ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Super Cup - First Proper Photos

Turbos.
Must just be me who doesn't have 4 feet speedbumps then...

Slight irony in spending this much money on a Clio 'road car' anyway. If you wanted to be sensible, surely the best option would be to have spent nothing?

Must just be me who doesn't have 4 feet speedbumps then...

Slight irony in spending this much money on a Clio 'road car' anyway. If you wanted to be sensible, surely the best option would be to have spent nothing?

Do you understand the concepts of damper travel and bump steer? As they're pretty important in understanding why running excessively low ride heights is a limiting factor on track and road cars. It's not about 'being sensible' its about building a car which is useable and fast in the real world - it's not a pure road car either, I have set targets that I want to achieve i.e. the 58.5 second lap of Brands whilst maintaining complete usability on the road - that is a lot more difficult to achieve than simply building a fast track car. The point of this car is that it is no more compromised than a standard 172 Cup and yet a lot, lot more capable.

Have a look at this:

bubulle50_1134075731_2eme_clio..jpg

Super 1600 Clio - possibly the fastest Clio on bumpy tarmac B roads. Note the ride height. You need compliance and travel to maintain effective tyre contact patch loading over bumpy roads - run out of travel and you run out of grip on that corner as the load on the contact patch reduces over the crest of the bump.

On road car clios you are also limited by the amount of angle you can induce/reduce in the steering arms. Running excessively low ride height just results in bump steer which is not what you want at all. Okay you can shim the rack up and the track rod ends down on the upright to induce the correct angle back into the arms but why go to all that work and still be limited by travel?

Cheers
M

EP3 Civic Type R
My Cup is very low on coilovers.... If I was to go on a track or want 'really' fast road use, I would raise mine for sure. Although the cornering is there and there is less body roll, Icarus is right, there isn't much left for travel within the springs and you need that on a fast road car.

Car looks good- did you ever receive your diamond- I did try PM'ing you- let me know :)

172 Exclusive... For Sale
Love what you're doing here Icarus, makes complete sense and something I would like to do, especially the suspension setup also love the bay. Best of luck with the resk of your plans at your Brands target.

Out of interest Icarus, what spring rates are you running front and rear?

Completely boggo out the box Bilstein spec with 4lb helper springs.

I have a load of springs spare but actualy can't be arsed to start playing as its very, very good as per supplied by Bilstein if there is sufficent ride height in the car.

At the moment I feel it really needs a bit more neg camber on the nose so have some camber bolts on the way to sort that.

Cheers
M

Turbos.
I think you're taking it a wee bit seriously for a Clio, especially comparing it with a Super 1600 car. You really don't need to be worrying about the finite changes in bumpsteer by going down a inch, seriously!

See the thing is I do. I fail to see the point in compromising the handling of the car for a purely aesthetic reason. Okay theres a CofG advantage but thats not really applicable to this car as it won't be on slicks and won't pull the kind of G where that becomes important.

Cheers
M

Turbos.
If you're not on hot tyres i fail to see how you're going to get a 58.5 second lap. If you're being sensible, does that mean you are retaining the interior?

If you're not on hot tyres i fail to see how you're going to get a 58.5 second lap. If you're being sensible, does that mean you are retaining the interior?

R888's and a handy driver. 58.5 should be relatively easy. I can get a standard one around in 60.5 and I am in no way a handy driver!

Full interior! Although it may get different front seats at some point. Stripping the rears is only worth a hanful of KG's as they are very, very light.

Cheers
M

182 Cup
Would you be putting the R888's on the Turinis, on on some smaller 15" wheels? The closest match I could find for the Toyos was 195/50 R16.

E39 M5 & Corsa track
looking good, the bilstein kit is great, out the box they always work so well IMO!

if yoiu need any more bits for it let me know. ;)

Bumder With A Buffer
Haven't got a clue who MBPerformance are I'm afraid. This one came straight from China for 35 quid where they're hacking all sort of 'short shift' type things out.

I modified it by cleaning up the piss poor machining, spinning up some new nylon bushes for it and reducing the amount it shortened the throw to still provide ample time of the synchros to work. Its in there purely to reduce slop/play rather than reduce shift throw and it works very well with a nice tight change and clearly defined 'gate'.

If MBPerformance make a nice shiny one with decent machining then thats probably who the Chinese copied this one from!

Cheers
M

You wouldn't care to share a link to the cheap china stuff?? I need to destroy/play with one and 167 euro's is a lot to hack around with one!

Was on GlobalSpec/Link mate. Sure they are on e-bay for not a lot more though. Said Renault 5 on the box mine came in but they're all pretty much the same!

Cheers
M

"Navy" N17 TWO
Nice mods mate :)

Is it a super Cup because of the angle the pics were taken at? :rasp: looks fookin MASSIVE lol

Tullyvernon

Northern Ireland
ClioSport Area Rep
  Williams, Focus RS
looking good, looking forward to seing the new engine and inlet.....