ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The point of an iPad

I'm curious to what you use them for. I cannot understand the point of a giant iphone.

I have an iphone for when I'm out and a macbook for home. The macbook is also small enough to travel with.

Explain spending £500 on a screen

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Tbh I thought the same when they first came out but they are so much more than that.

The only thing I have thought of is using three of them as a mixing set up, but not worth £1500 for something inferior and will wear off

Mine is used for all web browsing while at home.

Checking emails, forums, FB, remote desktop, logmein (work PC), remote control AppleTV (far better than the iPhone can).

Can't imagine not having one, far easier to use than a laptop.

Cupra
TBH it's not a must have for me but a nice to have.

I can browse internet and emails quicker
I can copy photos over from my camera and show them to clients in a fancy format and without lugging a laptop around
I can hand it over to the kids and get an hours peace and quiet
I can take over my PC at work when in meetings in or out of the building and do tests/ send files or whatever else I need to

Aside from being quicker to load up and being light, it does nothing that a laptop can't, but I wouldn't be without it.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Web browsing, email, eBay, PayPal, paying bills, reading (iBooks), alarm clock, magazines and showing people holiday photos are a few uses that spring to mind for me. Mine gets well used, as does my MacBook.

Kawasaki ER6N
I was thinking of getting one but think the money would be better used to get a laptop with a blue ray burner and hdmi etc built in, I have an iphone 4 and can create a network using that and a wifi sd card to have images pop up on the laptop.

182, 172 Track Shed
When people say its faster, do they mean its faster to power up when its first switched on? Faster out of hibernation?

Once its up and running it cant be that much faster at web browsing surely?

Even my poverty spec laptop will open a browser window in about 1 second, how much faster is a tablet?

I really need to try one as I do think they look cool, just afraid I wouldnt use it that much.....:S

There is something about it that makes me want one but I literally have no use for it.

What are the battery lives like on them?

Buy for a week of holiday then return? :L

Only if you want to change music on it, I havent plugged mine in since buying it last year.
I use it at work and at home, never use my laptop anymore.

R26
Can you download normal stuff onto them? Or does it have to be from the app store?

E.g. Traktor pro

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
All the fun of a laptop with none of the keys :)

I didnt see the point in them at first but after I played on a few I'm sold, they're so much more convinient than a laptop... I use my phone for everything now... It's actually faster than my laptop so I think an iPad would just be a more comfortable version of an iPhone, less strain on fingers and eyes after long periods of use.

I still wouldn't want one just for the price. £500 for a big iPhone? Srsly?

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I have nothing important on mine either, however the backup was invaluable when mine crashed last week. It reset itself to factory setting and everything was gone. Plugged it in, restore and boom it was all there again (minus a book I had bought but iTunes customer services sorted that for me). I'd have hated to have to trawl through iTunes looking for every app I had.

I'd definitely recommend at least a monthly backup :) .

Inferno 182 CUP
Picked my White one up today after searching for a week for one in stock!!!

Picked it up at one and still havnt been able to go home and play :( FML

Now Sold :-(
Mine lives on a table in the lounge and is used every day for web browsing, e-mail and the odd game. When not is use makes a nice photo frame.
You will be amazed just how much you use it when it's just sat there ready and waiting to go in an instant.
My macbook never leaves the home office now.

I may buy one but it'll be purely for surfing and email.

I think the touch interface will be sensational for navigating the web, and it's a more social thing to have in the lounge when friends or family are over. Everyone has access to the internet in an instant. Plus HDMI mirroring on my (soon to be) 55" TV will be awesome for showing pics and watching youtube stuff. People who think they have no use need to think outside the box.