ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Audi RS6...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Quick? Just a bit... I know it's V8 now but still... oh I love the old one! I want a saloon!

A9WpY81CIAAk52L.jpg

Anyway bit of blurb...

When it launched in 2008, the current Audi RS6's turbocharged knockout punch offered a distinctly different approach to AMG and M’s higher-revving, naturally aspirated V8s and V10s. The RS's V10, all cataclysmic engine note and peak torque from just 1,500rpm was something very different in character, even if the car itself was a bit of a blunt tool.

How times change. Both BMW and Mercedes now offer meaty twin-turbo V8s in place of their zingy naturally-aspirated engines, matching Audi’s engine tech blow for blow. Time for a new RS6, then – one that drops a couple of cylinders and 100kg, and chucks in a ton of interesting new tech to maintain the old Vorsprung Durch Technik thing.

So it’s a return to a twin-turbo V8, like the Cosworth-built one in the first-generation RS6, then. A ‘mere’ 4.0 litres, the new engine puts induction on the ‘outside’ of the cylinder heads, while the turbos and exhausts sit inside the V, which should enable faster throttle response. It also shuts down four cylinders when not needed, improving fuel consumption by five per cent and nudging 30mpg (28.8 officially) when trundling along.

Hang on. Fuel consumption? Sorry. We’ll move on to the important stuff. A litre and two cylinders down on the muscular, oversquare V10, the new V8 loses a little in terms of outright power (560hp to the V10’s 579), but gains a useful slug of torque (516lbft, compared with the V10’s 479). Together with the new RS6’s slimming regime, the result is a 0-62 time of 3.9 seconds, making this the first RS6 to drop below the sub-four to 62 mark. At the top end, there’s an electronically-limited top speed of 155mph, though the optional Dynamic package raises that to 174mph, while a Dynamic Plus package will get you a further boost to 189mph.

The new engine will be bolted to an eight-speed automatic transmission, though it’s interesting to note that Audi has opted not to fit a DSG box here. The reason for that, Audi claims, is that the work that’s been done by ZF on this transmission, and the resultant speed of its shifts, makes it better-suited to the RS6. The proof of the pudding, as they say...

There’s another first in the suspension department, as this will be the first RS model to feature air suspension. The adaptive system adjusts itself depending on the driving style and road conditions, and has the ability to lower the body by up to 20mm. If you’d prefer a more traditional suspension setup, though, steel springs and three-way adjustable shock absorbers will also be available.

Inside, there’ll be the sort of high-spec interior you’ll be expecting from a car like this, featuring swathes of leather and alcantara, unique sports seats, and a raft of toys. One of the more interesting among those will be a driver information system that’ll include a shift light, plus displays for boost pressure, oil temperature, gear selected and digital speed.

All of which will doubtless make for a very impressive car. But the real test will be whether the company’s chassis men have managed to sharpen up the RS6’s dynamics to make it more about the driving experience, and less about the headline figures. Judging by the company’s latest new models, there’s reason to be optimistic.

Of course, if the £77,000 that Audi will be asking for the new model is a smidge more than your budget allows, a quick scoot through the PistonHeads classifieds shows that older models of RS6 have now depreciated to such an extent as to render them almost affordable. For example, one can find oneself enjoying the finery of an original V8 Biturbo model for under £10,000 these days. This one, finished in a nicely understated Mugello Blue, has reasonable mileage and main dealer history, too, and seems to be free of any unnecessary aftermarket trinketry.

If nothing but the big V10 version will do, though, you’ll have to stretch your budget up to £32,000, for which sum you could be driving away in this example. Again, the mileage isn’t ridiculous, and the all-important full history is here, too; the Daytona Grey paintwork seems to be the most common colour, but it does at least add ten Q-car points.

670x377Image.jpg

the-new-audi-rs6-avant-4.jpg

An all time favourite. And at least this RS hasn't had it's styling destroyed, like the new '4.

Suzuki Swift Sport
This looks so aggressive for a big car, really like the styling!

I was lucky enough to drive a C6 V10 Avant with an MTM conversion to 720 bhp, was unbelievable to drive! Want one...

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
Next car, just for me RS5 or if just one car then rs4/rs6 avant. Absolutely love that.

In blue or grey tho. :eek:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
c6 rs6 with the right mods will hit 750bhp, 0-60 in 3.2 and 198mph... in avant form!

as for the r8 v8 the b7rs4 is as quick and some have easily been quicker than the r8... ok you dont have the r8 shell but the rs4 is more of a q car, the b8s4 with the v6 tfsi engine is a smart future buy too!

and rs5... drive it back to back with a b7rs4 (effectively the same car) the b7 is a MUCH better car to drive, the steering the the rs5 is horrible!

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Definitely one for Chris Harris to give his verdict on.

I expect it to be like this...

"Understeer... Grrrr I f**king hate understeer! Why can't Audi make a car that can go round corners! AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!"

Would be an awesome Autobahn cruiser though!

Lotus Elise
Does nothing for me :( the last hot Audi I got excited about was the RS4 Avant. Now that was a nice car to drive!

Suzuki Swift Sport
The C6 RS6 did buck the understeer trend somewhat, I seem to remember a video of Tiff driving it and managing to get it sideways!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
0-60 in 3.9s.

Which can carry dogs and people in comfort.

F*ck me.

I adore fast Audi's. I just hope this annoys Harris as much as the RS3 did. t**t.

C6 is one of my all time favourite cars, funking love them. Had a C5 in at work yesterday that I was still boring people to death with talking about this morning.

This looks immense, but it's a shame it won't have as good soundtrack as the C6.

Clio 172 ph1, others
Been borrowing this for a few weeks after my knee op;

IMG-20121112-00158.jpg

Managed an indicated 140mph 5 up going round the Le Mans Circuit after the race when I borrowed it a couple of years ago
thumbs.gif

I think they're great cars, it's so comfortable and effortless, somehow has that comforting feeling of stability and safety with the performance.

Dad describes the handling as "crap" compared to his C63 Estate, but thats to be expected. I does grip well, but not the best turn in...

Think they should have developed the C5 V8 engine further rather than going for the V10 RS6, which was probably done just for the skae of it. When me and my dad test drove the V10 RS6 it just felt way too heavy, and not any faster until about 90mph. In a drivers republic video it got raped in a straight line by a standard AMG C63 FFS! Biggest dissapointment that car.

It would have made for a faster and lighter car. Seems they are back on track with this one though!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Erm like I said chip the c6 rs6 and 0-60 in 3.2 sec that pisses on a c5 don't get me wrong I like the c5 but the c6 is a big step up in most ways!

S4 Avant
I expect it to be like this...

"Understeer... Grrrr I f**king hate understeer! Why can't Audi make a car that can go round corners! AAAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHH!"

Would be an awesome Autobahn cruiser though!

A fast Audi estate is never going to give you sports car handling. The two things are mutually exclusive. What it is, is a comfortable cruiser that will wipe the floor with pretty much everything in a straight-line, but still fit in your weekly shopping, 3 dead bodies and a christmas tree.

They can be made to go round corners well, but you lose out on a big bonus of a fast Audi. It's so effortless to do silly speeds absolutely everywhere.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
A fast Audi estate is never going to give you sports car handling. The two things are mutually exclusive. What it is, is a comfortable cruiser that will wipe the floor with pretty much everything in a straight-line, but still fit in your weekly shopping, 3 dead bodies and a christmas tree.

They can be made to go round corners well, but you lose out on a big bonus of a fast Audi. It's so effortless to do silly speeds absolutely everywhere.

LOL!

Audi should use this as their sales pitch <3

It is so true though. I'd honestly rather an RS Audi than most Ferrari's.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
That looks awesome. I wouldn't mind one of those. Would prefer an rs3 though maybe? I'm not sure. Both will do.

Clio 172 ph1, others
B7 RS4's often don't make quoted power from what I can make out. I've driven one briefly, and it didnt feel as rapid as I expected, very well balanced though :)

My ur quattro has 420 bhp and weighs about 1300kg. Performance box says 0-60 in 3.9 secs, and I had a play with a V10 R8 not long ago, managed to pull a car length on him on a third gear pull, his face was a picture :D

S4 Avant
LOL!

Audi should use this as their sales pitch <3

It is so true though. I'd honestly rather an RS Audi than most Ferrari's.

They certainly need to make a mark with their sales pitch.

Went shopping for a coupe style german car for the mother last weekend. The A5 looks spot on compared to the C class coupe and the 3 series coupe, but seriously lacking inside.

Interior on the new Audis is appalling in comparison with the older ones. You really don't get a lot on the base model, and it feels massively cheaper inside than the mercedes.

This one ^ (someday)
Now the dog can experience some serious speed without scratching up the leather seats, result!

But seriously, i have always loved the idea of a bat s**t fast estate car and the RS audis have always appealed to me a bit more than the big AMG Mercs.