ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temp needle up and down???

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
need to pay attention to if the rad fan stays on more often that you'd expect, if you're using the heating in the car more, general things like that. Doesn't sound very serious though, just varying temperature.

The fan doesnt cut in whatsoever mate? Atleast not to my knowledge? Thats what makes me think theres no real issue..

There is no pattern as to when it happens. Can drive the car for 3 hours and its fine, then ill drive it 5 mins and it'll rise but it always goes back to just below half way?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Right anyway, the saga continues.

Changed the thermostat to a Euro car parts one, do not do this. It is wrong and it only makes it worse.

So i bit the bullet and got an OEM Renault item, the temp needle sometimes rises up very very slowly but will come back down to normal position and repeat! Again, there are no actual symptoms to report it just catches my eye when it rises???

I've driven 150 miles on the new OEM Renault thermostat and no other issues seem to be apparent?

Is there anything else i should look at, its holding a decent level of coolant btw and i dont see any signs of leaks??? The fan doesnt engage either so i can only assume the engine is being cooled to a satisfactory level?

Thanks again!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
lol, i thought you might say that! :eek:

Do you really think its nothing? The oil level is all fine no signs of use of coolant etc so sort of rules out HG failure, ill try and bleed the system again but i really cannot think what it could be! :S

E46 M3
I have a similar issue. Mine is the wiring to the sensor.

My temp sometimes shows as low, give the wiring a wiggle and its bang in the middle of the temp gauge again.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
You mean the temp sensor on the side of the block? I replaced that also actually as it was only £5, ill inspect that!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
What was the condition of the coolant you took out originally? I've not seen it in years now but when the heater martrix starts to fail it can do funny things to your coolant temps. If you think it may have an actual issue still then it may be best it go somewhere now that has the equipment to take it further for you. I'd be looking at cylinder head temp and actual coolant temps VS live data temp values. Then we can measure the actual system pressure to make sure the cap isn't faulty before finally inspecting the water pump.

Mick

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
What was the condition of the coolant you took out originally? I've not seen it in years now but when the heater martrix starts to fail it can do funny things to your coolant temps. If you think it may have an actual issue still then it may be best it go somewhere now that has the equipment to take it further for you. I'd be looking at cylinder head temp and actual coolant temps VS live data temp values. Then we can measure the actual system pressure to make sure the cap isn't faulty before finally inspecting the water pump.

Mick

Cheers Mick, the coolant looks fine. Greeny in colour?

Just to let you know Danny, I just don't care anymore. I've tried to but I just can't bring myself to it.

You never cared, you just dont want me to be happy :(

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
***Update***

A new earth strap solved the problem incase anyone was interested!

The old cable that was on it was in a right state!

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to ask if the needle should ever drop while driving? Mine warms up to 5 bars (just above middle, think middle is exactly 4.5) and then drops to 4.5 before very slowly fluctuating between 4.5 and 5 while on 50 mph cruises? This is after about 30 minutes of driving. I've never noticed this in 17 months, am quite certain it's only just started. It used to be dead on 5 all the time.

It doesn't do this when idling (after said 30 min drive). Rises and fixes itself at 5 bars. I also checked the cold map RPM cap and it definitely revs to over 6800 rpm. Town driving appears to be fine and fixes itself at 5 bars too.

I've not felt any repurcussions, but I'm very paranoid. Anybody have suggestions?

Cheers