ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The story so far Ph1 172 track / hillclimb car

16v
Right so I bought this a few years back and my idea was always to turn it into a track and hillclimb toy which now due getting a new car I have started.

When I bought it in 2002
album_pic.jpg

2003 when I changed to standard F1's

PICT0001.jpg

Splitter & Coilovers

DSC00058.jpg

DSC000577.jpg

OZ Superleggeras 16" and CF Bonnet

PICT0008.jpg

Got the wheels re done in Anthracite

Clio @ South Mims meet 1.jpg

OCT 07

PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0012-1.jpg

PICT0011-1.jpg

PICT0015-1.jpg

PICT0016.jpg

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n218/artur69uk/my car/PICT0011-1.jpg
PICT0017.jpg
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n218/artur69uk/my car/PICT0017.jpg

PICT0020.jpg

PICT0021.jpg

Any ideas or positive feedback welcomed. :eek:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Would the harnesses be better strapped to the rear brace?

If you have a smash, the harness bar would rip right out. In fact, if you were strong enough, you could probably rip it out yourself!

Just out of interest Artur69, why did you go for bigger wheels? surely for hillclimbs, smaller wheels would be better for acceleration?

16v
Just out of interest Artur69, why did you go for bigger wheels? surely for hillclimbs, smaller wheels would be better for acceleration?[/quote]

I have a set of 15" F1's with R888's for that lol

Evo 6, E92 320d
Right gotcha Dan, to me it looks like the part they are bolted to atm looks like it would be a little flimsy under some force, unless theres a few bits reinforcing it i can't see?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Right gotcha Dan, to me it looks like the part they are bolted to atm looks like it would be a little flimsy under some force, unless theres a few bits reinforcing it i can't see?

Where they're bolted to atm is where the rear seatbelts mount to, they can take a s**t load of force. (its what they're designed to do after all!)

RenaultSport 172.
thats is sexual mate...love it all!

:p

Originally Posted by Chrisjk
Would the harnesses be better strapped to the rear brace?

I have been told that it woudnt be safe?!

my car passed its MOT with the harness's wrapped round the strutbrace...its safe :)

Audi TT 225
Not keen on the mirrors or spoiler but the rest rocks.

Also your yozza sticker is on a bit wonky? ;)

16v
I know I love them too they only took 30 minutes to make (each)

How?

With what?

I made a template with cardboard off the door and and where all the holes for the speakers/door handles etc needed to be them traced it to the carbon fibre cheet and cut it! then did the same for the rear quarter panels. Straight forward really! Just make sure that you get the template spot on before cutting the CF. :)

VRS
looking good :D

iirc the angle of the harnesses will do a lot of damage to you if you have a crash, you need the harness mounting point to be higher up.

attaching them to rear strut braces isnt safe as the brace will just come off if its only attached to the strut tops

russ@gasperformance does some mint braces (available in different tube sizes iirc) which you weld/bolt into the strut turrets. these would be the best option imo for the harness attachments :D

russ's is a larger size brace

pics in here:

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=234432

'06 Black FF 197
why do you need speakers in a hillclimb car? thought it would look ace all raw like the "real thing" dont you???

I had a little fiat seicento sporting once, all rally prepared for group N, it was raw like a mothe********Er all that was useless got ripped out... thats what I'd do if I was making a track car out of a clio rs.... simply lacking the funds for it now, am looking to buy one to commute though, but thats off till spring, need to sell my '03 megane first, just got 4 years old this october....

anyone want to import a 1.6 meggy from poland, crashed once by my gf, panited head to toes at the renault dealer??? ;)

16v
why do you need speakers in a hillclimb car? thought it would look ace all raw like the "real thing" dont you???

I had a little fiat seicento sporting once, all rally prepared for group N, it was raw like a mothe********Er all that was useless got ripped out... thats what I'd do if I was making a track car out of a clio rs.... simply lacking the funds for it now, am looking to buy one to commute though, but thats off till spring, need to sell my '03 megane first, just got 4 years old this october....

anyone want to import a 1.6 meggy from poland, crashed once by my gf, panited head to toes at the renault dealer??? ;)

I still like to hear music on the way to a trackday or a hillclimb for now :D I suppose once the new CF dash goes on there will be no radio so they will be coming out then

Civic Type-R
Car is looking really good! Where did you get the rear strut brace from? I can only seem to find them in red.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
dude get those harnesess of the seat mount.. there made out of cheese and they WILL come off.

(i managed to pull mine off with pliers)

PS where si the CF sheet from and is it 200gsm

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
a good place to mount them is the rear of the car where the belt reel is bolted in (at the top of the C piller). putting them to the floor will cause damage to you in a crash

16v
dude get those harnesess of the seat mount.. there made out of cheese and they WILL come off.

(i managed to pull mine off with pliers)

Will sort it out today I was told that they are solid!?!?

PS where si the CF sheet from and is it 200gsm

from a company called performance trim, Carbon fibre cloth (2x2 twill).

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
so did you make the sheet or just buy the cloth and mix it with the polly?

wana lend me the MDF mould ;)

16v
I bought the sheet already made I just cut it to size mate much eaiser than having to do it all in my opinion ( I tried and the sheet looked horrible with bubbles and imperfections so I left it to the professional lol)