ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Thanks guys! (Trophy owners at FCS)

Megane 230 R26
Was chatting to some fellow Trophy owners in the morning at FCS, sorry I didn't get everyone's names, and mentioned Renault's diagnosis of loose baffles in my exhaust. One of the guys asked have you checked the heatshield, which I hadn't... I looked under the car to see the heatshield's come off at least one of the mounts and if you twang it, there's one of the noises it's been making!

Am now sat at the garage having that fixed whilst they look into the noisy drive train (might be a driveshaft clip apparently) and hopefully don't need an exhaust after all!

So cheers guys (you know who you are) and it was nice meeting you :)

Any chance you could let me know how much heatshield fix costs you? Think mine's doing the same, but never bothered to have it looked at cos don;t want to speand money....

Cheers

Depends on the problem but its usually an easy fix. The heatshield rips around the nut so falls off over it. Take the nut off and fit a big washer, refit the nut, job done.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
Heatshield was rattling in mine...

Local mechanic never even charged me to fix it because it was such an easy job.

Megane 230 R26
Heatshield's fixed, they did exactly as I expected (and as H182 said), which I could easily have done myself but I thought why bother when it's under warranty still :)

The noise from the heatshield specifically was a very loud rattle, which sometimes happened at low revs and happened lots over bumps, it also sounded horrendous if I dropped something in the boot which weighed more than about 100g, from more than about 5cm :S That noise has now gone, but it turns out the exhaust does indeed have a loose baffle.

However the noise from the exhaust is just a big of a zingy sound at 4krpm when the baffle reaches its resonant frequency, and the occasional quiet rattle at lower revs if you listen out for it... but the somewhat nastier noise which led me to believe the exhaust was on its last legs was the heatsheild itself... Great Success :D