ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

T/C question

Bumder With A Buffer
It wont stop it totally but it will stop it from happening too much.

Also should maybe put it in the correct part of the forum (not a dig mate, it will get moved by a mod)

Breaking A 172 Replica
Different programs intervene to a different extent. I think you will also find that people use TC as a generic term for all electronic driver aides. Something like BMWs Launch Control, will intervene to a much larger extent off the mark than something like ESP.

Sam

A4 Avant
Moved to clio chat.

I found that when trying to pull away quickly the TC often cuts in too much and you get a poorer start.

With it on you shouldn't be able to properly spin the wheels.

E39 530i
It was just a general question about T/C, so that why I put in the general chat section. Some people...................................... (jokes)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if you floor it off the lights in the wet then its going to cut in, i find in the dry tho it cuts in when it really shouldnt when launching and you get a better start if its off.

i only use it for when im not driving hard and something catches me out such as surface water etc

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Different programs intervene to a different extent. I think you will also find that people use TC as a generic term for all electronic driver aides. Something like BMWs Launch Control, will intervene to a much larger extent off the mark than something like ESP.

Sam

Launch control was a bit of a dumb name by BMW imo. All it does is dumps the clutch at 7000rpm (M3) or 5000rpm (CSL) and sets your tyres on fire.

Mk2 172

Sam

Launch control was a bit of a dumb name by BMW imo. All it does is dumps the clutch at 7000rpm (M3) or 5000rpm (CSL) and sets your tyres on fire.

Its not 7000rpm in the m3. you hold it at approx 4k. my dad has one and thats what it says in the book. you have to put the smg in manual, dsc off, shiftspeed up to max and hold shift stick forward with foot flat out and it holds the revs at about 4k :)

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Its not 7000rpm in the m3. you hold it at approx 4k. my dad has one and thats what it says in the book. you have to put the smg in manual, dsc off, shiftspeed up to max and hold shift stick forward with foot flat out and it holds the revs at about 4k :)

Whatever:rasp: It still fishtails up the road like a beyatch. I was under the impression that LC gave you a racing start (until I had a go:clown:)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
BMW's launch control is not traction control. Launch control is there to solve a problem unique to manuals without a clutch pedal. If you had a car with a clutch pedal you'd pick up as many revs as you could that wouldn't just turn your tyres to smoke, then drop the clutch. And in an automatic with a torque converter you can lift the revs and hold the car with the brakes. But trying to do that on a manual without a clutch pedal destroys the clutch fast. BMW was trying to solve the same problem Ferrari had with its clutchless paddle-operated semi-manual gearbox, that they got left standing at the start in motor races they ran them in. But it may well be that launch control actually only improves your launch when you've got racing tyres to give you enough extra grip that means you can use those extra revs.

Certainly the conclusion I came to in my 172 at the drag strip was that with traction control on I could get away quicker if I drove away from the start without any wheelspin so the traction control didn't kick in than I could if I picked up enough revs to get wheelspin and left it to ther traction control to limit wheelspin by cutting the power.

Clown Car
I have found that i can still spin the wheels pulling away and the TC does not cut in as fast as i can control it using my right foot, i did'nt think it was working until earlier this year when it was icy on the roads, and i carried out a TC test on a nice quiet stretch of road, on a slippy surface it will cut in quite quickly, pulling away on gravel or trying to get away fast on a normal road surface it probably won't cut in, that's what i found with my car.

a thirsty one
in the wet its fine on the clio but sometimes in the dry pulling out of a junction quickly it cuts in and kills power just when you dont want it, safer to spin the wheels a bit and lift than have power killed.

if i know im about to pull onto a busy road i flick it off and if you have the odd traffic light grand prix i turn it off as well. 99.5% of the time it stays on