kan zijn is dat je coilovers niet goed gemonteerd zijn, je auto heeft schade gehad of iemand heeft aan je auto zitten prutsen om de een of andere reden.
Normaal gesproken is de fuseelangshelling bepaald in de constructie van de auto, tenzij je coilovers iets bieden om dat te veranderen of aan je auto geprutst is.

I've added a picture that hopefully helps explain KPI a bit better:
http://waystoworld.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/kingpin.gif

Cheers!