ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The cheapest 200bhp per ton route

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why you cut away your entire car to gain 1000th off a second on a traffic light GP?

53 Clio's & counting
removing the following out of my MK1 Clio;

rear seats
parcel shelf
spare wheel
carpet

reduced my 1/4 mile time from 14.4 @ 98 mph to 14.0 @ 102 so to some people thats a worth while gain.

There are gains to be made on aerodynamics too. Its an overlooked area and you can gain good fuel economy / higher end performance by doing some basic mods to the shell on the outside to smooth air flow.

One of the ways the newer cars are better than the older ones is that airflow under and around the front of the car is actually taken into consideration because it does make a difference.

OLR

Ph1 172 and Red 197
There are gains to be made on aerodynamics too. Its an overlooked area and you can gain good fuel economy / higher end performance by doing some basic mods to the shell on the outside to smooth air flow.

One of the ways the newer cars are better than the older ones is that airflow under and around the front of the car is actually taken into consideration because it does make a difference.

Also rounder smoother car are better when running people over. lol;)

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00

Will a splitter help?

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
The cheapest way is just to pretend you have more power than you do......no one will know.

Z4
Do people really start chopping up the body structure just to save a few ounces and claim the magic numbers?

This man has a point.

There's so many draw backs to stripping your car out...I can't see the point most of the time unless it's a track car, in which case it's vital.

It will rattle like hell, can effect the weight distribution, safety, road noise, comfort, aesthetics, resale value, etc.

If the plod pull you for speeding, talk to you, you can hardly play the innocent 'i wont do it again' card when they see you've race pred'd your hatchback...

I'm all for power to weight ratio, but there is such a thing as idiotic obsession! Weight loss in wheels/brakes/suspension etc makes more difference anyway..

E90
removing the following out of my MK1 Clio;

rear seats
parcel shelf
spare wheel
carpet

reduced my 1/4 mile time from 14.4 @ 98 mph to 14.0 @ 102 so to some people thats a worth while gain.

to this man possibly

vin-diesel-in-universal-pictures-fast-furious-2009.jpg

clio sport 172
So this must be cheapish..:D and still retains a road going look.
remove:-
aerial
ICE
sound deadening in (engine bay,doors,floors,boot area,etc..)
rear wiper
lighter and smaller alloys
aluminium wheel nuts
spare wheel and tool kit,
keep washer 1/4 full
cat. converter

B/G 182 + PH1 Track
Why you would run poly carb windows on the road i have no idea.

As for saving weight, the rear screen is alot lighter, so to are the front windows. The side windows arnt much lighter but they are lighter.

lift number 1 @ btm
i'm not sure yet to be honest, i've actually been thinking about having a go at hillclimbing.

but i thnk the waiting about would be too frustrating.

I think the biggest improvement from taking 100 kg off a car is in braking performance, not engine performance.

I noticed that on my old ren 5, when it was very light, even lifting off the throttle slowed it down very quick, which was no doubt a combination of light weight and poor aerodynamics.

In fact it was quite easy to drive on the road and not use the brake, lifting off at most junctions (with gear changes) took off enough speed to drive normally like this.

Yes do it. If people can ride motorbikes to work every day, even in winter, you can drive a stripped out car.

And 100kg off a car makes a fairly noticable differance to braking distance, acceleration and fuel consumption.

182cup & 172 racecar
i'm not sure yet to be honest, i've actually been thinking about having a go at hillclimbing.

but i thnk the waiting about would be too frustrating.

Yes it is.This is what Jay wanted to do to start with but I talked him out of it.

We used to do two hillclimbs a year in Hungary as part of our series and man it's boring,Even with the practice runs and then the two timed runs we sat around for ever waiting for your turn:sleepy:
Not for me I'm afraid.(good Red Bull wet tee shirt comps in the evening though:D)

lift number 1 @ btm
that's what i thought Tony, especially after the kemble day where we were waiting bloody ages between runs!

i was originally looking at the polycarbonate windows, but saw people with them thinking they were no lighter.
if i'm only going to be tracking the car i can go for the 3's and save even more. :cool:

to be honest, i'm actually looking forward to doing some work on the car myself!

*edit* hungarian wet t shirt competitions? pics?...