ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Apple Watch Thread

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Tablets do offer something that laptops don't. This doesn't. No one has said it won't be a success? Simply that I don't see the point/value having been an early adopter of similar tech. It's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for me.
I'm the same with tablets. I use the kindle app on my tablet, but excluding that it's used for less than an hour a week.

To play devils advocate, ipads were seen as a solution to a problem that didn't exist at first.

I said "I don't see the point in a massive ipod" but here I am, using it every day and would have another in a heartbeat just because.

The watch will go the same way imo.

I'm just not looking forward to the purgatory time period in which wearing a computer is seen as sad... I'm sure that'll pass in no time though.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
To play devils advocate, ipads were seen as a solution to a problem that didn't exist at first.

I said "I don't see the point in a massive ipod" but here I am, using it every day and would have another in a heartbeat just because.

The watch will go the same way imo.

I'm just not looking forward to the purgatory time period in which wearing a computer is seen as sad... I'm sure that'll pass in no time though.
As I've tried to make abundantly clear, I was saying it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for me. As in not you ;)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I don't agree at all. Something that offers something new has the potential to become essential (like the mobile phone). But this is an accessory. It'll never pull me away from a traditional watch.

Which part of my original post didn't you agree with? I can see both sides 'for' and 'against' the new device range but right now, for me at least, £350 is too much for a device which essentially piggybacks off the iPhone already in my pocket and merely acts as a lazy wrist mounted extension to its notification panel, doesn't offer me anything I don't already have except a snazzy digital watch that I can never wear at work because it'll most likely:

A - Get broken
B - Get me involved in an industrial accident

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I wouldn't say "Heavy" bent but I can see people getting their s**t pushed in for them in the streets

I just don't get how you can logically pay that money for it the Google watches are iirc around £200 which is worth a go but the apple decent watch I like is £700 my iPhone was £600 Its ridiculous.
In several years when there better I can see it working but I just think your sitting on a bus/train or at mates and you just start talking to your watch to reply to a text really ?

It's square.
Watches need to be round!
And with that pricing I'm not entirely sure who their target audience is because it isn't autonomous, it's an extension of a phone at best.
Would you pay £30 for a game then £25 for a DLC? ...Thought not...

But still, they'll sell millions and die hard Chinese kids will sell their kidneys to buy them.

Still, at least it's better than that ridiculous thing Will.I.Troll is pedaling.
http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/02/wi...-review-like-a-prison-sentence-on-your-wrist/

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
It will sell millions like usual especially in China but I would love it to be a sales flop but it never will

It did once... I present to you, Apple TV @$299 which didn't sell terribly well. It then went to $99 and did "better" until it recently went to $69 (because predictions are we shall see its successor later this year).

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I'm still pinching myself over this, I just can't see it doing well. If anyone can pull it out the bag it's Apple, but I don't know why anyone would want one yet...

Certainly everyone I've spoken too (both technology lovers, and fashion orientated girls with horrible gold iPhones) thinks it's hideous :frowning:

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
They're either selling them off cheap with plans to abandon the product or they're going to replace it. I've had one just so the wife can use screen mirroring with her iPad.

I still cannot see a valid reason for me to buy this watch though which, considering I can up sell myself on the need for most things Cupertino, is enough for me to stay away. To me, It's like it is trying too hard to sell us something we've already got.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Jony Ives spending 5 minutes talking about how they reinvented the pinwheel is enough to put off anybody but the most virgin of virgins.

Not only does it look shite, but you know the first person you spot wearing one in public is going to be a complete and utter tool.

(P.S I still love Apple, I just think they're believing in their own hype a little too much)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Updated my iOS software and now I've got some shitty Apple Watch app messing up my perfectly arranged home screens.

I did the same this morning... force another U-f**king-2 album on me but not this s**t... at least let me delete it! #butno

Eventually, we'll all have micro transplants so you can voice control the required features and talk and view the 'screen' without a tangible device, or hands. As a halfway house to that level of connectivity, this seems a bit lacklustre.

When they are £100 and look like a proper watch with a blank smoked face I'll consider it.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Forgetting wether it's useful etc, it has a big problem for me. It looks awful. Really cheap.
It's one thing a tech company taking technology and revolutionising the design (as they did with the iPhone /ios). But applying tech to an object that's already often purchased purely on design/aesthetics is a whole different ball game.
Someone needs to get an established watch manufacturer involved, instead of shrinking the ipad down to wrist size and shoving a massive button onto the side.

Everyone loves the android popping up in Apple's threads and vice versa so why stop now.

Android wear will be working on ios in the next few weeks / months. I know what I would rather pay for then.

This is one of them things, you either find it useful or you don't. I quite like my Moto360 but to a lot of people it's a waste of money to tell the time.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I did the same this morning... force another U-f**king-2 album on me but not this s**t... at least let me delete it! #butno

This is one of the "classic" apple issues that they refuse (for whatever reason) to budge on. This shouldn't have been an issue from iOS2 onwards, but today, it's still a f**king issue.

Androids differentiation between App Drawer & Home page is right and something Apple have wrong. if I don't want the stocks/health/whatever crap on my home screen, then don't enforce it on me....and creating a folder and "hiding" said apps in there is not a solution, it's a "workaround" for something that shouldn't even be an issue.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Agreed, when the iPad was announced everyone was saying that there's no point when you can just use a laptop and they've sold quite a few iPads.
I still remember it's release. Infact I feel like going to read the thread on here. Very funny including comments from myself.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I still remember it's release. Infact I feel like going to read the thread on here. Very funny including comments from myself.

It was hilarious. People really couldn't see the bigger picture which is that not everybody is a PC/forum geek.

Email+Facebook+Web. That's what most people use a "PC" for at home. iPad ticked all of those with one swoop. I still fail to see how people were arguing against it back then!

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Forgetting wether it's useful etc, it has a big problem for me. It looks awful. Really cheap.
It's one thing a tech company taking technology and revolutionising the design (as they did with the iPhone /ios). But applying tech to an object that's already often purchased purely on design/aesthetics is a whole different ball game.
Someone needs to get an established watch manufacturer involved, instead of shrinking the ipad down to wrist size and shoving a massive button onto the side.
But you haven't even see one so how can you say it looks cheap?!
Its full sapphire isn't it? Doubt it will look cheap in real life.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
But you haven't even see one so how can you say it looks cheap?!
Its full sapphire isn't it? Doubt it will look cheap in real life.
Not sure if you're aware chap, but there's one or two photos knocking about. If it's made of unicorn smeg, it's still a cheap looking design imo. I'd rather wear a decent watch and look at my phone as and when required.
But everyone's different. I don't use my phone that much these days. Used the train yesterday, 90% of folks were glued to their phone the entire journey. Didn't touch mine once. It's on silent most of the time, I check for messages etc when I want. No need to be contactable 24/7.

Probably use it more at work, just to fill time

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Not sure if you're aware chap, but there's one or two photos knocking about. If it's made of unicorn smeg, it's still a cheap looking design imo. I'd rather wear a decent watch and look at my phone as and when required.
But everyone's different. I don't use my phone that much these days. Used the train yesterday, 90% of folks were glued to their phone the entire journey. Didn't touch mine once. It's on silent most of the time, I check for messages etc when I want. No need to be contactable 24/7.

Probably use it more at work, just to fill time

Yes mate so would I. I definitely won't be buying one. I like proper watches too much.

I was just disagreeing that it looks cheap. You can't judge from pictures. A thousand times I've looked at pics of a watch and thought it looked cheap, then when I've held it in my hands it's felt and looked amazing.
Just saying the materials are all right.

Still won't be buying one though.

Clio
I see what you're saying...but, until just over 2 years ago a global multitude of Apple iPhone users swore blind and absolutely refused to accept that you needed anything more on a phone than a 3.5 inch screen. Do they think that now? Who'd be happy going back to a postage stamp of a screen?
I think you've just answered the problem with it.
People thought a 3.5 inch screen was suitable and with the development of apps and ability to get content to a phone it now needs to be bigger. IMO going to a watch is going back to a postage stamp of a screen and will severely limit any jump forward in practicality and scope for use.

Until they introduce some fancy graphene extendible screen that is not clumsy or awkward the smartwatch in any form will be a gimmick.

Cayman S Edition 1
Can't justify an apple watch, so I've ordered myself a Fitbit watch which does everything I need (heartbeat, steps, sleep monitor and activity monitor). Being rubberised, there's also less chance of it getting scratched in the gym.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I can't imagine apple would design something that looks and feels cheap.

I'm still not convinced that it will do anything worthwhile but I'm sure I'll buy one anyway at some point.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I can't imagine apple would design something that looks and feels cheap.

I'm still not convinced that it will do anything worthwhile but I'm sure I'll buy one anyway at some point.
With your girly wrists?
621ae146fb83c098af23c83becb9d78a.jpg

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I'll just buy the bling version and let it rotate on my twiglets.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Wtf...

It's an alarm, it keeps your heart rate, it has gps so you know where you ran on your jog....

But what does it do?? That's nothing interesting..
It's a bit more than that. 10 separate sensors. And for a watch that offers all of that, it's a good price (viewed as a fitness accessory). Not being waterproof makes it a bit pointless though.