ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Suspension Decisions!

ph1 Clio 172
Hey everyone,

I need new suspension and have around £500 to spend,

I think I've narrowed it down to either;

• Vmaxx coilovers
  • new OEM shocks with Eibach pro springs
  • or Koni adjustables
Any opinions?

Cheers

ph1 Clio 172
Oh yeh I forgot about FK's, so the list is . . . lol

• Fk Coilovers
  • Vmaxx Coils
  • OEM shocks with Eibach Pro springs
  • Koni Adjustables
cheers

ph1 Clio 172
Just fast road use, I'd prefer it not to be too savage like.

It's got standard shocks with apex springs at the moment and its just a bit of a gash ride lol.

172 cup
if you want better shocks you can ajust the damping on the koni's so thats always an option then if you want it slightly stiffer then its just a quick ajustment away

182 Cup
If you want decent ride quality and improved handling I'd really have to suggest new standard shocks (if needed) and the eibach springs. The set up has had great reviews from everyone I've ever seen on here who's had it.

182 Cup
I've also heard that the whiteline adjustable anti-roll bar can work well with the standard suspension set up and reduce roll quite a lot. I don't know anyone on here who has that set up though.

ph1 Clio 172
cheers inferno

I don't suppose you know the price of standard shockers?

and also is it worth upgrading to poly bushes whilst I'm on?

172 cup
IIRC standard shocks are about £50 a corner. Poly bushes is only worth doing if yours need replacing. Most say OEM are good enough, and that polys are a bit of a pain to fit

172 cup
I've also heard that the whiteline adjustable anti-roll bar can work well with the standard suspension set up and reduce roll quite a lot. I don't know anyone on here who has that set up though.

I assume this is a lower ARB set up. Any more info . . .

ph1 Clio 172
So apart from the uprated anti-roll bar lol (cheers lads), new standard shocks with eibach sport springs seems to be the fav

182 Cup
Go with the Eibach springs and the new Renault shocks first. Put some miles on the set up and see what you think. You might not want anything else!

How many miles has the car done and is it on the original shock absorbers now?

ph1 Clio 172
its done 54k and its on standard shocks with apex springs, which the previous owner put on.

yeh i think i'm gonna go with the new renault shocks, where is the best place to get them - renault? lol

Lionel Richie
i did the test feature for "one of the magazines" (i forget which, performance car i think it was?) with the whiteline rear ARB, worked well, as in you could actually feel a handling difference with the twiddle of the spanner, test was at Bruntingthorpe, it affected high speed behaviour more than slower speed stuff, but you could "back it in" to the chichane quite nicley, for the money it made a good difference

Clio MK 4
if i had 500 quid i would defo go for coilovers rather than sportlines. People seem to be happy with v maxx and you'll have a fair bit of money left.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Tbf if you're on apex, any of the options mentioned will be a vast improvement. With that budget, from what people who have them say, i'd go for vmaxx. Not much more expensive than standard and eibach.

ph1 Clio 172
Does anyone know whether there would much of a performance difference between the vmaxx coils and standards with eibachs?

Hi, Claire from BalanceMotorsport here just a quick post to say thanks for the link to our site Inferno and to let you know we are here to help if you have any further questions.
Cheers !

Whiteline adj ARB .... Interesting. Anyone on here have one of those fitted?

Yea ive got the whiteline rear anti roll bar. Read a good review of it in Evo magazine, and also spoke to someone else with Gaz coilies who said it made a big improvement, which it does IMO of course.

172 ph1
Yea ive got the whiteline rear anti roll bar. Read a good review of it in Evo magazine, and also spoke to someone else with Gaz coilies who said it made a big improvement, which it does IMO of course.
Was it easy to fit?

Yea it took 30 mins on my own, very easy.

Made a good improvement too, hard to explain but it felt as tho i could lean on the back end more in fast corners. Felt more stable at speed.

Clio 182
Im thinking about lowering my car too. Considering the eibach springs with OE dampers. Which one are best for me to get a decent ride height and where from? Anyone got any for sale?
Also, I dont really want anythink too hard as want it to remain smooth over bumpy roads. These will be ok?

Cheers