ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Apple Watch Thread

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I stopped wearing a watch a couple of years ago as all it did was tell the time and I had my phone for that.

This is the return of the watch, times have moved on, the ability to have lots of functionally on my wrist rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket is going to mean this is likely to be a winner for me.

And im a watch person, but I only wear them for special occasions now.

Agree with the first bit for sure.

The only reason I wouldn't buy one is cost. My girlfriend wants one when they come out.

Lols at some of the negative comments. Get a life springs to mind.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It's ugly as hell, and I really can't get passed that. I'm sure in 2-3 years when they've refined it a bit i.e. made it circular and thinner I'll get one... but I am disappointed as I was prepared to make a purchase on this.

The Moto 360 absolutely destroys this in terms of looks, and I honestly believed 24 hours ago I would never be saying that. I'm an iOS guy through and through but have you seen some of the watch faces people have already made for the Moto 360?

The GoldenEye one looks absolutely sick! The 'armour' cells go down with the battery life :cool:

goldeneye-007-moto-360.jpg

PS: I know this isn't the 'best' looking, but it's just cool, alright?

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
As said, compared to some of the gaudy monstrosities in the watch thread, the Apple Watch is positively understated.

I don't think it's for me though.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
That's one face out of hundreds available, you really think this thing looks worse than the Apple Watch? I think it looks brilliant for a smart watch...

moto-360-metal-band_zps22d475fd.jpg

BMW M4; S1000 RR
A friend of mine received a Moto360 today, I love the look of it but I still love iPhones and it wouldn't make much sense to just get it for the watch side of things.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
I stopped wearing a watch a couple of years ago as all it did was tell the time and I had my phone for that.

This is the return of the watch, times have moved on, the ability to have lots of functionally on my wrist rather than having to get my phone out of my pocket is going to mean this is likely to be a winner for me.

And im a watch person, but I only wear them for special occasions now.

LMAO!! Biggest contradiction in the same post ever??

'I stopped wearing a watch years ago because all it did was tell the time and i had a phone for that'

'And im a watch person'

No, a watch person wears a watch every day no matter what.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm not sure I completely agree with that... you could (vaguely) say I'm a watch person as I own a nice one, but I only wear it at weekends.

Like, I don't drive my car every day, but does that mean I'm not a car person?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm not sure I completely agree with that... you could (vaguely) say I'm a watch person as I own a nice one, but I only wear it at weekends.

Like, I don't drive my car every day, but does that mean I'm not a car person?
A car kind of gets in the way of eating dinner, being at work, watching TV etc. A watch doesn't. Pointless comparison is pointless.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Trust me. I'm a watch person and if I go out of the house without one on it the same feeling as leaving your phone at home.

Anyone can buy a Rolex. It doesn't make you a watch person.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Trust me. I'm a watch person and if I go out of the house without one on it the same feeling as leaving your phone at home.

Anyone can buy a Rolex. It doesn't make you a watch person.
Exactly. Owning and rarely showing off an expensive trinket doesn't make you a watch person as such.

Or maybe it does? My dad owns a car, he hardly ever uses it, pointless for him to own really, it cost a few quid though. Is he a car person?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I'm definitely a watch person. The majority of which are cheap. Price doesn't factor imo.

The apple watch just looks crap to me. Like a shitty nixon.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I don't get it. You could probably fit about 3 words of a text on the screen. Fitness imo is it's only +.

How can you not look like a dick standing in the street playing with your watch. Typing etc on a tiny screen? Madness!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Exactly. Owning and rarely showing off an expensive trinket doesn't make you a watch person as such.

Or maybe it does? My dad owns a car, he hardly ever uses it, pointless for him to own really, it cost a few quid though. Is he a car person?

If you care or are proud of a purchase, I think that makes you a 'person' of that object... I know plenty of people with a more expensive car than me but to them it's just a tool, a white good, there's no passion for it. ForceIndia is right, it's not really to do with money.

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Exactly. Who needs an iPad!

No, wait...

ipad i can understand.. the iPhone screen is small for viewing movies on the go etc. But also, a macbook air is for the rich people so they needed to bring out something for the poor.

but a watch to read your texts on.. for real?

having said that.. you can send a p**n gif to your mate and join in on the experience, after all you'll have a live read out of his heart rate. wopdido

dk

911 GTS Cab
Hmmm.

So I wear a watch these days as a piece of jewellery, not to tell the time.

I even often wear it with the wrong time as I haven't bothered to set it, doesn't mean I don't like wearing watches.

Im not wearig an expensive watch daily because of my job, doesn't mean I'm not into watches.

I use my phone to tell the time, this would allow me to do more stuff on the device that sits on my wrist.

Just makes more sense for me as a daily thing, then leave the real watch for the special occasions.

Wonder whether it will be illegal to mess with it while driving under the mobile phone law?

Ph.1 172, FD3S RX-7
£300 so I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket? No thanks.

I wish Apple would go back to making decent computers instead of lifestyle statements for monied hipsters.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
£300 so I don't have to take my phone out of my pocket? No thanks.

I wish Apple would go back to making decent computers instead of lifestyle statements for monied hipsters.

How is this any different to the comparison of spending £300 on an iPad which does exactly (less actually) what your laptop does so well? Why would you buy one? All it gives you is convenience and speed in a slightly watered down version of what you already have...the same as these 'watches' do.

I'm amazed at the lack of buy-in to these. I bet if Apple were the first to come out with it instead of it being a 3rd gen offering after Samsung have had a couple of unsuccessful tries, the Apple world would have got right behind them, amazing, innovative, go Apple...

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
How is this any different to the comparison of spending £300 on an iPad which does exactly (less actually) what your laptop does so well? Why would you buy one? All it gives you is convenience and speed in a slightly watered down version of what you already have...the same as these 'watches' do.

I'm amazed at the lack of buy-in to these. I bet if Apple were the first to come out with it instead of it being a 3rd gen offering after Samsung have had a couple of unsuccessful tries, the Apple world would have got right behind them, amazing, innovative, go Apple...

But the iPad does everything that a computer does for pretty much all casual computer users, it's a no brainer, it's way better than sitting in the corner of the room with a desktop. It's better than a laptop because the battery lasts longer, it's lighter, it's easy to hold and so forth.

For most users it's just better than a computer in every which conceivable way.

The watch is odd though, it just seems like tech for techs sake. It doesn't solve a problem, great I can tap a contact and make their watch vibrate or I can read a text on it, on a tiny screen...I can even answer a call....and then get my phone out of my pocket to actually talk to the person, umm....

The beauty of a watch is that you know that if you look at it the chances of it working are high, if it's battery operated you replace the battery every couple of years...if it's wind up, you wind it up every so often. We don't know what the battery life on this watch is going to be, but it's going to be poor, what's the point in having a watch that when you look at it the batteries dead?

I was one of the people that "got" the iPad, where it fitted, why it was going to rule the world....I just don't see it with this....it's creating solutions to problems (and creating it's own problems along the way) that don't exist.

Jony Ive looked like a dick wearing one. Tim Cook looked like a dick wearing one. Joe public will look like a dick wearing one.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
But the iPad does everything that a computer does for pretty much all casual computer users, it's a no brainer, it's way better than sitting in the corner of the room with a desktop. It's better than a laptop because the battery lasts longer, it's lighter, it's easy to hold and so forth.

For most users it's just better than a computer in every which conceivable way.

The watch is odd though, it just seems like tech for techs sake. It doesn't solve a problem, great I can tap a contact and make their watch vibrate or I can read a text on it, on a tiny screen...I can even answer a call....and then get my phone out of my pocket to actually talk to the person, umm....

The beauty of a watch is that you know that if you look at it the chances of it working are high, if it's battery operated you replace the battery every couple of years...if it's wind up, you wind it up every so often. We don't know what the battery life on this watch is going to be, but it's going to be poor, what's the point in having a watch that when you look at it the batteries dead?

I was one of the people that "got" the iPad, where it fitted, why it was going to rule the world....I just don't see it with this....it's creating solutions to problems (and creating it's own problems along the way) that don't exist.

Jony Ive looked like a dick wearing one. Tim Cook looked like a dick wearing one. Joe public will look like a dick wearing one.

All valid points, I'm not saying they're perfect, but I can genuinely see them as being part of the mainstream future and hardware improvements will address a lot of the issues you've highlighted.

Will be interesting to look back into this thread in 5 years time. I have my humble pie ready...

Inferno 182 CUP
As someone who wore an android wear watch for a month. I stopped wearing it as a) it looked a c**t and b) people reminded me regularly

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
All valid points, I'm not saying they're perfect, but I can genuinely see them as being part of the mainstream future and hardware improvements will address a lot of the issues you've highlighted.

Will be interesting to look back into this thread in 5 years time. I have my humble pie ready...

I'm not saying they won't sell them by the bucketload, but is it another iPod/iPhone/iPad in the making....I just don't think so.

Personally, I think they've just overstepped the line from being cool to uncool with this, maybe it's a cringy marketing videos with Jony Ive...dunno...can't put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong either, Jony Ive is a brilliant designer, I just think they need to push him to the back a bit as he's got about as much charisma as a old skool white dog turd.

I still believe the iPhone 5S to be the best phone hardware around (barring screen size), that touch id tech is awesome. The OS let it down, I moved to Android 2 years ago because I was pissed that every iteration had the same omissions.

Needless to say, something has changed inside Apple - probably the binning of Forstall who was another cretin. New screen size, more extensible OS....finally!

I'm seriously considering the 6+ again now.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
On the plus side, all the text etc will be borderline microscopic. Should make selling spectacles easier for us:)