ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member

some very nice bits in that link, bet thats some monies worth too, the main reason i would n't be ordering them, did you get them all made up custom?

Small update (no pictures)
Started the day with marking out my extra interior carbon panels, bootlid, false floor and fuel pump cover, the bootlid peice and the fuel pump cover are ready to be cut but i need to get a larger carbon sheet for the false floor...

I then set about sorting the bits for welding, marked out some sheet metal to size for each hole, got my nibbler out trimmed and then shaped each peice and then got a quick lesson in how to weld, sure to say i have much to learn, but it doesn't help the bulkhead seems to be made of foil....lol. I may be going back to work on it again tomorrow, so that will be a full day of welding.

I am really getting a sense of achievemnet with this build now, i wasn't expecting to do pretty much everything (ie welding) but now doing this also makes me feel i am really doing as much as possible on this build

Sounds good Neil :) I could imagine that I would be shocking at welding lol! Massive thumbs up from me for giving it all a try.

I know what you mean about sense of achievement although mine was on a much smaller scale when I have managed to do things to mine! I kind of wish I had done more on it myself but I would of failed massively lol! At this rate you should paint it yourself ;) As always if you ever need a spare pair of hands you know where I am (fairly useless hands though ;))

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Painting it myself is an option as its my mates bodyshop, would be under supervsion though, as for the welding i don't care how bad it looks initially, it will all be getting ground back before paint.... Its all good practice.

I really need to get the blue book printed off though to get an idea on rules and regs, and maybe join a club.... Although i may not be racing yet its best to know what you need to prep at this stage

That would be great experience if you got to help spray it :) Yes of course it is and i'm sure you'll pick it up quickly!

Drop me a PM with your address and I can put a 2011 copy of it in the post if you want? From reading both I couldn't really tell any differences :) I can send you my 2012 one but will need it back early May so let me know if that will help! Yes exactly you don't want to have to re-do things at a later stage best to get it done to the reg's from the start

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE: well kind of,
I visited the car again today with the thought of welding all the plates in the bulk head.....

but now i am home... and a little grumpy. I did start to weld this morning but it soon became apparent that i was massively struggling. I have been re-assured by several people that i am not a complete r****d and infact the tin foil type nature of the clio shell is quite hard to weld, especially for a first time... but this doesn't make me feel any better about getting pretty much f*ck all done today.... meh

and to top it off i have left my ipod at the workshop over 20miles away....ffsnake

Drop me a PM with your address and I can put a 2011 copy of it in the post if you want? From reading both I couldn't really tell any differences :) I can send you my 2012 one but will need it back early May so let me know if that will help! Yes exactly you don't want to have to re-do things at a later stage best to get it done to the reg's from the start

thats alright mate, i will get the new one downloaded now....cheers though
http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentviewarticle.asp?article=1122

lmfao, what are you trying to weld?? i`m assuming blanking plates on the front bulkhead area (Matt got me to do a few on james car)...

what welder are you using?? if its a "no gas" mig setup, then just thrown it and anything welded with it in the skip....

if its a "proper" mig unit with a argon/co2 mig bottle you`ll get on better.. did you practice on some scraps first to get current/wire speed/gasflow somewhere close???

any pics?? not for our amusement (well, maybe a little) but its a lot easier to give pointers when you can see whats going wrong...

^^^

as mentioned a "proper" gas is better than pure co2 (sometimes known as pub gas).. pure co2 does weld a bit cooler than mixed but doesn`t leave the welds as clean...

wiresize you should be on 0.6mm for what your doing...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
lmfao, what are you trying to weld?? i`m assuming blanking plates on the front bulkhead area (Matt got me to do a few on james car)...
what welder are you using?? if its a "no gas" mig setup, then just thrown it and anything welded with it in the skip....

if its a "proper" mig unit with a argon/co2 mig bottle you`ll get on better.. did you practice on some scraps first to get current/wire speed/gasflow somewhere close???
any pics?? not for our amusement (well, maybe a little) but its a lot easier to give pointers when you can see whats going wrong...

yep blanking plates for the front bulkhead, the welder is a "proper" mig unit, i didn't get any practice on anything first and that may be a big problem, saturday i was doing alright on the right side blank plate but on the left side today it was a proper pain and ended up a mess... just started blowing holes or pigeon sh*tting it in.... at that point i knew it was best to stop....

...i did get pictures (as i always do), but soon deleted them as i thought there is no point putting pictures up of sh*t, its not a pride thing (otherwise i wouldn't of aired my uselessness), i just didn't see the point...lol

Evo 5 RS
Painting it myself is an option as its my mates bodyshop, would be under supervsion though, as for the welding i don't care how bad it looks initially, it will all be getting ground back before paint.... Its all good practice.

I really need to get the blue book printed off though to get an idea on rules and regs, and maybe join a club.... Although i may not be racing yet its best to know what you need to prep at this stage

Go for it mate, I did my roof and doors and some of the prep, it's great experience. In fact maybe just stick to that lol. Fair play for jumping in on welding

182 trackday racer
some very nice bits in that link, bet thats some monies worth too, the main reason i would n't be ordering them, did you get them all made up custom?

Yes they are very nice, race stuff but still good finish and quality. Not custom made for my car. Full carbon/kevlar hood with cell core = stiff, less than 2,8kg and 400Euros. One door = 450Euros 3,4kg each including kevlar reinforcements and the lot. Thats a bargain really

Audi A6 & 172 Cup
Yes they are very nice, race stuff but still good finish and quality. Not custom made for my car. Full carbon/kevlar hood with cell core = stiff, less than 2,8kg and 400Euros. One door = 450Euros 3,4kg each including kevlar reinforcements and the lot. Thats a bargain really

Who is it that makes these? do you have contact details for them?
I wasn't planning to go with composite panels but at that money I might think about it, as long as the delivered price inc taxes is still reasonable.

182 trackday racer
Who is it that makes these? do you have contact details for them?
I wasn't planning to go with composite panels but at that money I might think about it, as long as the delivered price inc taxes is still reasonable.

Yes I can sort some contact info, just send me a PM with your contact info and Ill pass it on. Parts are made in Poland and distributed through my contact in Sweden = no customs since its within EU.

Also take a look at some of the other items he has made like for the Coupra Supercopa you will see he knows what he's doing. Have bought doorcards there my self and they look great. Very light to, you can actually see through them holding them up to the sun.
2012-01-26-20-28-57_p1070585.jpg

Supercopa: http://s430.photobucket.com/albums/qq22/team_hink_racing/Carbon delar/Seat Leon Supercopa/

Last edited:
  Evo 5 RS
Isn't that what you did with that carbon air duct? LOL ;) Be good if you can pop along to Wales mate, I'll be there in mine hopefully if I can get the time off

182 trackday racer
do you have an idea on the diffuser cost? i would be reluctant to put a load of money into something only to chop it up to make it fit...

If you take a look below the pictures on PB it states prices. 700Euros for the diffusor but it huuuge, bet its at least 1,5meters long

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
so not updated this for a fair while, not been down and worked on the car for approx 2-3 weeks but there isn't loads i can do,
I need to sort something's such as collecting my exhaust so i can work out the rear bumper cutting and at that point also look into diffusers etc...

...however my mind has been a little distracted.
it looks like i am moving again, (this will be the second relocation since the start of the overhaul) this week i handed in my notice and afterwards i will be heading to a new position based just outside Milton Keynes, myself and my partner have some idea how we plan to attack the situation with regards to moving etc but i am unsure how things will pan out with the build....

the good thing hopefully though will be that i once moved however i am only approx 1 hour from both BTM and TDF , no more than 3o mins from silverstone and bedford and right in the heart of motorsport country, thats the bit i am looking forward to, just got to find some time / money...insert..other..additives..here... to complete the project

340i
You forgot to mention you are only 1hr 15mins away from Gray Motorsport too....

Again, congrats on the up coming move... Awesome news on the new job, prospects etc.

TrackCar & F30 330d
Everything happens for a reason so good luck in the new job and new place.

My services will be available if wanted from September - November then i'm abroad again!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Everything happens for a reason so good luck in the new job and new place.
My services  will be available if wanted from September - November then i'm abroad again!

Cheers mate, unsure on how work on the car will pan out with the move, going to canada etc etc.... Ideally i want it in paint, then rebuilt, interior, shell and engine bay then move it up to milton keynes so its not far to take it up to TDF for the loom, re-cal and re-map etc... But we will see how 2012 pans out,

Appreciate the offer though, we will get together when your back

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
All the best with the move fella, be good to see the car getting to completion.

thank you, may be one step closer after potentially finding a room up there, with regards to the car i am unsure how long it will be, £££ is the main problem as ever...

I demand more details on 'the move'

call me then...lol

UPDATE: So another weekend where i have not been down to work on the car, although there is not loads for me to do i feel i should still be going down, this is only enforced by the fact that my weekends (or any time infact) will soon be massively limited because of work / the move.

Instead i spent yesterday down at Wiscombe, Devon at there hillclimb event, extremely good day even though it was wet, some very impressive driving, impressive machinery and some just crazy things....
and today i spent more time out in the garage working on the engine, the clean-up / overhaul is coming along well and as you can see my fully cleaned parts bin is stacking up,

IMG_1459.jpg

everything from the fuel rail, to samco hoses, brake lines, spark plugs, most fluid bottles etc etc etc are in there all fully cleaned and ready to go once the car is done, you can also see the first piece of the last ever yozzasport exhaust stuck in behind it.... nom nom nom,

IMG_1463.jpg

and my custom radiator and the bottom piece to my custom airbox (these both still need a bit of a clean)

IMG_1464.jpg

I have another pile for the pieces i have removed that will be getting painted up separately, gearbox mounts, engine mounts etc etc. I am not totally sure on my colour scheme yet but they all need painting anyways.
Which leaves the block and gearbox, i removed the exhaust manifold today which will get a bit of a clean up but then its just the block and box to clean, again i will be treating the block to a good fresh coat of paint and again i am unsure on the colour scheme,

IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1461.jpg

IMG_1460.jpg

however can anybody tell me how much more i can take the block down without having to re-time stuff etc etc?
so not a totally wasted day really, more little jobs will have to be found like this over the next few months to slowly keep this project moving in the right direction.

After some worries i gave my painter sprayer mate a call today also so we could possibly work out some kind of action plan, i think we are going to head to the pub this week to go over it,

i think he is keen to get it moving and with me moving away i think he understands the sooner he can sort stuff his end the better. However i also have concerns with regards to painting it now too. I really want to paint the car however i am worried about the costs, what with going to canada and now having to look into moving houses / jobs again i think everything could add up.... we will see what happens

all comments welcome, especially any on stripping the block more