ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Qashcow
what he says ^^^

should be able to give it a good clean up with that all removed, the gearbox also. then we can whack it back into the car in an afternoon again :)

Good to see your still making progress mate :) Glad to hear your sorted with the job also! MK to TDF is nice and close ;) I drove from Matt's on Friday night that way and think it was only about 30 mins form leaving Matt's until I was at the MK junction of the M1!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
You can remove the alternator, top bracket, lower bracket, PAS pump... And that's about it.

what he says ^^^
should be able to give it a good clean up with that all removed, the gearbox also. then we can whack it back into the car in an afternoon again :)

leaving the belt loose then i guess?
will be working on it again tomorrow i think, gearbox is already removed remember.....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have spoken to ph-reebon off the forum.

(Don't want people to think i'm being rude! lol)

340i
You'll need to undo the rear alternator bolt, slide it out, undo the front alternator tensionser, remove side bolt, remove the tensioner, then the alternator can lift out.

Then it's just a case of removing the brackets, only a couple of bolts.

Sounds complicated but it's literally 10mins work.

340i
lol.... of course your not rude...
...looks like i may be loosing the power steering too then....

If you loose the PAS you will need to do something with the steering rack.

It will be a pig to steer at low speeds too, not that you'll be going slow in it ;)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Loosing the pas makes then engine bay look nicer and I like my car with out it. It's all personal preference tho, some people don't like it and some do. At the end of the day if you don't like it then you can then just fit an electric saxo system.

Mae you know there's pics in my thread if you need any visual help.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
If you loose the PAS you will need to do something with the steering rack.
It will be a pig to steer at low speeds too, not that you'll be going slow in it ;)

I do appreciate your concern for my well being but i need to buff up a bit more anyways, bye bye PAS,
I was talking it over with daniel and i will probably be fitting a loop system to the rack like crispy i think)

Loosing the pas makes then engine bay look nicer and I like my car with out it. It's all personal preference tho, some people don't like it and some do. At the end of the day if you don't like it then you can then just fit an electric saxo system.

I will going fishing for it, got a few hours lol

BMW Z4
Lose it you don't need it on a race car, trust me. Cut the pipe down and flare the end again on one side and you have your loop system, will post a pic of mine.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

Lose it you don't need it on a race car, trust me. Cut the pipe down and flare the end again on one side and you have your loop system, will post a pic of mine.

just found this, nice one chrispy...

Next thing to do was to get the piece of copper pipe flared to go onto the steering rack. So went round to my mates place and he flared the ends :)

So i now had the 4 orginal pipe nuts (not sure what they are called) filled with chemical metal, and the piece of pipe.

IMG_4802.jpg

IMG_4803.jpg

So i screwed the bolts into place to block off the holes

IMG_4806.jpg

And screwed in the pipe

IMG_4804.jpg

So it's gone from this

IMG_4674.jpg

To this

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4808.jpg

So i gave it a degrease and dryed it off

IMG_4809.jpg

And then sprayed it black

IMG_4810.jpg

do we think i can do this with the rack still on the car?

TrackCar & F30 330d
Ball ache Neil!

I would say it would be quicker to wipp the subframe off, remove the pipes do what you need to do and put everything back together.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE: managed to go out and do some more work on the engine today, first up was to remove the aux bits (as discussed), all stripped off pretty quickly and sorted as to what needs painting, whats disappearing and whats staying, my "TO PAINT" pile is growing

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

so then back to cleaning, i wasn't quite ready to attack the block or gearbox so i grabbed the exhaust manifold, i have no intention of polishing it up or anything but just wanted to tidy it up just a little bit, so an hour later, and a fair bit of sand paper.....

half done...
IMG_1468.jpg

and sorted
IMG_1470.jpg

so now i was ready to attack the gearbox, bloody hell did it take some time, went over it all round twice, got alot of it off, also stripped it down a bit more (ie. mounts and selector fork, these will also be painted too), pretty much ready for paint now though.... and only the block left too clean...

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

TrackCar & F30 330d
This thread is bringing back fond memories! The manifold has come up well. Do you not fancy ceramic coating the mani?

340i
Looking good Nelly.... We'll be dropping the engine back in soon ;)

Have you degreased the gearbox?

You can take off the white gearbox end cover / cap to paint as well, if you wanted.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
This thread is bringing back fond memories! The manifold has come up well. Do you not fancy ceramic coating the mani?

lol...how long does it bloody take?...lol
i mentioned wrapping or coating it in another thread, but was told it really isn't worth it as the temps these get up too won't cause any problems / therefore there are no benefits

Looking good Nelly.... We'll be dropping the engine back in soon ;)
Have you degreased the gearbox? You can take off the white gearbox end cover / cap to paint as well, if you wanted.

thats fully worked over with brake cleaner twice....
end cover was going to be painted also....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Boner, here is my engine with no A/C and no P/S.

3a603bad.jpg

I'm not down sams garage for a while so can't take a picture of his kit. (its different to mine)

Qashcow
Yayyyyy progress at last, even if it's slight. Fannymold looks much better, if you need one sent off for anything i have two spares here

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Yayyyyy progress at last, even if it's slight. Fannymold looks much better, if you need one sent off for anything i have two spares here

meh, there has been loads of progress..... it would all be finished next weekend if i didn't have a wedding to go to...lol

Boner, here is my engine with no A/C and no P/S.

3a603bad.jpg

I'm not down sams garage for a while so can't take a picture of his kit. (its different to mine)

i have noticed everyone seems to have a tiny (skinny) lower alternator bracket compared to me.....

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Hello
Could you say us the reference of this parts?
Thank You

if your after a part number mate i apologise i cannot help as i got the bracket from a scrap yard - renault laguna iirc

ordered some more air intake trumpets yesterday for the brake ducting, larger so they will sit alot better in the fog holes and also allow more air, obviously

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i visited the car today with a very small list of "to do jobs"

- strip the steering rack down, bend and flare the pipes and bung the other holes
- check fitment of my new air intakes in the foglight holes
- drill more holes on the interior
- chat over the project with my painter/sprayer friend and how it will progress as i am now moving away....

the morning started poorly when i got 5 mins away from the car and realised i had forgotten the air intakes, (job 2 out the window then)
i got to the car and immediately set about stripping down the steering rack, this was super easy as there is nowt else in the engine bay, within 20 mins its was fully stripped down.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

good times, so following on from crispys thread and Daniels advice i then set about making a loop system from one of the old pipes,

IMG_1477.jpg

however being a bodyshop my friend didn't have the tool to flare the pipe, i got on the phone to another friend about 10 mins away who thought he could help, it took a bit of work but sure enough i managed to get the pipe chopped and flared and made my way back to the car, along with a suction tank thingy that i would use to suck the rest of the PAS fluid out of the system.

IMG_1481.jpg

once back at the car, with the final lot of fluid sucked out, i made final measurements and bent the pipe to suit, i also put the other union bolts in the holes in question (this will need liquid metalling at a later date to seal the system), i am happy with my work and the neatness of the outcome, see below for before and after pictures.

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

before
IMG_1474.jpg

after
IMG_1480.jpg

This took me up to lunchtime, and time for a chat with my painter sprayer friend with regards to what to do about the project, and this is when i lost steam... a lot. Its not that he shot me down, or can't be bothered to do the work, tbh i think he is just trying to be a mate and advise, best off seeing this link for details - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?641774-my-ph1-TO-BUILD-or-BREAK&p=8696688#post8696688

with that i lost all steam and didn't feel like pushing on at all, so no holes where drilled, so my success rate today, well 50%, although that could be the last of it,
properly unsure what to do now and tbh its getting me down a bit.... opinions in here or on the other thread welcome

TrackCar & F30 330d
I totally for got you didnt have your engine in when you asked me about removing the PAS pipes with the rack still on.

Just to add a small spanner in the works. I filled the steering rack up with fresh PAS fluid and then put the link pipe on. Just so it had something to loob it up really.

Looks much better tho doesnt it! :)

You going to get rid of your ABS too?

Toyota MR2 GT Turbo
Stop being a pansy! Rattle can the lot! Its a track car not a show room masterpiece!

Forget about rust, you'll crash it before the rust becomes a problem! Just order a load of hamerite off ebay and get cracking, will cost you £150 tops including primer, lacquer and sand paper!

Exhaust, just get some sportex thing for £140 with a decat pipe.

Get an old windscreen from a scrappy when polish it!

Get it working, do a few track days, then decide to get a nice exhaust / proper paint job.

Last edited:
  Rb 182
Stop being a pansy! Rattle can the lot! Its a track car not a show room masterpiece!

Forget about rust, you'll crash it before the rust becomes a problem! Just order a load of hamerite off ebay and get cracking, will cost you £150 tops including primer, lacquer and sand paper!

Exhaust, just get some sportex thing for £140 with a decat pipe.

Get an old windscreen from a scrappy when polish it!

Get it working, do a few track days, then decide to get a nice exhaust / proper paint job.

What he said^^^^^

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I totally for got you didnt have your engine in when you asked me about removing the PAS pipes with the rack still on. Just to add a small spanner in the works. I filled the steering rack up with fresh PAS fluid and then put the link pipe on. Just so it had something to loob it up really.Looks much better tho doesnt it! :)

You going to get rid of your ABS too?

I am oretty sure Daniel advised to keep it empty? but as said when posting the pictures i need to metal-weld the open unions to seal thee system anyways, It does look loads better yeah, quite happy with it,as for the ABS i have not thought about that, go on......

What size swager did you use to the bottom of the doors?

pretty sure it was 50mm mate,

you've removed the PAS? MEGA FAIL

lol, you only post when i "do something wrong", it seems the PAS is a personal thing, some people like it some don't, hows my exhaust and airbox coming along?

BMW Z4
i visited the car today with a very small list of "to do jobs"

- strip the steering rack down, bend and flare the pipes and bung the other holes
- check fitment of my new air intakes in the foglight holes
- drill more holes on the interior
- chat over the project with my painter/sprayer friend and how it will progress as i am now moving away....

the morning started poorly when i got 5 mins away from the car and realised i had forgotten the air intakes, (job 2 out the window then)
i got to the car and immediately set about stripping down the steering rack, this was super easy as there is nowt else in the engine bay, within 20 mins its was fully stripped down.

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1476.jpg

good times, so following on from crispys thread and Daniels advice i then set about making a loop system from one of the old pipes,

IMG_1477.jpg

however being a bodyshop my friend didn't have the tool to flare the pipe, i got on the phone to another friend about 10 mins away who thought he could help, it took a bit of work but sure enough i managed to get the pipe chopped and flared and made my way back to the car, along with a suction tank thingy that i would use to suck the rest of the PAS fluid out of the system.

IMG_1481.jpg

once back at the car, with the final lot of fluid sucked out, i made final measurements and bent the pipe to suit, i also put the other union bolts in the holes in question (this will need liquid metalling at a later date to seal the system), i am happy with my work and the neatness of the outcome, see below for before and after pictures.

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1479.jpg

before
IMG_1474.jpg

after
IMG_1480.jpg

This took me up to lunchtime, and time for a chat with my painter sprayer friend with regards to what to do about the project, and this is when i lost steam... a lot. Its not that he shot me down, or can't be bothered to do the work, tbh i think he is just trying to be a mate and advise, best off seeing this link for details - http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?641774-my-ph1-TO-BUILD-or-BREAK&p=8696688#post8696688

with that i lost all steam and didn't feel like pushing on at all, so no holes where drilled, so my success rate today, well 50%, although that could be the last of it,
properly unsure what to do now and tbh its getting me down a bit.... opinions in here or on the other thread welcome

Looks nice and neat. I'm just refitting all mine with a saxo pump ;)

BMW Z4
No far from it, I did a 45 min race and it was fine. I just want to try it to see if it's better/easier in anyway. If not then it will come straight off again LOL. Car development is about making changes to see what YOU like.