ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The K-tec clio going up in smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Focus RS mk1
things break its fact. my head gasket went on my 172 and i have never tracked my car yet others have done countless numbers of trackdays and never missed a beat, its a lottery! and always will be.

corsa ecoflex
Just got this info off the rtoc boards..........

This is what happened

Originally Posted by K-Tec Racing
Guys it was our ITB car with the sequential gearbox that had an engine failure as Castle Coombe. We were there to set the cars up for the French Car Show and whilst testing the shifting on the gearbox the engine over revved and a conrod bolt let go.

The video looks a lot worse than it actually was and we are working to get the car ready for FCS.

At least we cannot be accused of testing our cars properly ;)

David.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
chariotsoffire.jpg

Because when they put this 'kit' on your car they wont touch the bottom end either.

Does this really need spelling out for people? These are bolt on 'kits'. They have bolted them onto an engine that could be in any road car. This is what they do for a living. And it has failed. That should raise alarm bells to anyone with any sort of basic common sense.

This is a great illustration of why 'kits' are not good. Bespoke engine built /tuned to an individuals requirements is the only way to go.

Poppyc**k. What happens if I'm on track in my 100% standard bean, and I manage to downshift into 2nd at 80mph and dump the clutch? Do you think my standard Renault bottom end would stand anymore chance of surviving than the standard Renault bottom end in the ktec car?

If some of the lads are correct and it is indeed Princess Stromba (back for about the 15th time) looking to troll then take no notice Roy he's just baiting because he's bored.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
FLOL! Met Stromba and Jilly many yrs ago on a scotland run! Good craic actually!

Poppyc**k. What happens if I'm on track in my 100% standard bean, and I manage to downshift into 2nd at 80mph and dump the clutch? Do you think my standard Renault bottom end would stand anymore chance of surviving than the standard Renault bottom end in the ktec car?

The gearset in your road car is a cheap mass produced helical cut synchromesh h pattern type.

The gearset in the ktec car is a highly engineered semi straight cut dogring sequential race type.

Totally different and comparing one with the other is pointless. The casing on the sadev probably cost more than your entire gearbox.

'Make the downshifts as late as possible in your braking zone (i.e. at lower road speed), because the rev drops between each gear are then lower. So many drivers make the mistake of downshifting as soon as they begin braking, causing gearbox wear, engine damage and `disruption` to the driving wheels.'

William Hewland. 2000.

172 - 249bhp @ the wheels
The gearset in your road car is a cheap mass produced helical cut synchromesh h pattern type.

The gearset in the ktec car is a highly engineered semi straight cut dogring sequential race type.

Totally different and comparing one with the other is pointless. The casing on the sadev probably cost more than your entire gearbox.

likewise chastising a tuner for engine problems relating to user error with a gearbox no one on this site will ever have is a pointless comparison also :rolleyes:

I doubt K-tec will be particularly worried you're not buying a Sadev or their ITB kit. Most of the people talking nonsense here will have no intention of spending money on tuning their cars anyway, they rarely do.

172, Tiguan
I'm not sure the relevance of arguing over the workings of a gearbox. Roy's point was you can over rev an engine regardless of the gearbox fitted, but I think you're just looking for an argument for the sake of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.