ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Tappets

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
Just started the Williams up for the first time this morning after having the top end done following the cambelt failure. Had 16 new valves and new cams put in.
One of the tappets is now noisey-why is this? Will running it for a while cure it or cause a problem?
Any ideas on how to cure this?

Caddy Maxi
they are hydraulic s the time themselves, if its still noisy you can clean them and there is a guide on retro renault, failing that a new set of tappets is about £70ish

1996 Valver
If you are running different profile cams, the groves that are made in the followers from the original items may not be sitting in the same place as the new ones/ or it may just of got sticky from being sat, run some fuel cleaner through it.

Hope it makes sence

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
Cheers guys.We are trying it with the original cams in again tonight to see if it dont tap.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
It runs sweet as a nut with the standard cams in,so the tappets must be fine?
Is the only option to get a brand new set of tappets if I want to use the different profile cams?
Any help appreciated.

clio v6
high lift cams will give poor running on idle..they are altering the mixture by keeping the valves open longer..
all the power comes at high revs....you may need to richen the mixture up so more fuel is going in..

clarkie, the cam profiles as std are 256 iirc and BenR's are 263, not really that much difference in the valve operation surely? main difference is the extra lift. mine did this when I had them fitted, it's not a problem, change to 15w 40 for 3k and change back to your regular oil, I did this and the noise hasn't come back. Really nothing to worry about imo.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
So nowt to worry about probably then.......
Ill put them back in when the Verniers arrive and change to 15w40.
I wanted to take the car away and drive,just to see if a few miles stopped the noise-but my garage didnt want it going out unless it was perfect!
Thanks for the replys and PM's anyway lads.

If your car has been sitting around for a while, the tappets will drain. When you come to start it, they will usually tap like buggery, 10 mins to an hour later and they go back to normal (depending on how gunked up they are).

Thing is, you probably ran then on the cams i sent, pumped them up, then put the std cams back in and then they ran fine lol.

Take them out, put them in some solvent and pump them (squeeze) for a few mins each to clean them out. Alternatively you can hold them in the palm and slap them on a wood bench, the tappet inner will pop out, clean it out with solvent thoroughly.

They are hydraulic so will adjust to zero clearance automatically, but get gunked up easilly and one 'dead' tappet is common when standing around. Try some forte top end treatment, it works a treat.

Oh, and the tappets spin, so you wont have grooves worn in them.

Massey6465 & saxo1.1
Il wait untill the pulleys arrive before tearing it apart again I think as its a garage job really. It was probably standing for over a month,but it seems fine now so hopfully it wont need any new tappets.
Chris