ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The Age old Coilover debate...

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Clios coming off the road as my Company car arrives Monday (which I'm quite looking forward to).

My KW V2's are beyond rebuild, rears are corroded badly and to be honest I can't be bothered to send the fronts off.

I can get H&R's new for around £750ish, are these still viewed as reasonable?

AST's (1) from Cooksport for £995.00

Bilstien B14's for £772

Anything else I should consider?

Car is mainly road use with odd track day, now it's a second car will really just be a weekend toy.

With the above options they will need to fit my AST top mounts I've got fitted although I won't loose sleep if I have to fit the PMS mounts and strut brace kit.

Cars going to have a full suspension refresh at same time. (Although James and Mike at S&MWM don't know this yet ;))

What would your choice be and why?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Im in the same boat mate, ive sold my Spax coilovers and my cars been off of the road since September.

I was thinking about the AST's but can't justify the 1k price tag as its only a road car and I want 4 pots.

So after a bit of thinking im going to go for the BC Racing kit that Mick sells.

1, They are damping adjustable.
2, Powder coated bodies so should hold up a while (I hate rust)
3, You can buy different spring rates.
4, Dont have to wait week's for them to be built/delivered.
5, BC Racing coilovers have a very good rating. (TEG has them on his scoob and loves them)

I think Mick was doing the kit for £770 fitted although ill get them delivered with the camber bolts.

Have a look at Mick trader's page, his track car is fitted with them and looks good.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Im in the same boat mate, ive sold my Spax coilovers and my cars been off of the road since September.

I was thinking about the AST's but can't justify the 1k price tag as its only a road car and I want 4 pots.

So after a bit of thinking im going to go for the BC Racing kit that Mick sells.

1, They are damping adjustable.
2, Powder coated bodies so should hold up a while (I hate rust)
3, You can buy different spring rates.
4, Dont have to wait week's for them to be built/delivered.
5, BC Racing coilovers have a very good rating. (TEG has them on his scoob and loves them)

I think Mick was doing the kit for £770 fitted although ill get them delivered with the camber bolts.

Have a look at Mick trader's page, his track car is fitted with them and looks good.

Another consideration, TBH all the adjustment is pretty pointless IMO, I think I've changed the damping on my KW's twice in 5 years, found a setting that suited and just left them.

That said I won't rule them out.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Must admit the B14's were at the top of the list, imagine they will fit with the AST mounts?

I assume H&R's have fallen out of favour.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Pretty sure the B14's are still at the top of the list, need to see if I can get the price down a bit :)

If you're doing 80/20 road/track use then Billies all day long.

When I stripped my car out and got a bit serious they started being too soft for track use, but they were lovely for road use.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As its no longer a daily, so any road use it does get will be of the more spirited nature, I reckon go all out and get the AST personally.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
As its no longer a daily, so any road use it does get will be of the more spirited nature, I reckon go all out and get the AST personally.

The AST 1's yeah? Don't really want to spend a fortune after forking out for the new engine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd rather buy the nearly new KW V2's than throw £1k at AST 1's personally

I havent commented on them as no price in this thread.

If the nearly new KW V2 were 300 quid so would I, if they were 500 quid I still would probably, but if they were 700 quid then I wouldnt.

So it depends how much they are really as to which I would buy.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
I havent commented on them as no price in this thread.

If the nearly new KW V2 were 300 quid so would I, if they were 500 quid I still would probably, but if they were 700 quid then I wouldnt.

So it depends how much they are really as to which I would buy.

They are not, I got them offered to me @ £800.
That was a couple of month's ago now.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
They are not, I got them offered to me @ £800.
That was a couple of month's ago now.

I'd personally sooner have a new set of AST for 995 than a secondhand set of KW for 800, but it is personal preference.

TBH same goes for AST though, I would sooner buy a new set for 995 than secondhand for as much as 800, unless they were secondhand but unfitted or literally only seen a couple of hours use or something.

(Ive nothing against either make Ive currently got a set of each in fact for two different clios)

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Me to thats why I didn't buy them. Knowing my luck they would shoot there oil/gas out within 3 months of me owning them.

BC Racing or ASTs for me when im ready, still not made my mind up.

Meh. The amount of AST's that have to go back for issues, combined with how bloody long it takes to get a set. I'm not sure they're all everyone makes them out to be.

AST 2's maybe but they're mega money.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Meh. The amount of AST's that have to go back for issues, combined with how bloody long it takes to get a set. I'm not sure they're all everyone makes them out to be.

Was thinking the same on ordering a set, takes to long.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1

Cornering force will turn AST's round quickly for basic rebuilds and stuff. I totally agree they are a PITA to get hold of new through cooksport etc though in the first place, long lead times but in january that might not be too much of an issue for people?

In terms of issues, Im not convinced there is any advantage at all reliability wise from the KW, I think that both are fundamentally a good shock but that like most race items they will need regular rebuilds.

As an aside Phil, Ive got a set of AST's in bits this weekend (which I will be sending off to cornering force to rebuild as I dont have a way to refill and pressurise them) if you fancied popping round and having a peer inside them at how they are constructed.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Are they any different inside than any other coilover? lol

Not hugely different, although they are very nicely done, but I wasnt sure if you have ever actually taken apart any coilover, most people havent so just thought it might have been interesting to really see it rather than just pictures on line etc.

I'm off tomorrow to go and look at a replacement for the clio...

lol, AGAIN

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
My last set of KW v2 I got used or £500, I'd have another set for that price TBH they lasted 5 years but are royally shagged now.

For £800 I'd rather buy new.

Not hugely different, although they are very nicely done, but I wasnt sure if you have ever actually taken apart any coilover, most people havent so just thought it might have been interesting to really see it rather than just pictures on line etc.
Yeah would have done if I was free chap. A lad I know works for a company that rebuild them so seen a few but not in person

lol, AGAIN

This one has boost ;)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3

Mine have been fine so far. Saying that it can take a while to get stuff turned around if they're busy.