ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Supercharged Clio

Alfa GTA
Hi guys I'm in the market for a Clio, in no rush to buy at the mo but was looking at tuning it up a little and was wondering how many people on here have supercharged there's? I see k-Tec do a kit but at 4600 fitted its a fair wedge! Is there a cheaper kit out there? Cheers guys. Nabz

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Personally I would go turbo instead just because the rotrex are quite fragile and cant be cheaply rebuilt like a turbo can.

Works well either way though, just make sure you budget for a quaiffe diff if its a road car, or a gripper if its a pure track car, as its kinda pointless having all that power just to spin one wheel with.

SQ5
You don't need an LSD for a road car with a supercharger, the power delivery is smooth enough to not warrant one.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You don't need an LSD for a road car with a supercharger, the power delivery is smooth enough to not warrant one.

If you just want to tear up and down the local dual carraigeway blowing away saxos I agree with you, but it depends if you plan on also accelerating hard out of any bends or not. Even an ITB car (ultimate in terms of useable delivery) benefits from one if you like to drive it "properly" IMHO

SQ5
As long as you've got good throttle control you have no problems. I've never needed one and never felt like I have needed one.

Progressive throttle out of a bend isn't making much more difference on a road setup any way, its not a race track.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
As long as you've got good throttle control you have no problems. I've never needed one and never felt like I have needed one.

Progressive throttle out of a bend isn't making much more difference on a road setup any way, its not a race track.

Seems pointless to me having power you can only use all of when in a straight line, but we're all different mate :)
Personally I cant see ANY downside (other than purchase cost) of a Quaiffe for example so cant imagine why anyone spending 5K on their car or similar wouldnt just fit one while the box is off to uprate the clutch anyway.

I suspect if you tried your car with a quaiffe, you'd never want to go back.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I must admit when Bomber took me out in his SC 172 it didn't feel like it particularly needed one, and was still destroying pretty much everything on track at the time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I must admit when Bomber took me out in his SC 172 it didn't feel like it particularly needed one, and was still destroying pretty much everything on track at the time.
You ever driven hard in a clio with a qualife diff in the first place mate?

personally I want one for my mrs daily rs2 Clio although currently she won't spend the money on one :(

As Fred always quotes, power is nothing without control.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
You ever driven hard in a clio with a qualife diff in the first place mate?

No but i've driven plenty of Mégane 265' with LSD. I take your point though, why not buy one if you're spending £x k on the conversion. It's just that you've positioned it in your posts (or at least how i've read them) as though it's a must, when IMO it isn't.

SQ5
I see what your saying too chip but the only one I felt maybe needed it was the 330bhp one, but it would of still been savage.

Running 250 odd there isn't much need for it. I supercharged mine for £2500 so spending half that again on an LSD would of been pointless.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
No but i've driven plenty of Mégane 265' with LSD. I take your point though, why not buy one if you're spending £x k on the conversion. It's just that you've positioned it in your posts (or at least how i've read them) as though it's a must, when IMO it isn't.
I think on a standard car it's a waste of money even though it works well simply cause its the same cost as a half tidy 172 is in the first place, but in the context of spending 5k on more power for a Clio, it then makes sense.
hence my turbo has one and my mk1 has one but I've yet to convince the mrs we need one for hers too. Lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I see what your saying too chip but the only one I felt maybe needed it was the 330bhp one, but it would of still been savage.

Running 250 odd there isn't much need for it. I supercharged mine for £2500 so spending half that again on an LSD would of been pointless.

Half again seems a reasonable outlay on a diff to me tbh mate. And if you had spent 5k like some people do on charger or turbo conversions its more like a quarter.

SQ5
uma3y3eb.jpg

egy6a7ar.jpg

ehapypyb.jpg

aju4asuj.jpg

The all in one pro alloy intercooler and radiator is a nice bit of kit.