ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

TDC Sensor and engine not starting woes

Renaultsport Clio 182
Hello. My Clio 182 has been having trouble starting recently, the engine fires but does not tick over and start. Normally, it does this first time, but on the second turn of the key, the engine would start.

However, this weekend, it would not start at all and had the get the AA out. They managed to start the car by removing and cleaning the "crank shaft sensor" - apparantly it was causing the ECU to not detect engine revs (or something). I went to a Renault dealer and they advised me that I need to replace the TDC sensor at a cost of £173.

1) Is the crank shaft sensor the same as the TDC sensor? I'm guessing it is.

2) Now that the the AA has cleaned the sensor for me, do I absolutely need to get it replaced? Will it go wrong again? £173 seems a lot of money for something so little.

3) How do I clean it myself should I need to? The AA man had to remove a few bits before he got to the sensor. Seemed a bit fiddly.

Searching on this forum would suggest that this is a common problem on Clios/Renaults.

Hello. My Clio 182 has been having trouble starting recently, the engine fires but does not tick over and start. Normally, it does this first time, but on the second turn of the key, the engine would start.

However, this weekend, it would not start at all and had the get the AA out. They managed to start the car by removing and cleaning the "crank shaft sensor" - apparantly it was causing the ECU to not detect engine revs (or something). I went to a Renault dealer and they advised me that I need to replace the TDC sensor at a cost of £173.

1) Is the crank shaft sensor the same as the TDC sensor? I'm guessing it is. It Is

2) Now that the the AA has cleaned the sensor for me, do I absolutely need to get it replaced? Will it go wrong again? £173 seems a lot of money for something so little. Best to change it (mine was doin the same and the RAC told me it was the connections(When i took mine off it was clean, so cleanin it wudnt have helped)). I wudnt pay reno to do it as it was pretty easy to do(hardest part it soldierin the wire together as they are short)

3) How do I clean it myself should I need to? The AA man had to remove a few bits before he got to the sensor. Seemed a bit fiddly. U wud need to take the air filter off to get to it then just unplug and unscew it.

Searching on this forum would suggest that this is a common problem on Clios/Renaults.

Reno dont charge much more for just the sensor and extra loom than ebay.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I bought mine from Renault for £44 for both parts (sensor & loom)

I'm guessing the rest of that heavty quote is Reno's famous labour charges :dead:

Do it yourself and learn something too - more fun! :)

I'm fitting mine this comming Wednesday along with getting the car serviced so will let you know how I get on if you're not sorted by then

"Navy" N17 TWO
Panda, do you have to solder those wires "while it's fitted" or can you take something out so it's easier?

Panda, do you have to solder those wires "while it's fitted" or can you take something out so it's easier?

I did mine whilst it was on(more fiddly then anythin cus of the pipework), Dnt think u can do it any other way.

Oh and the price i got me TDC and loom for from reno was £52.10 in total and they had it in stock. So works out cheaper from reno than of ebay.

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
can you not get away with putting connections on the end of the wires and plugging the wires together? Or using a dist block and wrapping it? Surely easier than soldiering

Megane 225
can you not get away with putting connections on the end of the wires and plugging the wires together? Or using a dist block and wrapping it? Surely easier than soldiering

Solder Joint would be better tho! Dont want it coming apart again!

Megane dci 130
It comes with heatshrinks with metal solder inside. Just put two ends of wire in and heat it till they solder together. MAKE SURE you get the wire the right way because renault have flipped the connection over and its very easy to mix them up. The easiest way is to look at the pin numbers on the connector.

:)

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
Got mine fitted and.... I can't believe the difference!!!! It starts quicker, the revs a back to normal, it feels alot more responsive and fun to drive again. Also the mpg has gone up too.

Clio dynamique 1.4 16v
From where i was standing it didn't look too bad. He just removed the air box and pipe to get to it. He just used a lighter to melt the heat shrink tubes over the wire.

09 GIXXER 750!!!
I replaced mine yesterday. Parts from renault were 53 quid. Take out the air box and the TDC sesor is on top of the gear box. It is a little fiddly but only took me an hour start to finish and im no mechanic!!

My local Renault wanted £75 to find out what the problem was even though I was sure it was the TDC sensor. Then parts £53 and at least an hours labour at £95/hour.

Its really easy so have a go yourself and save yourself 200 quid!!!!!!