ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The K-tec clio going up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Brisol my lover..
I did have to take some extra brave pills when i hit that oil and i didnt realise how close i was to the Evo i think i ws a lucky mother fucker..

Brisol my lover..
lol, what didnt help was i went over take my mate in his golf coming up avon rise but he pulled across just before i could get pass, he then was going to fast and locked up, this was good thing because i backed of a few car lenghts as he kind of went straight on instead of going round the bend, i was watching him and didnt notice the oil next thing i knew i was doing a Vin Diesel round the corner, all i could see was a evo in my rear veiw slidingtowards me.

Lionel Richie
machinery like that getting used properly is going to have issues every now and again, par for the course! wouldn't start saying its bad advertising etc etc, s**t happens!

I know that, you know that. But to the general public and Forum trolls a car going up in flames is never going to get a vote of confidence whatever the reason. Nobody running a business wants any part failures or gremlins to display themselves in public no matter how innocent they are.

Lionel Richie
yeah i know what you mean! luckily i haven't had to deal with that (in public ;))

good lads k-tec and they know how to screw a car together, as i say, s**t can and does happen, and some fucker always has a camera to hand!

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
I know that, you know that. But to the general public and Forum trolls a car going up in flames is never going to get a vote of confidence whatever the reason. Nobody running a business wants any part failures or gremlins to display themselves in public no matter how innocent they are.

Spot on there Si, sadly when these situations arrise people make assumptions without having any of the facts to hand and forums are a bandwagon hotspot.

I personally rate K-tec very highly, good bunch of people and they know what they are doing. Like Fred said (was that a band?), s**t happens.

machinery like that getting used properly is going to have issues every now and again, par for the course! wouldn't start saying its bad advertising etc etc, s**t happens!

Of course it is bad advertising. You build engines and a car with your companies name down the side, running one of the engine you built, blows up, and the video of the incident is posted on the countries biggest clio club, which happens to have members that are your main customer focus.

If thats not bad advertising, id like to see what is.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
He could have pulled off on the back straight and not tried to carry on round the corner tbh.

340i
Of course it is bad advertising. You build engines and a car with your companies name down the side, running one of the engine you built, blows up, and the video of the incident is posted on the countries biggest clio club, which happens to have members that are your main customer focus.

What has advertising got to do with any of this :S

Are K-tec advertising the fact an engine can fail under load?

How do you know K-tec where not testing the engine too see how far it will go? therefore knowing a safe limit for customer cars.. Good advertising perhaps?

You could buy a brand new car and have something break, would that mean the dealers are implementing "bad advertisement"?

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
LOL that vid was epic!cracked me up seeing all the slide action

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
What has advertising got to do with any of this :S

Are K-tec advertising the fact an engine can fail under load?

How do you know K-tec where not testing the engine too see how far it will go? therefore knowing a safe limit for customer cars.. Good advertising perhaps?

You could buy a brand new car and have something break, would that mean the dealers are implementing "bad advertisement"?
Nice :D Like how you think

53 Clio's & counting
this car is #in a decent state of tune and will have bee nragged from day one, so what if its had a problem? plenty of people have had engines let go at low mileage from road use let alone bring ragged from day one!

i say give K Tec a chance to explain whats happened instead of throwing ideas about, geez next thing we will be hearing is he was doing 15000 rpm, down shifted to 2nd and blew the welds on his intake

as said they could have been running HC, or wanted to test to descruction, or simply burst an oil cooler pipe, the only way we will know is when K tec comes and explains

340i
Guys it was our ITB car with the sequential gearbox that had an engine failure as Castle Coombe. We were there to set the cars up for the French Car Show and whilst testing the shifting on the gearbox the engine over revved and a conrod bolt let go.

The video looks a lot worse than it actually was and we are working to get the car ready for FCS.

At least we cannot be accused of testing our cars properly ;)

David.

;)

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
seems like a more than reasonable enough explaination. Beware the Clio Sport experts with their tuned cars. Running ITG panel filters and CAF's hardly qualifies people to start slagging their efforts off imo.

172 Race Car
Guys it was our ITB car with the sequential gearbox that had an engine failure as Castle Coombe. We were there to set the cars up for the French Car Show and whilst testing the shifting on the gearbox the engine over revved and a conrod bolt let go.

The video looks a lot worse than it actually was and we are working to get the car ready for FCS.

At least we cannot be accused of testing our cars properly ;)

David.

From another thread..........

Cant see many other owners having the same problem, who on here runs a sadev on a road car?

Impressive blow up and nice video but doesnt affect ktec's reputation at all imo (unless your an armchair expert)

Flat shifting ftw

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Why are people banging on about K-Tecs rep just because a engine failed? The whole point of the Tuning industry is to push products to the limit to see what they can take? Wouldn't you all rather let the Pros who have the experience and the £££ to carry out these kinds of test rather than yourselves? Every heared of the phrase "you learn from you mistakes"?

Too many keyboard warriors with quite frankly f**k all knowledge about anything to do with mods and tuning.

Let the Pros get on with what they do best, test new products, push them to there limits and break them so we don't :)

Rant over.

Last edited:
  2005 Nissan Navara
My diagnosis was correct :)

For the record, "it comes with the territory" unfortunately. These things will always happen.
I think this engine is std internally plus ITB's, and maybe a couple other goodies, so no wonder a rod bolt failed on an over-rev....

ITB'd MK1

completely stock internals though, so not like they'd done anything wrong to the engine. With the sadev box The engine is living WAY up in the revs so engine life is naturally shortened. These things just give the oportunity for bigger and better, that's how really silly cars come about.

My diagnosis was correct :)

For the record, "it comes with the territory" unfortunately. These things will always happen.
I think this engine is std internally plus ITB's, and maybe a couple other goodies, so no wonder a rod bolt failed on an over-rev....
Theres a first for everything isnt there;)

completely stock internals though, so not like they'd done anything wrong to the engine. With the sadev box The engine is living WAY up in the revs so engine life is naturally shortened. These things just give the oportunity for bigger and better, that's how really silly cars come about.

However you look at it, this is a company product. That product has failed. That will always reflect badly on the company.

I have no axe to grind, but this would make me think twice before getting work done at Ktec. Im sure others would feel the same.

As most people who go to Ktec have road cars, reliability must be very high up on the list of desirables. Its not like Ktec main business is tuning race engines. They tune road cars mainly. In which case this looks bad.

I would be more impressed with a company that supplied me with an engine that lasted 10 years and never went wrong, than one that could 'live way up in the rev range' but only lasted 2 weeks.

Maybe thats just me.:)

Jenson Button's same Mercedes engine has just won three F1 races in a row. Now that is impressive. Reliability and performance. That is the key.

Racing blue 182 turbo :-)
However you look at it, this is a company product. That product has failed. That will always reflect badly on the company.

I have no axe to grind, but this would make me think twice before getting work done at Ktec. Im sure others would feel the same.

As most people who go to Ktec have road cars, reliability must be very high up on the list of desirables. Its not like Ktec main business is tuning race engines. They tune road cars mainly. In which case this looks bad.

I would be more impressed with a company that supplied me with an engine that lasted 10 years and never went wrong, than one that could 'live way up in the rev range' but only lasted 2 weeks.

Maybe thats just me.:)

Jenson Button's same Mercedes engine has just won three F1 races in a row. Now that is impressive. Reliability and performance. That is the key.
As Burp said it was a con rod. How is that anything to do with k-tec?? Could have happened to anyone. K-tec's work is very good if you can find a perfect car that nothing ever goes wrong with i want 1. An you dont know if hes ever had a problem with the F1 engine there not really going to tell everyone are they.

Status
Not open for further replies.