ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The tow car

Cup In bits
Where are you going with it Saturday?
keep me posted as to what you may get from a full tank please, there is a decent two tone red and grey one near me at a nice price I spotted today, 3.0 V6.
if the realistic fuel return with car/trailer isn't so bad I may just go and snap it up :)

Kelv, I got 220 miles (some drifting and 4x4ing At Knockhill) to a full tank of 74 litres £100, that was sitting at a steady 70mph when possible. FYI going southbound from Aberdeen to Fife is a gradual Incline 80% of the way so it drinks the fuel, better on the way back though.

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Cheers for the update on yor fuel consumption Morgan.
I assume it towed more or less effortlessly, even with a boot full aswell?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Kelv, I got 220 miles (some drifting and 4x4ing At Knockhill) to a full tank of 74 litres £100, that was sitting at a steady 70mph when possible. FYI going southbound from Aberdeen to Fife is a gradual Incline 80% of the way so it drinks the fuel, better on the way back though.

220/74*4.54 = 13.5 mpg

Ouch

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
Its got to be better than my 4.7 V8 Jeep at the moment tho Chip.

im a bit reluctant to spend a fortune as its literally only going to be a tow car, and occasionally taking the dogs out during winter.
​the rest of the time it will probably sit there with the trailer.

Cup In bits
Cheers for the update on yor fuel consumption Morgan.
I assume it towed more or less effortlessly, even with a boot full aswell?

Yeah the balance was spot on when upto speed, you would barely notice it was connected, hills you notice obviously but a lot less than the transit 2.4, Renault 2.4 and defender 2.4 that I have used before. That was sitting at 70mph, 60mph is the sweet spot on that thing for economy. I was running late so that was progressing when possible.

220/74*4.54 = 13.5 mpg

Ouch

It sounds sore but I spent £150 going to Carlisle and and back in a renault movano and I only had a trailer and car connected on the way back. Towings expensive, especially when you can't sit at 60mph. The Jeep needs an 02 sensor so I imagine that's having a big hand in it, hopefully replace that for the next TD but they ain't cheap.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Kelv, its worth considering a BMW engined TD4 freelander as well mate.
They have a girly image but are really capable tow cars (and really capable off roaders actually...)

Morgan, yeah 70mph and towing is never going to be cheap!

XC90, 330d, Trophy’s
I was looking at them, a 4x4 that's not to big for Kim, that I could use as a fall back tow vehicle if need be.
my worry is how close to its ability levels I'd be getting with the trailer when fully loaded.

the trailer is currently over at a friends having a rack fabricated for an extra 4 wheels, and its already a twin axle Brian James trailer anyhow, a little bit smaller than the one I had of off Dave Moss a few years back.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was looking at them, a 4x4 that's not to big for Kim, that I could use as a fall back tow vehicle if need be.
my worry is how close to its ability levels I'd be getting with the trailer when fully loaded.

Not very TBH mate!

2000kg towing capacity is way more than you would be loading upto and with a remap those 2.0D BMW engines are very capable.

If I get another tow car (at the moment I just borrow the old mans volvo) I think it will be a TD4 as at least its also useful in the winter if its snowy and not too bad as an occasional commuter as will do nearly 40mpg on a run.

Cup In bits
How much would that be though chip and they chew through clutches/flywheels iirc. They also aren't as big as a Japanese jeep inside.

Kelv if you do decide on one then try to get an earlier car as the tax brackets doubled to circa £500 after 2003

Edit: FYI the shogun sports have a 2800kg braked capacity which is a lot higher than most other 'jeeps' perfect combo for me as my trailer is 2600kg MAM

Last edited:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
How much would that though chip

You seem to be missing a verb mate?

and they chew through clutches/flywheels iirc.

You might have to do the clutch and flywheel once in the time you own it realistically if it only occasional use, they arent perfect but they arent terrible either.

They also aren't as big as a Japanese jeep inside.
No but for kim to do the school run they are well suited.

Cup In bits
I thought I would keep this up to date for my reference.

I have since replaced all 3 aux belts as air con belt was making noise and I also replaced an 02 sensor which has improved the fuel economy a bit, I'm now seeing about 18-19mpg on a tow at 70ish.

Its in for its MOT and due new tax at months end so hoping it sails through others than ARB bushes and upper A arm ball joint that I know of.

Cup In bits
Update.

Well this thing flew though its M.O.T a while back and it was taxed for 6 months. I decided to fully poly bush the ARB anyway and the links front and rear for piece of mind.

I put together a parts list for a full service (engine, box and diff) now that this is my only car over the winter. I found out today that I have an LSD in the rear too so that should be fun in the snow.

Parts ordered today

• Gearbox and engine oil filters and oil (10 litres of fancy f**king oil FFS in the box)
• Special Mitsubishi oil for the diff, thankfully only 3 litres.
• Timing belt and all roller tensioners, idler pulleys and a new oil tensioner for piece of mind.
• Water pump (belt driven) and thermostat including fluids.
• Rear cam seals

Air filter , plugs, coil packs were just done before I had it so that's a saving.

I also bought the timing tools for the engine as its a commonly used one (6G72) throughout the Mitsubishi range so will get the use from them. 3.5 twin turbo lump could be interesting in this thing and should slip in.

I should get all that done next week and then I'l order a new aerial (broken inside) and Mitsubishi central locking kit and a reverse camera for hooking up the trailer.

Tempted by another 1.5" lift too, not a massive job tbh as its only two springs on the rear and you crank up the torsion bars on the front. Bit wary of doing it and the handling going to pot, anyone have experience with jacked up Jeeps? Or better still the shogun sport?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Glad it's going well, harsh winter coming they reckon too.

Chip-mk1;9656948 If I get another tow car (at the moment I just borrow the old mans volvo) I think it will be a TD4 as at least its also useful in the winter if its snowy and not too bad as an occasional commuter as will do nearly 40mpg on a run.[/QUOTE said:
i lied, I bought a t4 van instead. Decided a van was more useful as good for fetching 8*4 sheets for all the building work we are doing etc.
tatty 2.5 turbo. Does 40mpg at 70 :)

Cup In bits
Glad it's going well, harsh winter coming they reckon too.

i lied, I bought a t4 van instead. Decided a van was more useful as good for fetching 8*4 sheets for all the building work we are doing etc.
tatty 2.5 turbo. Does 40mpg at 70 :)

Yeah I'm looking forward too it, there is word of it being worse than 2010 :D, that should hopefully mean I can board well into may again. The hills have been getting their first covering up here the last week.

A van is what I would have had, parking and having it as my only transport stops me doing it just now. I'm still looking to get an ex network rail transit with a rack of beds inside for the future.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I'm looking forward too it, there is word of it being worse than 2010 :D, that should hopefully mean I can board well into may again. The hills have been getting their first covering up here the last week.

A van is what I would have had, parking and having it as my only transport stops me doing it just now. I'm still looking to get an ex network rail transit with a rack of beds inside for the future.

Beds as in sleeping, or is it a term for some sort of cupboards or something?

Cup In bits
Looks so Mach better after the changes Morgan.

If I end up keeping my L200 Im thinking of some modular wheels and a set of these, along with a small lift.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISH...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item485c154ac8

Yeah that will look good, modulars are crazy cheap too. I got mine from 4x4 tyres.co.uk, some good packages on there.

Beds as in sleeping, or is it a term for some sort of cupboards or something?

Just a home built 3 tier bunk bed for me and any helpers I have for a race. Will do a bit of a camper van conversion inside, as I have said before the network rail vans have the leisure battery's, power sockets, lights, water which is ideal for a cheap conversion.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Just a home built 3 tier bunk bed for me and any helpers I have for a race. Will do a bit of a camper van conversion inside, as I have said before the network rail vans have the leisure battery's, power sockets, lights, water which is ideal for a cheap conversion.

Fair enough, Ive started doing a bit of a basic camper conversion in the back of mine but it would be a big advantage already having the water etc.
Electric is an utter peice of cake, 30 quid VSR sorts the charging and then just lob a battery and a bit of cable in the back, although if they have leisure battery its a bonus as they are better than the cheapy car battery Ive used.

Have they got a heater in them? Thats one of the biggest ballaches with retro fits, especially if you want a plumbed in diesel one, Ive just gone for a propane one instead but its less convenient to run in that you have to carry a calor bottle.

Cup In bits
Yeah don't know why I didn't mention that too as its one of the best parts, they have an eberspacher (sp) night heater, switch control panels for all electrics and just generally, side windows, and a tidy install with the furniture and seating. There is 3 different layouts afaik that NR specced when new which gives varying sizes of rear section (workshop) which has a formed bulkhead with storage chests etc with them too.

The good bit is they are 70% of the way to being a camper without the the premium a camper demands. You know they will have been serviced better than your average white van man would do too, its just a case of finding one where the crew looked after the interior a bit.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Does sound ideal then, probably got some additional OEM installed insulation too, rather than having to DIY that yourself too like Ive had to with mine!

Cup In bits
Does still need a roofrack full of lights ;)

Yeah would give it a go anywhere look anyway but I bet it would whistle like a biatch at speed which I don't want from previous experience with roof racks. It would need a snorkel too though lol.

I'm tempted to fit the face lift front end to modernise it a little.

Cup In bits
Does sound ideal then, probably got some additional OEM installed insulation too, rather than having to DIY that yourself too like Ive had to with mine!

I would hope so, laminated walls too. Little things like that is what ends up costing loads of money in a conversion.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I would hope so, laminated walls too. Little things like that is what ends up costing loads of money in a conversion.

Agreed, the best most people manage is what Ive done which is just a bit of house insulation, a ply lining kit and some carpet.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Get some pics up in your turbo thread when its done, love little builds like that.

Mines just a low roof T4 van so not enough space for a proper conversion, all Ive gone for is a bit of insulation, a heater and a bed, so not a lot to look at really.

There are some quite cool builds on the net, I liked this one from an old couple who seem to have done a pretty good job.

http://deepredmotorhome.com/

Cup In bits
Mines just a low roof T4 van so not enough space for a proper conversion, all Ive gone for is a bit of insulation, a heater and a bed, so not a lot to look at really.

There are some quite cool builds on the net, I liked this one from an old couple who seem to have done a pretty good job.

http://deepredmotorhome.com/

Yeah I won't be going to that extent either lol, nicer than some houses that.

A fitted seat, bunk bed and some storage will do me. Are you thinking on going racing that your doing a conversion?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yeah I won't be going to that extent either lol, nicer than some houses that.

A fitted seat, bunk bed and some storage will do me. Are you thinking on going racing that your doing a conversion?

No, got no interest in racing right now, did toy with doing Tony's series but my car is too far from eligible and not really competitive in the series above.

Just figured it would be good for weekend car shows and stuff like that really.

Cup In bits
Having owned this now for getting on 4 months and not having any receipts for the timing belt being done it was starting to bother me every time I was out (it turned out the belt itself had been changed true to my friends word but not the water pump which is a potential fubared engine if that goes as well) Last week I researched the job and got together all the parts and tools needed.

Yesterday everything had arrived so I set about doing the job and doing it right, I got the right timing tools, belt, idler, eccentric tensioner, hydraulic tensioner, water pump and thermostat.

null_zps145767c2.jpg

null_zpsf9896444.jpg

Started like this.

null_zpse553462d.jpg

Removed this.

null_zps2aa6d61c.jpg

To be left with this.

null_zpsce4e7fe9.jpg

All the new parts fitted, engine times and ready to be built back up.

null_zps370c5772.jpg

Filled the cooling system with water to flush through the system once more and was back where I was 7 hours before albeit with a safer engine (I hope). All the aux belts were done a few months ago so no need for them.

Today I set about doing the service, engine oil and filter, gearbox oil and filter (10 litres Of FFS) oil for the rear LSD and coolant.

First I dropped the coolant after a flush through with clean water from the day before, topped up the coolant and brought up to temp and bled.

null_zpsb5f84ddf.jpg

I then dropped all the other fluids an refilled, the gearbox service is done in two stages (stupid idea) as the the torque converter holds half the oil so I dropped 5 litres then refilled 5 litres for today.

I will run it for a while to mix through then drop the box cradle, sump pan, filter and replace that, then replace the other 5 litres and in theory I should have new oil or a lot cleaner than what was in there. I also have the car a full check over for friction material levels, greased all applicable points and done the tyre pressures.

Tomorrow I will replace the rear cam seals (common fault) which is just two o rings on the rear of the head's, should be easy enough except for access and I also got a full new set of aero wipers. That lot should see me through the winter and a few trips up the hills.

Last edited:
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Great turnaround,i was getting a bit worried about the wheels making it look a bit council drug dealer.

Cup In bits
Thanks for the comments.

The car is driving lovely now, a lot smoother in the gear changes so chuffed with that.

Asda aero window wipers I'm not so impressed with, you buy cheap you buy twice. I have used them before now but they don't deal with certain curved sunscreens.

Cup In bits
UPDATE!!

After nearly two years of ownership the daily/tow car has finally let me down just last week. Not the end of the world but a potentially expensive fault.... the fuel pump pick up/sender pipes had corroded through and began to give a small drip of fuel, after investigating and trying to patch up what was there it turned from bad to worse and I had a massive leak so I had to repair it.

I contacted Mitsubishi who wanted £550 for the part alone :dizzy: and £880 to fit so I had to hatch a plan after coming up with blanks when looking for a 2nd hand good condition part. I soon figured out that the diesel version used the same pick up (externally anyway) and I thought I could graft on the exterior (to the tank) pipework so that I would end up with one good one from the two. Anyway I went ahead and ordered that as it was only £75.

8DE3573D-15B5-4FF0-8EE2-766CAD6DC428_zpsmtvllx6a.jpg

The part arrived and I thought I was onto a winner, just expecting too cut of the old pipes and have the new braised on... well that didn't happen.....

I set about removing the tank and despite two rounded nuts it was easy for what is now a 18 year old car, I was quite impressed. With the tank out I removed the pick up and was to be proven wrong and the design didn't quite match up like I thought... anyway i'll explain as I go.

73A9CB17-2184-4534-A3EA-21F5EB9B9EC6_zpsys6nyssu.jpg

8284FE11-75BF-4A65-B07B-4485E0A8CB76_zps42kponmn.jpg

I had to do something with what I had so I sourced some fuel hose that suited the feed and return pipe diameters and decided to ni**er rig what I had as I need the car going for the weekend and Mitsubishi wasn't getting any of my hard earned. I started by hacking off the exterior lines with a hack saw.

32A59BB4-BBE2-4E99-BF31-68AD622E2991_zpser6qnt3r.jpg

55EAD77F-59A0-4314-9D99-8659DCB6A25C_zpstec99feu.jpg

8E776A32-431C-43FA-A2D9-186301ED013B_zpsjz8cudyi.jpg

I then cut the pipes internally to the sender.

B14ECD28-E5A7-4763-9864-19E072406CA7_zpsskd4dymg.jpg

Pulled out the old faithful cone drill and set to remove what was left.

22F55E96-6D3F-4425-AAF5-C256C732245C_zpsoao3gaba.jpg

I was left two holes in the sender cover which I could now pass the fuel hose through after I had bored them to the right size where the hose was tight enough for a seal but loose enough to pass through.

3B310E2E-41DB-4384-91E7-F066E58DD887_zpsj96lsbv1.jpg

I had to bend the return line slightly to allow the fitment of the fuel hose and jubilee clamp.

2A5537B4-8D58-48A7-A252-AA708D23AFEF_zps7gctocdg.jpg

I then fitted the fuel hose and clamped it on. And volià I have a working pick up assembly... not pretty but at the cost of £9.78 I couldn't care haha.

0BB2D7BD-F434-464D-8934-3CCD72BD98DE_zpsogkxokot.jpg

2F9E9DDB-3EF9-47B5-813C-AAF2B6FE1718_zps3hivit8g.jpg

I then refitted everything into the tank and tomorrow I will install the tank and for her up once again... I hope!!

So after 2 years of ownership, it's been a great daily giving no bother at all and has flown through both MOT's, however with an ever closing house purchase I will be parting ways shortly to make way for a new daily I picked up recently for less than the cost of 90% of 172's. A fully loaded 2.0 tdi S-line Avant with the multitronic box, paddle shift, sat nav, Bose sound system, genuine tow bar etc etc.... I'm really happy I found this one. So if anybody is looking for a new tow car/off roader than just get in contact, Its had all the main serviceable items seen to in my ownership and had circa 3k spent on others prior to me getting it. All around a great car really, I am doing a lot more miles than I did when I bought it so needs must I guess.

BA2FD7F6-7A2C-422D-94E7-0B4872A752A3_zpsqvbfiic4.jpg

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks a decent old girl!

I'm intrigued by how much the Audi was as most 172s are sub £1500 now 😊