ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tempted to come back...

Starting to miss my old 182, and I'm half tempted to sell my 250 and to come back to a Clio and get myself a daily as well.

IMG_3110.JPG

In terms of performance how does a 172 Cup compare to a 182? I mean I know the differences, but how does say a Cup backed 60mm 182 compare to the 54mm of the 172? Does it make any difference or are they exactly the same?

It'll be stripped out, caged, coilovers, etc. And then it'll be more than likely Turbo'd and fitted with an LSD.

So I'm not fussed on the comforts of the 182 (climate, cruise, etc). Weight of the 172 doesn't matter so much as they'll both be stripped out and I'll run an AC delete kit. It's just really the 54mm vs 60mm and whether there's any other handling differences. Also I seem to recall the gearboxes are slightly different (circlip?), which I'm not sure which would take boost better.

Would potentially be looking at low/mid boost more than likely - Meg Rods and Pistons, or just Meg headgasket, so aiming for around the 260bhp mark.

Wow at coming back from a 250.

:smile:

I would just keep the Megane if your going to turbo a Clio.

Don't fancy ruining the Megane as a daily, and it's just so much more expensive than a Clio on everything if I do decide to track it - £120 vs £50 per tyre, £300 per disk brake vs £40, Fuel, etc

I'm just looking at options, and I may need to look at a van as a daily as I'm going self employed so I still fancy a toy and selling the Meg could free up some cash

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I think if your looking at freeing up money, turbocharging a Clio isn't the best option - it'll be eating your money in repairs.

Over a reliable Megane.

You could get a second set of wheels for the Megane cheap enough and put part worn track tyres on them.

182 Turbo
If your ultimate goal is to turbo and LSD, dont be worrying about 6mm spacing differences, look for the lowest mileage / well looked after mechanical clio you can find. 172 Cups are often high mileage and they are also the most sought after clio besides the Trophy so i wouldn't spend the premium with turbo goals personally.

E92 M3, BG 182
That 182 looks stunning - what wheels and tyres were you running in that photo?
EDIT - Tyres look like AD08R's - awesome, I have them on mine :)

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I think if your looking at freeing up money, turbocharging a Clio isn't the best option - it'll be eating your money in repairs.

Over a reliable Megane.

You could get a second set of wheels for the Megane cheap enough and put part worn track tyres on them.

A turbo clio will end up costing you more than the meg ! Then when you get it all sorted you will only end up selling it !!

182 Turbo
a turbo clio has cost me nothing in 15 months of ownership, previous one also cost me nothing in 12 months of ownership.

Ive spent money on the car on non-related turbo things though.