ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Power PC Thread [f*ck off consoles]

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I need a third monitor, because reasons. Also need a three monitor stand because one of the screens will overhang the desk

Currently have 2x 24 (AOC G2460PQU and a Dell S2409W)

Had the Dell for 7 years, bloody hell. Not sure whether to go for a 27" to go in the middle, or just buy another 24"

What think? Budget ideally less than 300. Game only in 1080p (have a GTX1070 so could go higher). Mostly a lot of EVE, so I may just stick with another 1080p panel

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Quite hefty memory usage right there then!
I have some 'enterprise' security systems/tools that it'd be nice to play about with on a home machine and depending on how far I go with them the memory soon disappears!
Currently have stuff running on the work laptop with 32Gb so be nice to have something separate to use that can be left running rather than just firing the machines up now and again to fiddle with or do demos.
Had thought about one of those Skull Canyon NUCs at one point, but then thought if I'm spending the money may as well get something I can add a decent GPU to so I can start some gaming again :smile:
Been way too long out the game so to speak, but fancy seeing if any of my old Counterstrike friends are still around :wink:

Last edited:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
What think? Budget ideally less than 300. Game only in 1080p (have a GTX1070 so could go higher). Mostly a lot of EVE, so I may just stick with another 1080p panel
I still game at 1080p (or 1200p) despite having the 1080 GTX. I'm all for buttery smooth frame rates with all the settings turned up to max rather than higher pixel counts and having to compromise on quality. When 4K gaming truly arrives then I will upgrade to higher-res monitors.

I have some 'enterprise' security systems/tools that it'd be nice to play about with on a home machine and depending on how far I go with them the memory soon disappears!
Ouch! And I thought I had big data sets and memory consumption to deal with :tonguewink:

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Ouch! And I thought I had big data sets and memory consumption to deal with :tonguewink:
The software for one system by default won't install on anything less than 24Gb with 48Gb being the minimum recommended for a virtual instance, but for a 'messing about at home' install won't need all that.

Still in two minds about going for this though, on one hand it'd be nice to have something to fiddle with at home, but on other do I need to...

Maybe I keep telling myself it's all in the name of professional development ;)

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The software for one system by default won't install on anything less than 24Gb with 48Gb being the minimum recommended for a virtual instance, but for a 'messing about at home' install won't need all that.

Still in two minds about going for this though, on one hand it'd be nice to have something to fiddle with at home, but on other do I need to...

Maybe I keep telling myself it's all in the name of professional development :wink:
That's a mental minimum memory requirement - I deal with global data sets and complex simulations that crunch through petabytes of data and have lesser memory requirements! LOL!

If it's in the name of professional development then you shouldn't even have to question it; it's essential... That's the excuse I use. Although, since going self-employed, my home rig has also become my professional development rig. Win-win. :)

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I have some simulated arrays on my work laptop that want more than the 32gig I have in it

Although tbh I only have those for practice for stuff I don't use much, the usual stuff I work on would never be able to be emulated on a laptop (currently setting up an array with 16Tb in cache)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I need a third monitor, because reasons. Also need a three monitor stand because one of the screens will overhang the desk

Currently have 2x 24 (AOC G2460PQU and a Dell S2409W)

Had the Dell for 7 years, bloody hell. Not sure whether to go for a 27" to go in the middle, or just buy another 24"

Come on man, what's your in game name?

I still play on 1 monitor, always have! Unless they're identical size/resolution it upsets me and I can't afford another 27" ROG :(

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Come on man, what's your in game name?

I still play on 1 monitor, always have! Unless they're identical size/resolution it upsets me and I can't afford another 27" ROG 😧
TheJay

I need another one, 4 chars and 2 monitors doesn't work (though I only really use 3 at a time)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Have never used or considered water cooling before, but I am going to do a chassis change as my 540 Air is doing my head in with how loud it can get just trying to keep average temperatures down.

Currently got a 4790K (not overclocked) and a reference 980Ti sitting in a Corsair 540 with 6 Noctua PWM fans + Noctua DH15 with 2 fans. The fans are very quiet until the GPU is given a lot to do, at which point the case fans start spinning (linked to temperature of the GPU rather than CPU) and they'll go up to 75% when the GPU hits 65 degrees at which point it doesn't really get any hotter as 6 Noctua fans at 75% make a bit of a breeze!

So yeah, not particularly looking to upgrade any hardware other than the case/cooling situation- if anyone has any suggestions it'd be most appreciated!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
That's a mental minimum memory requirement - I deal with global data sets and complex simulations that crunch through petabytes of data and have lesser memory requirements! LOL!
Real time processing of a lot of 'stuff' coming into the system per second seems to like having the memory there.
Might have to start ordering some bits this week :)

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Some of you might of saw my 27" monitor 4K thread. What it is im after a new build now. My old pc build is about 8 years old or there abouts.
All I'll be doing on it is surfing, watching videos, streaming like Netflix, but I'll be plugging my HDMI cable from it to my new monitor which is in the other thread for more info.

I've been looking on Chillblast and took a screen shot. I don't know anything about pc specs but any advice welcome

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
Some of you might of saw my 27" monitor 4K thread. What it is im after a new build now. My old pc build is about 8 years old or there abouts.
All I'll be doing on it is surfing, watching videos, streaming like Netflix, but I'll be plugging my HDMI cable from it to my new monitor which is in the other thread for more info.

I've been looking on Chillblast and took a screen shot. I don't know anything about pc specs but any advice welcome
IMG_0039.PNG

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered the NCase M1, will get some bits to put in it once it arrives this week :)

Likely a 7700k, been reading about delidding to help temps on these, if not over locking or just very lightly am I likely to still see much benefit? Just thinking with it being quite a tight case help with things?

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone know of a cheap way of measuring input lag? Obviously there's that tester unit thing but that costs £80, and I don't have another screen with a known input lag time.

It's for a 4k TV so I know it's going to be poor, but the real question is just how poor.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Which TV. Theres a thread over on AVForums with a good number of TVs and their respective lag times.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Filming what? Without anything to compare to I can't see what you'd be timing the delay from.
It's a pretty standard test mate. Admittedly the ones I've seen used for perfect accuracy have a setup that'll take more than 5 minutes to replicate.

Basically you have something that triggers an on-screen action using mouse or keyboard, you then have the mouse/keyboard button also hooked up to a circuit that lights an LED. That way you can say that the LED illuminates instantly when the button is triggered. You film them both in the same frame, and you count the frames between the LED lighting up and the on-screen action being displayed.

240fps technically gives you accuracy to +/- 4ms which is pretty good.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, I thought about doing it through filming a mouse click, but couldn't think of anything on the computer which I know displays a mouse click instantly.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Ordered the NCase M1, will get some bits to put in it once it arrives this week :smile:

Likely a 7700k, been reading about delidding to help temps on these, if not over locking or just very lightly am I likely to still see much benefit? Just thinking with it being quite a tight case help with things?
I wouldn't bother personally. Sure, there are some crazy temperature reductions (allegedly) to be had from delidding and through the use of better thermal compounds, etc. but I'd rather not risk knackering a new CPU. Real-world gains aren't exactly going to be significant either so I'd just leave as is.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
AMD Ryzen pricing is looking interesting... especially if the performance is as good as expected. The flagship R7 1800 X is currently around the 500 quid mark (albeit without heatsink and fan) and is supposed to be on a par with the £1k+ Intel i7-6900K in terms of performance. Hopefully the benchmarks will start coming through soon.

Evo 5 RS
Someones screen is leaving today :tongueout:

(Gone back to my IPS 1440P 60Hz, it's painful far as transitions go!!!). Hope you're happy with it or I'll have it back ;)

Ryzen pricing is aggressive, I just hope people aren't expecting too much from it.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Someones screen is leaving today :tongueout:

(Gone back to my IPS 1440P 60Hz, it's painful far as transitions go!!!). Hope you're happy with it or I'll have it back :wink:

Ryzen pricing is aggressive, I just hope people aren't expecting too much from it.
:up: You beauty :smile: Thanks mate. I hope the transition isn't too painful. You'll get first dibs if I ever decide to part ways with the monitor, CPU, etc. :innocent: I can't see it happening any time soon though I'm afraid. This system is rock solid and the powaaah is ideal for my needs (and a few games of course).

Regarding AMD's Ryzen and expectation... that's the thing. As usual, people are expecting an awful lot from it. I hope it shakes the market up a bit but I'll reserve judgment until I see some real-world benchmarks from respectable sites (possibly not Toms Hardware though). Call me cynical but I can't see how AMD can offer a CPU that matches, for example, the i7 6900K but for half the price (or thereabouts). Interesting times. Regardless of the outcome I would like to see Intel have some healthier competition in the CPU market (whatever happened to Cyrix?) but I'll always be a complete and utter Intel and NVidia snob regardless... :tonguewink:

Evo 5 RS
Regarding AMD's Ryzen and expectation... that's the thing. As usual, people are expecting an awful lot from it. I hope it shakes the market up a bit but I'll reserve judgment until I see some real-world benchmarks from respectable sites (possibly not Toms Hardware though). C
You might be waiting a while lol.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I'm gonna use my company discount to get a screen when I get paid.. if they remember to pay me (it's either 20 or 25% off). Just about makes it cheaper than buying from a reseller

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Finally came to the bottom of my issues with my pc starting up at random times. I enabled the 'ErP ready' option in the BIOS earlier in the week and it's not happened since, so that seems to have sorted it!

I also found some random cold cathodes in an old PC case in my cupboard and decided my PC needed a little bit of lighting lol. Doesn't look too bad...
IMG_20170209_181419.jpg

Really need to get myself a modular power supply with proper sheathed cabling to make it look neater still. Considering making a custom shroud for the PSU and bottom of the case too. A graphics card upgrade would also be nice...and some watercooling for the CPU. When does it end? 😢

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Finally came to the bottom of my issues with my pc starting up at random times. I enabled the 'ErP ready' option in the BIOS earlier in the week and it's not happened since, so that seems to have sorted it!
Ah - interesting! I'm glad it seems to have fixed things. By enabling the ErP option you actually lose the Wake on LAN functionality (along with a few other power-related features). Nothing to worry about though I don't think!

Really need to get myself a modular power supply with proper sheathed cabling to make it look neater still. Considering making a custom shroud for the PSU and bottom of the case too. A graphics card upgrade would also be nice...and some watercooling for the CPU. When does it end? 😢
It's like car modding; it never ends! :)