ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE to turning off airbag lights (with pictures) no resisters needed

Clio 172
So as some of you know I have been trying to get my airbag light amd service light off for some time. I have been told to use tape over the bulb (which involves taking the dash top off and dismantling the clocks), use resisters to disable them (a bugger to source them) and loads of other solutions and ideas.

So I had looked at removing the aibag ecu but was advised against it as this wouldn't solve the problem...more on that later.

Step 1, remove plastic center console, 3 hex screws to undo, one either side of the gearstick end and one underneath the ashtray. Disconnect all plugs:- Hazard switch, cigarette lighter and locking switch, push led for alarm through console. Pictured here with trim removed and all plugs disconnected.

IMAG1026.jpg

Step 2, This will involve some cuts to the carpet and foam surrounding the gear stick and airbag ecu which is located infront of the gearbox tower, (picture below is reverse angle)

IMAG1028.jpg ECU is the shiny thing, plug you are looking for under the orange cover.

Step 3, Unclip large clip on the cover and slide to the side (picture shows clip open)
IMAG1030.jpg

Step 4, Remove plug pull either side of orange clip and the pug will come out. (picture again reverse angle plug will be on the right of the airbag ecu).

IMAG1031.jpg

Step 5, Remove grey end plate from orange cover (can be seen top of the orange cover in above picture). Then slide orange cover off the plug.

IMAG1034.jpg

Step 6, Locate wire number 7 (see picture for numbering on the plug) and cut/remove the wire.

IMAG1036.jpgIMAG1035.jpg

Step 7, reassemble everything, turn ignition key and note no warning lights.

Clio 172
Re: THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE to turning off airbag lights (with pictures) no resisters ne

Just to add to the above, the cuts made to the carpet and foam cannot be seen once the center console is replaced.

Mods any chance this could be stickied?

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Re: THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE to turning off airbag lights (with pictures) no resisters ne

Does this turn off the output to the dash lights ? if so will it pass an mot ?

A3 2.0TFSI QUATTRO

Does that disable airbags all together or cut out the warning light ??

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster

Looks a bit dodge to me.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean

Looks dodgy to me. Does the light come on when you turn the ignition then go out after second or so?

Can't you just wire the light up so it comes on when a different light comes on? Like the abs light?

welshname

ClioSport Club Member

Will fail MOT as the lights have to be shown to sequence correctly.

That's if and when it actually comes in.

Clio 172

Will fail MOT as the lights have to be shown to sequence correctly.

That's if and when it actually comes in.

I have no airbags in my car, the light wont come on as there is nothing there. This is not mean't for someone with an aftermarket wheel, this is mean't for someone with no airbags left in their car so the car would be MOT'd as a track car. I work for a dealership and I have already checked where I stand with this and it's all good.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

So this won't extinguish the light if I've removed the airbag ecu?

Clio 172

You can't clip a wire going to an ecu if the ecu is no longer there lol

172 cup
I don't know why people go to so much trouble. Just go to someone with a clip or with the RsTuner with the airbag add on and slip them some beer tokens . . .

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
I don't know why people go to so much trouble. Just go to someone with a clip or with the RsTuner with the airbag add on and slip them some beer tokens . . .

Because if this works ok it's only 1 wire to cut. It's in fact less trouble

It would also be rather silly to do since there is no way to test if the airbags are now working or not without crashing?

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
It would also be rather silly to do since there is no way to test if the airbags are now working or not without crashing?

Airbags have been removed from my car, wouldn't consider it otherwise

Zeke

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio172 (182 Engine)

Anyone who has an idea how to fake the airbaglight in purpose to pass the MOT? In Sweden they check the light sequens.

RenaultSport 172

I will give this a try! Thanks for the guide. Tried using resistors on my phase 1 and just could not get the lights off even though I've successfully done it twice on ph2s. I have no airbags left so there can be no problem

172 cup RS2 - 330ci
My cup has different wires to what you have. So I'm going to have to use clip just incase

Lionel Richie

my airbag light is wired to the oil pressure light lol, so when you turn the car on it lights up but then goes out (no airbags anywhere)

Bmw e92 335d

You could simulate airbag light coming on. Just piggy back the dash bulb wiring to your oil pressure light. Aslong as youve got good oil pressure the light will come on with ignition and go off with engine running.

Bmw e92 335d

Ha got beat to that post by the above. Bugger!!!!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159

How do you go about disabling the fault permanently with the Renault Clip tool?

Lionel Richie

not 100% sure you can, maybe tell it its an utter basic 1.2 with naff all?

Zeke

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio172 (182 Engine)

Yes turn off with RS tuner or Renault clip the light sequence still works
Thanks for reply, what Clip are we talking about? If you could provide a link it would be nice.

not 100% sure you can, maybe tell it its an utter basic 1.2 with naff all?

You can. You need to go into the airbag ecu and tell it what equipment you have removed. I've done a few recently including mine and Lesley's.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

You can. You need to go into the airbag ecu and tell it what equipment you have removed. I've done a few recently including mine and Lesley's.
Can you do this for side impact sensors etc Dan?

Could this also be done if removing ABS?

^^ No

I had my airbag ecu reprogrammed by clip/rstuner to say there was no airbags in the car - worked a treat. But as soon as you remove the side impact sensors the light comes back on. So it's no good if you want to strip the car fully

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

^^ No

I had my airbag ecu reprogrammed by clip/rstuner to say there was no airbags in the car - worked a treat. But as soon as you remove the side impact sensors the light comes back on. So it's no good if you want to strip the car fully
That's where I'm at Phil. Already used RSTuner which worked a treat.

I've parred down the rear loom, trimmed down the door looms to just central locking motors. I've had to splice the airbag on/off lock from the passenger door into the main loom to keep the light off but now I'm thinking **** it and hook the dash lights to the oil pressure light.

What did you do in the end?

Took the front of the dials - bit of black tape over the light - bobs your uncle
Same with the engine management lights too as my omex lit the dash up like a christmas tree lol

Not had a problem with the MOT to be honest - but the car is quite clearly a track car so I think they're a bit lenient with me

Clio DCI 1.5

The oil light trick is no good because it doesn't fool the sequence. Mot tester worth his salt will wait for the light to run through it's function test and turn out before starting the engine. If you want to fool the light system, there are two existing tricks: either use a glow plug relay from most old diesels to give the + for the lights you can take the feed from the glow plug pre heat light circuit or from the glow plug circuit doesn't really matter or you can use an interior light switch off delay relay. This would be a total override bodge though and not to be recommended if you still hope the bags might work. If the OP is right in that pin seven is the feed to the airbag light then that would be where I would put the + feed from the glow plug relay. Word of strongest possible caution though! REMOVE BATTERY FOR AT LEAST 30 MINS before attempting then make sure the car is abandoned when you reconnect just in case. If you've removed all the airbags and the ECU this shouldn't be an issue. (Just in case you think this post is at odds with my other post; I don't want to bodge my Sons car, I want to repair it) :rasp:

Last edited:

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member

Or you could just use resistors and nkt destroy the wires in your car? Seems like such pointless pikey way of doing things doing it this way.

That's where I'm at Phil. Already used RSTuner which worked a treat.

I've parred down the rear loom, trimmed down the door looms to just central locking motors. I've had to splice the airbag on/off lock from the passenger door into the main loom to keep the light off but now I'm thinking **** it and hook the dash lights to the oil pressure light.

What did you do in the end?

I expect you could get rid of the impact sensors. All you need to do is tell your ecu you don't have them anymore.

I suspect you could program the UCH to tell it there is no ABS, but I've not gone that far into programming mine yet...

220 Trophy

To cut a long story short I've just replaced my whole dashboard loom and now need to turn the Airbag & SERV lights off but cant remember how I did it with the old loom. I don’t have any airbags or the airbag ECU. I'm sure there was a way fool the system by cutting a wire or grounding a wire but like I say I cant remember?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car

To cut a long story short I've just replaced my whole dashboard loom and now need to turn the Airbag & SERV lights off but cant remember how I did it with the old loom. I don’t have any airbags or the airbag ECU. I'm sure there was a way fool the system by cutting a wire or grounding a wire but like I say I cant remember?? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
I'd love to know this!