ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The 'I work in I.T' thread

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
This company is HUGE too. So yes.
They are moving from colo to Azure. Saving around 150k a year doing it on azure too.

Mental money for a small system for 3rd parties.

They'll spend a fortune on remediation work and then ripping it out down the line because it's s**t as well

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
GPOS taking ages to actually push down onto the vads. Then inconsistencies of the vads showing policies.
Im sure Azure Conditional Access is kicking in for the office apps, so just implemented a shared token to fix that if possible.
Interesting.

I dont know enough about your setup so difficult to help.

Could you use appsense instead of policy?

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
GPOS taking ages to actually push down onto the vads. Then inconsistencies of the vads showing policies.
Im sure Azure Conditional Access is kicking in for the office apps, so just implemented a shared token to fix that if possible.

The most confusing post I have ever read in this forum!
Screenshot_20240209_163402_Samsung Internet.jpg

hopgop1

ClioSport Club Member
Still early in my career, all at the same company in the gambling sector, started out on 1st line straight out of my A levels, then 2nd/3rd line hybrid role, now a lowly junior infrastructure engineer despite getting far more done than the rest of my team, IMO anyway.
Some of the infrastructure is so ancient it’s comical, but honestly I quite enjoy it. A few absolutely mission critical systems held together by tape and prayers, favourite of mine is an Outlook macro written by someone 15 years ago, 0 documentation, sat on an ancient version of Outlook on a server 2003 (I think) VM.
Software in daily use written a few years after I was born, have a third party that is supposed to support it, but the guy who wrote it died 10 years ago and again no documentation on our side or theirs.

Most of that is supposedly going this year, big spend on IT infrastructure after over a decade of absolute minimal spending.

I’ve got some good stories already and I feel like I’m progressing quickly which is why I’ve stayed around, been verbally promised a title upgrade and pay uplift this year, if not I’ll start looking elsewhere, although I do like it here, good relationships with everyone etc. Would like to end up in a solutions architect role if I can longer term.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
Oh god yeah, my favourite is when you have a customer who screws you down to every detail of a contract, but then absolutely loses their s**t when they want something outside the contract for free and you say no.

Live by the sword and all that

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I am doing some work to migrate a site from openmage20.3 to Adobe Commerce opensource.

How did this product get through testing? There are a myriad of steps you need to take to get it operational, and even then there are some showstoppers.

There are 1.7k issues on their github : https://github.com/magento/magento2/issues
This is exactly how I felt trying to get my dad's Adobe Elements catalogue migrated from 2019 to 2024 on a new machine. Not one person at Adobe has actually clicked the 'Restore Catalogue' button because if they had they'd know it does jack s**t.

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Did a decent wee job this week.
Decom of a 2016 exchange, creation of a third 2019 DAG Node, 8 DAG dbs synced, creation of a Hybrid Server to O365, single certificate transport rules done. (Company is slowly adopting office365 ad such but its about 6 months away).
Reverse proxy and full exchange certificate woes, resolved 99% of them, just need to convince them to bin off reverse proxy going forward.
All resolved in a week. Busy busy.

andybond

ClioSport Club Member
Did a decent wee job this week.
Decom of a 2016 exchange, creation of a third 2019 DAG Node, 8 DAG dbs synced, creation of a Hybrid Server to O365, single certificate transport rules done. (Company is slowly adopting office365 ad such but its about 6 months away).
Reverse proxy and full exchange certificate woes, resolved 99% of them, just need to convince them to bin off reverse proxy going forward.
All resolved in a week. Busy busy.
What did you do Tuesday?

boultonn

ClioSport Club Member
  Macan S
I’ve spent most of this week doing the interns job running some nmap service discovery against our clients network.
That and some python to make sense of the xml output, thank f**k it’s the weekend.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
We had a company ‘wellness’ day today, so I took my son to the Zoo :)

Spent rest of the week starting to actually do my job since starting end of December.

.Joe

ClioSport Club Member
  Mini Clubman
Public cloud networking is fckin tragic.
Jus sayin.
Hope everyone is well.
Public cloud for 90% of business is tragic, data egress, we'll charge extra for that, cpu pinned at 100% because a junior made a bad config update, charge for that.
What with the state of Broadcom/VMware mess at the moment, moving back to on prem or at least private cloud may be the move over the coming years :ROFLMAO:

rctempire

ClioSport Moderator
Public cloud for 90% of business is tragic, data egress, we'll charge extra for that, cpu pinned at 100% because a junior made a bad config update, charge for that.
What with the state of Broadcom/VMware mess at the moment, moving back to on prem or at least private cloud may be the move over the coming years :ROFLMAO:
Cant believe broadcom have basically cut their cashcow and gone, nah we dont want the business. Other than top 500 companies. Who will move elsewhere because of this.