ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The everlasting ph1 ITB Build **GREEN-BUILD STARTS AT PAGE 100**

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
Another dirty day on the car, but it feels like it is moving along fairly well now. I spent saturday morning stripping the rest of the passenger side arches, this wasn't too bad and makes it feel well on its way. However this left me in the situation of needing to flip the car over. Luckily a mate was on hand to help me do this (after driving 3hrs up from Somerset).

A fair bit of stuff had to be moved before the car could move, but with all that the 2 of us turned it from one side to the other
IMG_4808_zpspbejmthq.jpg

IMG_4809_zpseg66oqyu.jpg

You can clearly see how much has been stripped now and it means only the 2 drivers side arches to do now and then the car can sit back on axle stands and some fabrication work can start.
So the real reason for my mate to "pop-up" was to collect the Image Wheels. I got them out, gave them a quick wipe down for him to take on. Now after having them custom made fitment for the clio they where purchased as a calculated guess on fitment to his race Civic... Its a shame to see them go, but I think it was the right time to sale - and it means i can now purchase the cage. BYE BYE wheels

IMG_4806_zpshzocqkhw.jpg

A day later and i get a whatsapp saying that they fit perfectly. I then get a load of pictures through and IMO they look awesome on the car, see for yourself...

IMG_4812_zpsy1nrk498.jpg

IMG_4815_zpsylbhin5b.jpg

IMG_4813_zps7wmnwobl.jpg

IMG_4814_zpswmrmey2b.jpg

IMG_4816_zpsbyhdasy7.jpg

Hopefully the old NEW rubber will be ok, going to watch him compete on bank holiday monday. Until then I have a couple more weekends to sort the arches before i get married.. that is the target anyways.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE:
Just the front drivers side turret to do now before the car can go back down on axle stands and the cage can go in.
Somehow managed to break/snap the fuel filler bracket/hinge whilst removing it... oh and almost cut myself in half with the wire wheel on my grinder...yesterday was a good day

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Uh hate grinder/drill based injuries or near misses - I always fully suit up now after one to many close calls!

Remember following this in Fast Car mag I think? Didnt it have a yellow cage?

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Uh hate grinder/drill based injuries or near misses - I always fully suit up now after one to many close calls!
Remember following this in Fast Car mag I think? Didnt it have a yellow cage?

It was pretty scary and the first point whilst working on it with that tool, that its happened. But i was suited up with a thick hoody - that took the brunt, very lucky. I paused for a bit, then continued on. Yeah you would of followed it in fastcar, and yep it had a yellow cage, I sold that as it was bolt in and quite heavy, a much lighter weld in is going in shortly

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Started researching cages (well started a long time ago) but close to purchasing now. It looks like it is going to be the Oreca Race cage, http://www.oreca-store.eu/turn-one-multi-point-weld-in-roll-cage-for-renault-clio-ii-1998-2005.html It seems to have a really good fit and seems to come in at a good price range. Probably will make some additions to it, harness bars and dash bars, unsure on gussets to pillars and whether this will help that much or just add more weight, pretty excited to be at this point though. Think i may purcahse a second hand welder also for the job, then whilst my neighbour helps me with this i can try to learn to weld also.

Also spotted this on facebook the other week, the diffuser is interesting don't you think @Tony Hunter
10827984_1627975864142654_140789727583831003_o_zpsnqvqotd2.jpg

330i. E30 Touring.
What a guy using custom wheels on a racecar. What happens if someone takes his too sharp a line on the first corner? lol

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
What a guy using custom wheels on a racecar. What happens if someone takes his too sharp a line on the first corner? lol

mmeeeooowwww.
He is not doing it to be different, he is doing it to get more grip the best way he can (whilst under the tyre restrictions of his championship). bigger width gives more footprint (i can go into the reasons far more if you like). Also do you know the origin of Image and the billet wheels? - these are a motorsport focused wheel so are light and strong - also the fact they are 3 piece means parts can be replaced should they get damaged.

Sure it won't be as easy as just buying a new wheel and replacing it, but getting more grip and using a legal tyre is his main focus.

330i. E30 Touring.
mmeeeooowwww.
He is not doing it to be different, he is doing it to get more grip the best way he can (whilst under the tyre restrictions of his championship). bigger width gives more footprint (i can go into the reasons far more if you like). Also do you know the origin of Image and the billet wheels? - these are a motorsport focused wheel so are light and strong - also the fact they are 3 piece means parts can be replaced should they get damaged.

Sure it won't be as easy as just buying a new wheel and replacing it, but getting more grip and using a legal tyre is his main focus.

Lol, i'm not being bitchy, just seems a strange choice. Someone taps him first corner of race 1, could end his weekend?

Each to their own.. They look quality.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Lol, i'm not being bitchy, just seems a strange choice. Someone taps him first corner of race 1, could end his weekend? Each to their own.. They look quality.

he carries a spare set of rays (with wet tyres on) so could always change to them.
In the series he is running in he is struggling to find a quality tyre and stock of AD08's are extremely low. He is also struggling for grip, after researching civic's racing in japan he found they were running wider wheels up front to get the grip and smaller out back (they basically just drage the rear ends around) so he started to look at wider/bigger wheels.... just so happens that i had the image wheels (wider and bigger than his rays) sat there doing nothing with brand new (old) AD08's on...

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Someone taps him first corner of race 1, could end his weekend?

So interestingly I went and watched my mate at combe last weekend, and decent contact was made with his front corner/wheel... its taken the powdercoat of the rim, but otherwise all good.

UPDATE: So I wanted to get the car back down on axle stands before my wedding, and sure enough managed it this weekend. First of all i had to finish stripping the underseal/seam sealer off, the last place was the front drivers arch.

IMG_4879_zpsx62ienkh.jpg

This was done pretty quickly and the next thing was to move all the other stuff stored in the garage out of the way so i could drop the car back the right way without damaging anything. This was a bit more of a ballache but got there in the end, and then managed to lift it off the mattresses and onto the axle stands.

With it now sat in the position it was going to stay in for a while i wanted to get the garage a bit straighter again so everything got stacked inside the car up off the floor. The only thing left in the way was the 3 mattresses. I wanted to keep these so i could flip it back over the paint the underside, but have decided against flipping it again, it just isn't fun. I also don't think welding a cage, 3 mattresses and a wooden garage really go well together, so, they got loaded up and taken to the tip.

IMG_4882_zpspp0hwbir.jpg

IMG_4884_zpsz4uylwdu.jpg

And that is how the garage now sits, nice and spacious again. All the stuff will come back out the car now a good clean up has happened. The cage will be ordered this week and soon a dry fit of the majority of items will happen to, to scope any more fabrication. Pretty happy to have got to this point.

IMG_4885_zps0y8raleg.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE: With another day on the car and it now sat the right way up more stripping could happen, this time the engine bay and front outer wheel arches. A relatively quick job but there is loads of little nooks and crannies.

IMG_4895_zpssz2zx0am.jpg

I then spent the rest of the time organising the garage. With the stripping across the car almost done its time for fabrication so all the stuff that was stored in the car now had to come out, be put somewhere that was not in the way, this was all stacked in the back of the garage leaving the car pretty much clear for the cage to start going in (awaiting contact from Oreca on this). Pretty excited to get going on that. Also pretty happy with my new banner.

IMG_4891_zpsnk9a80k3.jpg

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Like this a lot. Wish I had the time, space, patience and ability to do this kind of restoration work to mine!
Also banner looks good in the garage :up:

if you have gone through the thread you will have seen its been difficult getting to this point, just basically not giving up.
As for the ability to do the work - there is nothing to it really - just patience

RS RIP
Ahhh how did i nearly miss a good brake debate... lol

If you remove the compensator valve youll need something else, as a bias valve (ap racing) didnt reduce the braking effort enough.

I use 2 x inline Ford pressure reducing valves, along with a bias valve, now works perfectly at long last.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

..we told you it would work! With a little help from a bias-valve ;-)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
FINAL UPDATE OF 2016:

2017 has to be the year that this gets completed, I have good people around me, somewhere to work on the car and only one way to go with the build - forward (the car couldn't be any less like a car currently).

I have now finished stripping the car back having now gone through the interior removing the last little bits of sound deadening and seam sealer. This now beens its been fully worked over - exterior, engine bay and interior. It was a bit of a job but oh well.. now its done and its not really cost me anything.

IMG_5143_zpstfcmflme.jpg

IMG_5144_zpscfxidypb.jpg

The interior does need some work with little holes, some messy areas needing attention and the cage being put in, but this will be attached in the new year. For now i am happy that i potentially don't need to use the wire wheel that much more...

IMG_5139_zpsfwg1m3vo.jpg

IMG_5138_zpsrrkddlvg.jpg

For now though the car has been covered over, I need to build a work top and storage in the garage so this will be early 2017, then onwards and getting this sh*t sorted.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE: all be it not directly on the car.
A little while back i managed to pick up some free insulation, so on the coldest weekend thus far in 2017 i thought it may be a good time to insulate and then in-turn clad the garage. This will tidy everything up and provide a shed load more light (once painted).

First up moving everything into the centre of the garage so i could freely get to all the walls.
IMG_5509_zps4xrk3ykh.jpg

Insulation going in and then cladding with plasterboard.
IMG_5510_zpslfvoc6ys.jpg

IMG_5511_zps5qrg4o42.jpg

IMG_5512_zpspju5grok.jpg

IMG_5514_zpsqrhvrknr.jpg

IMG_5515_zps6ijmq4sr.jpg

FullSizeRender_zpsbenrbntr.jpg

IMG_5519_zpsoslftwkx.jpg

and then adding some wooden cladding (read reclaimed bed slats) to the top rear of the garage, this will also have a work bench in-front of it, and shelving, and bikes
IMG_5520_zpszcyivsk0.jpg

Pretty happy with it so far, even with only 1 side painted it is a lot brighter, and it is definitely a lot warmer but there still a bit to do.
I want to tidy the plugs up (currently sat behind the plasterboard), put in a floating shelf at the base of the wooden cladding, paint all the plasterboard and then build a workbench (out of reclaimed wooden bed frame)... hopefully that lot won't take another full weekend.

Then i should be back to working on the car.
I now have an engine stand so the engine will be getting sorted sharpish and am set to purchase the cage.
2017 is the year it will be done

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I was sorting out my garage yesterday, including all of my old car magazines, found an issue of Fast Car from 2009 with the Clio in it, you had just fitted some speakers!

This car has been around as long as I have been driving, get it finished mate!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I was supposed to be working today but ended up spending the whole afternoon going through this lol. Glad to see you have stuck with it long projects can become disheartening.

Good luck for 2017.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
I was supposed to be working today but ended up spending the whole afternoon going through this lol. Glad to see you have stuck with it long projects can become disheartening. Good luck for 2017.

Apologies for losing you a day of work chap. ha.
I went through the disheartening stage for sure, life massively got in the way of building this, but it needed too, cars are only metal. I still wonder if i have done the right thing continuing with it... who knows... its only money i suppose.

Why did you cut the holes that big on the plasterboard?
Surely you could've mounted switches onto the plasterboard itself.

Quality progress so far by the way! I envy that garage, especially as I pay to have a garage every month :tired:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
Why did you cut the holes that big on the plasterboard?
Surely you could've mounted switches onto the plasterboard itself.
Quality progress so far by the way! I envy that garage, especially as I pay to have a garage every month :tired:

The sockets were already mounted up to the garage frame and all the wiring is run, I should of potentially done that. But i am going to bring the sockets through and am then giving them a wooden trim too. should look ok and solve the issue - first time plaster boarding i'll take that 1 mistake ha

as for the garage - yeah so stoked to have somewhere to work, I have waited long enough for it hence the build taking so long

Peugeot 308
Crazy to think you still have this.
I remember having the black Ph1 at the time (The first time) and you had black OZ F1's with yellow? rim tape fitted... I was looking to steal your idea 😂😂

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
UPDATE: again to the garage rather than the car... but as soon as this is done the car will be started again (as and when freelance funds allow)

BEFORE
IMG_5509_zpsnyscw6ms.jpg

IMG_5553_zpslfvg7l5c.jpg

AFTER

Little more left to do like finishing my desk/cabinet, hang the bikes and tools then all good

Clio k4j - Clio 200T
Quite better now! Has lost the "work in progress look".

Is that a fox fork on the mtb?